Easyjet seating policy

Options

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Whoosssshhhhh

Is that the sound of the train going through the station or the plane taking off?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that the sound of the train going through the station or the plane taking off?

No, its the sound of lots of individuals moving seats as soon as the seat belt lights has gone off.
  • Naomi_Coleman
    Options
    Will not be using easy jet again, here is the transcript of todays conversation and not only have they refused to seat us together but I checked in 30 days in advance and the flights were booked in the date they came out in September after listening to Martin lewis, however even when we booked the flight they said my credit card payment had been rejected twice and on the third time they accepted it 12 mins later they had increased the price of the seats due to demand by £225. I will never use them again...

Ireesa has entered the session.

naomi: I am absolutely aghast that you have allocated us seats all over the plane, you have sat a 7 year old boy completely on his own, without any complications this is clearly ridiculous, as you cannot leave a child without a known adult whose so young, as you clearly cannot guarantee his safety and guarantee that he is not sat next to a dangerous person as you don't CRB check your passengers or know if they are likely to commit a crime with young children. My 7 year old is not a seasoned flyer this is only the 2nd time he has been on a plane. Additionally he has a broken arm with pins in it, which he had surgery for, he has a cast on. It has been especially adapdted with an air gap to allow him to fly (& we have a medical letter to confirm this) but he cannot do much at age 7 with one hand and one entire arm in a cast. Please can you look at the seating you have given, I did not expect such irresponsibility when clearly this is a family traveling with a 7 year old. We dont mind one of the adults sitting elsewhere but a 7 year old boy, especiallyy one who has undergone surgery and is only operating in one arm, needs adults around him to supervise him. You have one this crazy seating both ways. please can you rectify this. I have tried to telephone but have been unable to get through, hence the message this way.

Ireesa : Hi Niomi, thanks for chatting with easyJet.

Ireesa :
    To assist you further, please provide the following details for verification:!

May I have the name of the booker?!

May I have the email address used to make the booking?!

May I have the flight date and route please?!

May I have the name of! the passenger on the booking?!

naomi XXXXXXXXXX

naomi: XXXXXX XXXXXXX Manchester to malaga

Naomi: flight number EZY1868 OUTBUND AND XXXXX IN BOUND THE NUMBER IS XXXXXX. I am a BIT STRESSED, and I am terrible with technology, my typing is very slow, sorry for capitals and I keep hitting send when I mean to scroll down

Ireesa : Can I have the correct booking reference please.

naomi let me double check

naomi xxxxxxx

Ireesa : What is the date of the outbound flight?

Ireesa : Oh sorry you already send it.

Ireesa : Thank you I found the booking. Let me check the information for you.

naomi : Saturday xxxxx departing 16.30 at terminal one

Ireesa : I understand you concerns, please know that there are no seats available on this that can accommodate at 2 passenger seated next to each other.

naomi : RETURN FLIGHT xxxxx malaga at 10.50

Ireesa : Please request from the cabin crew on the day of your flight if the could request from another passenger to moves seats so you and you son can be seated together.

naomi : You seriously can't expect a 7 year old in a cast to not be with an adult? You can see the ages of children on a booking, we booked our flights on the very day you released them. You can see the ages of the passengers.

naomi have you sorted out the return seating, its one thing trying to sort this in the uk but another in spain.

naomi : There was clearly seating together all over the plane when I checked in but we never thought you'd split uo a 7 year old, then we have not been able to get through on the phone. This is absolutely terrible.

Ireesa : I am sorry about that.

Ireesa : I understand that there may have been seats available. but they were not together.

naomi : Yes there were if you paid a premium, this is clearly money making and destroying what should be a pleasurable experience for families, obviously when booking we did not expect Kaleb to break his arm and have is operated on and pinned, but we did expect that you would be a responsible airline and put a 7 year old at least with his mother!

Ireese: passengers who have not selected seats when they made the booking or checked in.

naomi: your system in todays advanced technology can see the age of its passengers, so when you book a flight within the fist hour they are released you can clearly see how old the passengers are

Ireesa : Please ask the cabin crew to place your son with you. I am unable to select any seats as they are not available.

naomi please email me a complete transcript of this conversation

naomi : well you have been most unhelpful, this is a life lesson not to use your company

Ireesa : I am very sorry you feel that way.

naomi: goodbye
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Don't worry about it - the cabin crew will sort it, no way are they going to let a 7 year old in a cast sit alone. And even if they don't fellow passengers will, I'd move even if I got separated from my wife.

And even if all that fails, just put him in his seat, give him a sick bag, and tell him "now try to get it all in the bag this time when you're sick, I know it's hard with just one arm, but don't get it everywhere like you did on the last flight". You'll get a volunteer to swap pretty quick ;)
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you wanted to guarantee seats together then the airline, all airlines, give you the opportunity to pay for that privilege at the time of booking, even at the time of check in.

From experience, easyJet’s system will allocate you seats together at check-in even if you haven’t paid for them - as long as there are some available. Worked for me 3 times last month. (Ryanair for example will deliberately separate parties who haven’t paid - but I’ve not heard of easy doing that)

It may well be that there were not any seats available together when you checked in - it’s a peak travel period flight probably full of families like you going on holiday - so a large percentage of passengers probably did pay for allocated seating.

As the agent has told you, take it up with the cabin crew on the day. You are correct that they can’t let your 7 year old sit on their own - for all the valid points you’ve raised. It might be worth approaching the easyJet check in desk when you arrive at the airport to flag it there.

One word of advice - your first paragraph on the chat was very long and came across almost like a rant. If it had been face-to-face customer service would you have started talking and just blurted all that out in one go? It’s unlikely! I appreciate you may be stressed out by the situation and annoyed. But there will be a solution. Be polite and calm. You will likely get a far easier and better resolution.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know this is a bumped thread, but basically the new OP is wanting allocated seats together without paying for them? MOst easyJet flights I travel on nowadays are full, there are rarely any free seats and due to that I always pay my fee in advance to sit with my husband who dislikes flying . Booking a seat early can cost as little as £3.99 when booked early, so just booking for your son to sit with one adult on both trips would have cost as little £15.98.

It is not uncommon for flight attendants to ask if anyone will move, it seems about 50/50 as to whether people agree or not , although on one notable flight last year by coincidence coming home from Malaga someone was almost removed from the plane by throwing a strop as no one would swap seats to allow her to sit with her daughter (no idea of age, about 10 or 12 I suppose). In the end a single traveller swapped with the mother so that she was only 2 rows away from the daughter, as pilot warned we were going to miss the flight departure slot.

No harm in asking though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. My OH and I often travel with Easyjet, never pay to reserve seats, and have always been sat together. Our most recent holiday was this last week - we got back yesterday - and we were sat together on both the flight out and the return journey.

Also, next week we're off on a family holiday to Spain - there are five adults and 2 under 5s travelling. Again, we haven't paid for seats but we are sat 4 across one row and 2 in the row behind for the flight out. On the return flight, we are across a whole row.

I always check in on the first day it opens, don't know if that makes any difference? With regard to the poster above, I think if that had happened to me (been sat apart from my young child) I would have tried a less aggressive approach ie I see you have sat us all separately and unfortunately my son has got a broken arm so really needs one of us sat with him - do you have any suggestions?

Accusing the airline of being irresponsible and suggesting they might sit him next to a !!!!!phile is a BIT of an over-reaction!
  • zagfles
    Options
    victoria61 wrote: »
    This is an interesting thread. My OH and I often travel with Easyjet, never pay to reserve seats, and have always been sat together. Our most recent holiday was this last week - we got back yesterday - and we were sat together on both the flight out and the return journey.

Also, next week we're off on a family holiday to Spain - there are five adults and 2 under 5s travelling. Again, we haven't paid for seats but we are sat 4 across one row and 2 in the row behind for the flight out. On the return flight, we are across a whole row.
    Thanks - so from your experience maybe Easyjet's policy hasn't changed? Same has always happened to me too, always got seats together, never paid to reserve, but I've not flown with them for a couple of years.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    victoria61 wrote: »
    With regard to the poster above, I think if that had happened to me (been sat apart from my young child) I would have tried a less aggressive approach ie I see you have sat us all separately and unfortunately my son has got a broken arm so really needs one of us sat with him - do you have any suggestions?

Accusing the airline of being irresponsible and suggesting they might sit him next to a !!!!!phile is a BIT of an over-reaction!

This ^^^^^^
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • zagfles
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I know this is a bumped thread, but basically the new OP is wanting allocated seats together without paying for them? MOst easyJet flights I travel on nowadays are full, there are rarely any free seats and due to that I always pay my fee in advance to sit with my husband who dislikes flying . Booking a seat early can cost as little as £3.99 when booked early, so just booking for your son to sit with one adult on both trips would have cost as little £15.98.

It is not uncommon for flight attendants to ask if anyone will move, it seems about 50/50 as to whether people agree or not , although on one notable flight last year by coincidence coming home from Malaga someone was almost removed from the plane by throwing a strop as no one would swap seats to allow her to sit with her daughter (no idea of age, about 10 or 12 I suppose). In the end a single traveller swapped with the mother so that she was only 2 rows away from the daughter, as pilot warned we were going to miss the flight departure slot.

No harm in asking though.
    Flight attendants can insist people move, no airline will guarantee the seat you've "booked", the T&Cs will always state you could be moved. Usually they refer to it as "selecting a preferred seat" rather than "booking" a seat.

But they will usually ask for volunteers first to avoid people throwing strops, it's usually worth volunteering, was on one flight recently when the person who was moved got a free drink, and many years ago was on a flight where the volunteer got upgraded to business class :cool: The latter obviously won't happen on Easyjet :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure