Ways to stop overseas sales calls discussion

Options

Comments

• GrumpyOldGits
    GrumpyOldGits Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 February 2010 at 9:03PM
    Options
    coolchris wrote: »
    Get a piece of kit called "CallBlocker". w.cb.com Automatically answers the phone telling the caller that if they are sales etc, you are not interested. If, however, the caller has permission from yourself, then press "5". I find this a godsend as all the calls from overseas have virtually stopped. They occasionally still try but dont get through.:j

Actually what really gets to me is that we have to PAY, sometimes an astronomical amount of money, to STOP these idiots telephoning us.
    These units you mention at £60. Ok if you have the money, but lots of us dont! That's part of our main reason for coming to websites like this!!!

Im on the TPS and its doing me no good at all. One that telephoned me from (so he said) SE Asia. Said he was a company called "UK today"
    I asked for a number to call them back on and where they were based, and got a 'little bit of info' from him which I passed onto the Police in the end, because over the five minutes or so I spent on the line with him, he got progressively abusive to me.
    It wont happen again though. Im going to start using the 'whistle technique' if they dont stop pretty soon... Burst a few eardrums... :mad:
    Amazin' .. when I was younger I had loads of patience, that has all gone to pot now!!
    I really am what it says on my username tin! :eek:;)
  • headache5678
    Options
    I have received, so far, only a couple of calls from this number but at 5:50am. I guess it is a scam because 1471 advises that "there is normally a charge for calling this number".

Anyone heard of 08888 ?
  • Careful75
    Options
    I have also received a number of silent calls from 08888 in the last fortnight. After searching the Internet, I conclude that they may have something to do with a UAE (Gulf State) scheme to allow prepaid calls. But whether it is a telecoms glitch which causes the calls I don't know. I tried to phone the number from a UK public call box, but BT said the number was not recognized.
  • headache5678
    Options
    I also phoned the number from a call box today and I got the same BT message as you. You did better than me - my research was inconclusive as to what 08888 was.

I will post here if the calls persist or I get any more information.

If the number of silent / power dialer / "International" calls increases I will invest in one of those Call Blocker machines.
  • bature
    Options
    I have had one call from 08888 at 0330hrs
    Assuming the worst I quickly got out of bed before the answer machine kicked in but there was no reply to my "hello hello!"
    If this is a premium number swindle there has to be a mental blockage somewhere!
    Who wishes to get involved in anything over the phone other than a family emergency at 0330`/
  • rockspie
    Options
    Hya

If you go on http://whocallsme.com/ then you can look up the number to see who it is!!
  • chrisma232
    Options
    It's really annoying when the call centres ring and ring and keep hanging up.My sister had this with a catalogue recently and they kept it up.She eventually caught a time when they spoke and all they wanted was to know if she liked their service.
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We let all calls go through to the answerphone so we can screen them before we bother to pick it up.

Anyone who knows us knows we do this, so will start talking before we pick the phone up. This also gives us the extra option as to whether we actually want to talk to them - my mother has a habit of phoning during the childrens bath time so that gets ignored, and the in-laws always call during the last few minutes of a match so that too gets ignored.

Most sales calls will simply hang up rather than talk to a machine.

We have found the TPS becoming more and more useless - there have been zero prosecutions and companies have wised up to this. Saying we are TPS usually gets the response "so what?".
  • CashSaver_2
    Options
    I had to laugh at a call I had today from an Indian Call Centre. The guy told me he was calling on behalf of All Stop. When I asked him who they were - he said that they were the market leaders in stopping nuisance calls :rotfl::rotfl:

I replied "Are you sure you're not the market leaders in making them." However, he just carried on with his script. I then asked if I bought the product, would it stop him from calling again. :) After persisting with his script again, I told him I already had a method..... CLICK.
  • sonnychiba1
    Options
    I used to get calls everyday from a particular double glazing company which my good lady invited over. I continually asked them to stop, remove my number from their records, everything but the calls continued. Eventually I got the number for their head office and rang them about 10 times a day (usually getting the same receptionist) asking if they'd like to buy my bike. Each call got her more and more angry and abusive. Hours of fun. Eventually I asked her if I was being a nuisence to which she of course said yes. I explained that this is what her company does to me every day and if you want me to stop hassling them then stop hasseling me. Never had a call since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure