Ways to stop overseas sales calls discussion

Options

Comments

• sonnychiba1
    Options
    Another classic is to simply say random things when foreign sales calls ring you up. They'll ask if they can speak to you, say yes, let them start their patter then just say anything that pops into your head. A lampshade, I like a sandwhich but not on wednesdays, tippy has a small ear, tips over and clipped an elbow.

They cannot work out whats happening get confused, still try and talk to you and end up just hanging up. I work from home and get about 2-3 of these a day. I actually look forward to them now.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Invest in an orbital laser cannon that can track phone calls back to their source, and then vapourise the caller's building to atoms... Simples :) (Okay, I'm being sarcastic.)
  • eezer
    eezer Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    When I'm in the mood and have a bit of time, I like to lead them along, pretend to be interested and make them think they are about to get a sale. Then just at the last minute I'll change my mind and hang up knowing that for them time is money and I've just cost them some. Makes me smile...
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    I used to get calls everyday from a particular double glazing company which my good lady invited over. I continually asked them to stop, remove my number from their records, everything but the calls continued. Eventually I got the number for their head office and rang them about 10 times a day (usually getting the same receptionist) asking if they'd like to buy my bike. Each call got her more and more angry and abusive. Hours of fun. Eventually I asked her if I was being a nuisence to which she of course said yes. I explained that this is what her company does to me every day and if you want me to stop hassling them then stop hasseling me. Never had a call since.

Ha ha ha ha i love this one, good for you...
  • ShinyFSE
    ShinyFSE Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    We have been absolutely plagued with nuisance calls from this outfit, "UK TODAY" for over 3 months (sometimes receiving up to 3 calls per day). We have asked these guys to stop calling us on numerous occasions to no avail.

They first pose as a market research agency and later claim that they are attempting to do us a favour by reducing our outgoings (THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!). This is obviously some kind of telecoms outfit touting for business.

We now wish to take this matter up further with the authorities but do not have sufficient information (AS YET) to do so.

It sounds like some of you may have been able to glean relevant information from these guys (correct company details, address, telephone number etc)? Are you able to provide us and all other forum users with this information please? Let's name and shame this mob with a view to putting an end to their unsolicited calls and ongoing harassment....

To date, I have little to go on despite my best efforts. 1471 returns 'number with held'. Reps. that call us refuse to provide any information 'for security reasons'. Searches on the net indicate that there is no such company registered as 'UK Today' as far as I can see.

Irrespective of the nuisance caller issues, how on earth would unsolicited callers dream that we would do business with them if we cannot first establish their true identity?? They must think we are thick or something....

I am perplexed as to how these guys will have obtained our details? We are EXTERMELY careful as to whom we divulge information to and also do not appear in the telephone directory….

Thanks in advance ;-)
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've had a few calls from indian call centers telling us our PC has downloaded a virus. First time round I asked how they knew it was my pc, and they told me that our internet provider told them, so I asked who that was - BT they said. Nope I said and hung up!

The other day, they told me their technical department had told them it was my pc. So I asked how they could tell? They said by our downloads. So I asked how they can work out my phone number from my PC downloads as my ip address doesn't tell them that? I got put onto the manager. He assured me they know it was my PC, so I said ok, if you know it's my pc then what is my ip address, as you must know that? He hung up ;)
    Hopefully they won't try again :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • olliedog
    olliedog Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2010 at 8:05AM
    Options
    My junk calls have really slowed down lately. The only ones that still get through are mostly Asian. It's always someone called "Kevin" who asks for Mrs Eeeevans. I pretend to get upset that they can't pronounce my name (Evans) and after a bit of a rant I hang up on them.
  • headache5678
    headache5678 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, my nuisance calls have slowed down a bit. My current response is to be polite and when a voice caller asks "is that Mr X" - I say sorry you have an obsolete number, he has moved recently and no you cannot have my name. It works well in most cases.

Yesterday I got a junk fax from a boiler plate scam outfit trying to sell me undervalued Swiss shares.

I am getting junk text messages from Screwfix and Memorybits.
  • 1196rachel
    1196rachel Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of call centres use technology which automatically dials you first and only connects you to a person if you answer and speak. It allows them to avoid "wasting reps' time" on unanswered calls and answerphones.

This leads to a slight delay after you pick up the phone and say "hello" where there is no-one at the other end (when you think about you regularly have to say "hello" twice with these types of calls).

I use this gap to hang up. My friends and family would have greeted me immediately.
    Doesn't stop the phone from ringing but you don't need to get out of a difficult conversation.
  • wee_jack
    Options
    When I get these calls from overseas (usually India or somewhere like that) I answer the phone by saying 'Hello, Glasgow City Morgue,:eek: can I help you?'
    That usually baffles them, it's just not so ggod if it's your Doctors Secretary calling about your appointment!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure