TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Do they have a warrant to search the property?

If they had, they wouldn't ask the questions on the doorstep.
    Do they have an arrest warrant?

LF evasion isn't arrestable.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    So basically don't speak to them if they come knocking, don't answer any questions and don't sign anything.
    I've got to cancel in a couple of days and I'm really worried about being prosecuted, even though I don't see how they could as I will be unplugging my satellite box and blocking iplayer on my router.
    Is there anything else I should be doing? Do I need to give tvl a reason for cancelling?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is there anything else I should be doing? Do I need to give tvl a reason for cancelling?
    No (unless you currently pay some sort of TV subscription to Sky, in which case you need to cancel that too). And no.

I cancelled mine at the end of 2010, and completed the declorations until early last year. Since then I've had a barage of letters and one visit (when I wasn't home - left a card saying they'd be back but haven't been).
    Cheryl
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 June 2019 at 2:00PM
    Options
    I don't know if this has already been suggested, but one way of tackling this could be to carry on issuing 'free' licences to the over 75s already in receipt, but charge those who reach 75 (and are not in receipt of pension credit) on or after a certain date. After all, you can't miss what you never had.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    I have Now tv - will I have to cancel this?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have Now tv - will I have to cancel this?

The plan currently is that:-

- If you are 75 or older

- AND you are not in receipt of Pension Credit

- AND you do not live in sheltered accomodation or a care home

-- then you will need to pay full price for a TV Licence.

It is possible to use Now TV without needing a TV Licence if you only watch catch-up, box-sets and on-demand movies, and you do not watch TV channels as broadcast (using Now TV or otherwise) or use BBC iPlayer.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    This is where I get confused (and believe me it doesn't take much to do that!). I've just checked the Now tv (which I never use but hubby likes it) and found I can watch live tv on there like the news. I had no idea you could do this. Does the fact that I can actually receive live tv on it even if I don't use it count against me? How do they know whether or not I'm watching live tv on there?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does the fact that I can actually receive live tv on it even if I don't use it count against me?
    If you mean BBC News (either on a BBC channel, iPlayer or BBC News Channel) then you cannot use those services whilst you are unlicensed.

If you mean commercial TV news, for example, Sky News, then you cannot use those services either as they are being broadcast. However, you could watch them later on catch-up and not require a Licence for that.

The rules have become a little bit complicated, but the original intention, as I understand it, was to have a fair dividing line between Broadcasts and pre-recorded material.
    How do they know whether or not I'm watching live tv on there?
    They don't. Enforcement of the Licence doesn't work like that. It's too early to tell what approach they will use with over-75s, but the normal enforcement process involves letters and doorstepping salespeople.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    Ah ok. There only seems to be Sky sports news on there and I certainly won't be watching that so I guess we're ok to carry on with the subscription then.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    If you mean BBC News (either on a BBC channel, iPlayer or BBC News Channel) then you cannot use those services whilst you are unlicensed.

If you mean commercial TV news, for example, Sky News, then you cannot use those services either as they are being broadcast. However, you could watch them later on catch-up and not require a Licence for that.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you mean must not. Or cannot lawfully.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback