Easyjet seating policy

Options

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    If you need to sit together book the seats, if you are not bothered then dont.

How hard can it be?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I'd have taken responsibility for my child and paid to make sure he was sat with me, instead of just passing the buck to the airline and accusing them of being irresponsible, and then going off on a flight of hyperbole.

Why is it always someone else to blame or someone elses responsibility these days. Personal responsibility seems to have vanished in an ever growing number of people.
    It's a safety issue, and not just for the child, if a parent is separated from a disabled child it could cause delays in an emergency evacuation if the parent has to go against the flow to help the child.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable sat next to a disabled young child with their parent at the other end of the plane, I wouldn't just offer but would be insistant that the parent swapped with me! Rather than get all sanctimonious that they should have paid and put all passengers at risk to punish them for their tightness!
    Not that it'll ever be an issue.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    It's a safety issue, and not just for the child, if a parent is separated from a disabled child it could cause delays in an emergency evacuation if the parent has to go against the flow to help the child.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable sat next to a disabled young child with their parent at the other end of the plane, I wouldn't just offer but would be insistant that the parent swapped with me! Rather than get all sanctimonious that they should have paid and put all passengers at risk to punish them for their tightness!

Of course you're right but surely if you were travelling with a child, disabled or otherwise, you'd be responsible enough to book seats rather than leave it to chance that the airline or another passenger helped you out of a problem of your own making.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Of course you're right but surely if you were travelling with a child, disabled or otherwise, you'd be responsible enough to book seats rather than leave it to chance that the airline or another passenger helped you out of a problem of your own making.

Exactly....

In fact, if you're going to insist on getting a seat for free then why stop there? Perhaps stand up on the plane as well and make everyone have a whip round to pay for the rest of your holiday.
  • zagfles
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    It's a safety issue, basic safety should be included in the basic ticket price. Not choice of seats, not even sitting whole groups together, but if a passenger needs assistance from a parent/carer for safety reasons then the airline or any form of public transport should accomodate that, as the CAA recommend.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I know this is the quoted reason they give for the guidelines but there are many other reasons why an evacuation would be difficult. People with disabilities travel, sitting with someone unable to walk under their own steam in the aisle seat is an issue, someone having a panic attack during an emergency might be an issue - there are a number of other reasons.

I have a cousin who works for the airline industry and he has been on flights that have been in trouble and he says the number of people who automatically reach for their under seat luggage which they clutch to them ready to take with them in case of evacuation is extraordinarily high- even when they are in the aisle seat and therefore block the route out for those on the inside. luckily he has never been on a plane that has had a serious forced landing, although he has been on one doing an emergency landing and stewards often have to persuade people trying to get stuff out of the overhead lockers to actually get off the plane as a precaution in case of fire.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zagfles
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    Exactly....

In fact, if you're going to insist on getting a seat for free then why stop there? Perhaps stand up on the plane as well and make everyone have a whip round to pay for the rest of your holiday.
    You mean like what happens on other forms of public transport? Pensioners and young children travel free on the buses, local trains and trams round here, think it's the same in most places. Older children pay half price or less. Their travel is subsidised through taxation (ie a "whip round").

And if a frail pensioner got on with a young child and there were no seats, any decent able bodied human being would offer to stand and let them sit. Rather than get all sanctimonious about who paid and who didn't.

But some people seem to lose all sense of decency when they fly. Like it's really any different to other forms of public transport where they cater to and subsidise those in greater need.
  • zagfles
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I know this is the quoted reason they give for the guidelines but there are many other reasons why an evacuation would be difficult. People with disabilities travel, sitting with someone unable to walk under their own steam in the aisle seat is an issue, someone having a panic attack during an emergency might be an issue - there are a number of other reasons.

I have a cousin who works for the airline industry and he has been on flights that have been in trouble and he says the number of people who automatically reach for their under seat luggage which they clutch to them ready to take with them in case of evacuation is extraordinarily high- even when they are in the aisle seat and therefore block the route out for those on the inside. luckily he has never been on a plane that has had a serious forced landing, although he has been on one doing an emergency landing and stewards often have to persuade people trying to get stuff out of the overhead lockers to actually get off the plane as a precaution in case of fire.
    Yes the videos of the recent Russian crash are unbelievable, I really hope they look into charging all those !!!!!!s who you could see clutching their bags going down the slide with the manslaughter of those who died.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/russia-plane-crash-emergency-landing-rules-cabin-bags-evacuation-a8901371.html

Maybe that should be spelled out in the safety briefing at the start of every flight. They say something like "in the event of an emergency evacuation, leave everything behind", maybe they should add "otherwise you may be charged with manslaughter if you impede the evacuation". Maybe bit OTT, but it'll get it through the thick heads of the absolute !!!!!s who think their possessions are more important than other peoples' lives.
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes the videos of the recent Russian crash are unbelievable, I really hope they look into charging all those !!!!!!s who you could see clutching their bags going down the slide with the manslaughter of those who died.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/russia-plane-crash-emergency-landing-rules-cabin-bags-evacuation-a8901371.html

Maybe that should be spelled out in the safety briefing at the start of every flight. They say something like "in the event of an emergency evacuation, leave everything behind", maybe they should add "otherwise you may be charged with manslaughter if you impede the evacuation". Maybe bit OTT, but it'll get it through the thick heads of the absolute !!!!!s who think their possessions are more important than other peoples' lives.

Should ban anything bigger than a carrier bag from the cabin,i'm amazed what people get away with bringing into the cabin.
    More so gate staff who allow blindingly obvious large cases into the overhead bins.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Options
    It's a safety issue, basic safety should be included in the basic ticket price. Not choice of seats, not even sitting whole groups together, but if a passenger needs assistance from a parent/carer for safety reasons then the airline or any form of public transport should accomodate that, as the CAA recommend.

I'm not sticking up for the airline industry and the way they try to make money at every turn BUT....

I still think it's a parent/carer's responsibility to put their child first. I'm convinced that some parents are irresponsible and 'use' their child to get 'free' seats just to make a financial point or save a few bob. Surely it's a far better (and safer) travelling experience if the whole family are seated together. I had a miserable experience a few weeks back when a very large family had obviously decided not to pay and were scattered throughout the plane in small groups. They spent the whole flight up and down the aisle, getting in the way, 'visiting' each other in their various seats, including letting the children do the same.

Going off topic, I feel the same about people who abuse blue badges for parking and similar examples. There's someone who posts on here about all the activities she does both alone and with family and friends. That's great but somehow though she qualifies for a free ticket for a carer when she goes to English Heritage sites.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure