MSE Big Winter Energy Switch

Options
gt94sss2
gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
MSE have just launched their Big Winter Energy Switch - their latest Collective Offer.

There are 4 winners depending on what kind of tariff you're looking for:

- Green Network Energy (5,000 switches available)
- EDF (13,000 switches available)
- Eon (Ends 22 Feb)
- Bulb (Ends 13 Feb)

More details at https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/collectiveswitch

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, it's in this week's MSE email :)
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 February 2019 at 3:38AM
    Options
    So here are my initial thoughts...

GNE (fixed 12 months) is coming out the joint cheapest dual fuel tariff for me (its only available as dual fuel)
    But Tonik offer the same price (by a fluke, the unit costs are slightly higher, but they offer £40 dual fuel discount per year compared to just £15 from GNE), No cashback, but no £50 early exit fees either.
    And the Tonik deal is fixed for 19 months, rather than just 12
    (and they can be beaten by using separate suppliers)

Eon (fixed 24 months) is about 7% more expensive than GNE

Bulb - about same price as Eon, and its variable so could go up at any time.
    - Note: although I asked CEC for prices excluding cashback, it still discounts this particular offering anyway! :mad:
    (presumably reflecting the £25 account credit when switched via MSE, rather than the £25 cashback MSE will pay when switching via MSE)
    - so I've manually added the extra £25 back on in this comparison

EDF (fixed until Jun 2020) is about 12.5% more expensive than GNE, but may be good for those on E7 who use a high percentage of low rate electricity as they have a low priced low rate (5.838p/kWh Eastern Region).

The above is based on our own usage and Eastern supply region - you need to do your own comparison. Note that the cheapest electricity supplier (for most) that Energylinx/Citizens Advice show is not included at all on the MSE site.

None of the tariffs MSE are promoting are for gas only.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    Green Network Energy
    9% more expensive than my new fix with Utility Point (ok, I am keeping my fingers crossed with UP!)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    9% more expensive than my new fix with Utility Point (ok, I am keeping my fingers crossed with UP!)

Ah yes, that would appear to be another low cost offering conveniently omitted from the MSE CEC? :cool:
  • NRGuser1
    Options
    Re EON's 'Fix 2 Year MSE Collective Feb 2019' - does anyone know if there's a requirement to have smart meters fitted to sign up for this tariff please?

Many thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Since when has BULB who only offer a single tariff been a MSE CEC special offer?

And the CEC cash back offer is worse than using a normal referral code.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also why are they now including the number of deals available?

In light of news today about hotel booking sites using numbers as scare tactics to get you to buy rooms which may not be the cheapest, this doesn't look good.
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am on EDF Easy Online Exclusive Sep 19 v2 and was looking at the new 2020 fixed rate. It looks cheaper would save £196 yr but would have to pay £70 exit fee.
    My question is that looking at my Energy account the new fix for 2020 has a grey box that states Switch in Progress. I have not done a switch to that one. I only saw it in the newsletter today.

Any ideas why it is showing that status.
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NRGuser1 wrote: »
    Re EON's 'Fix 2 Year MSE Collective Feb 2019' - does anyone know if there's a requirement to have smart meters fitted to sign up for this tariff please?

Many thanks.

Hello NRGuser1 and welcome to the Forums.

Happy to confirm that, no, this tariff isn't conditional on smart meters.

Hope this explains. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    cinders59 wrote: »
    I am on EDF Easy Online Exclusive Sep 19 v2 and was looking at the new 2020 fixed rate. It looks cheaper would save £196 yr but would have to pay £70 exit fee.
    Perhaps no exit fee if its an internal switch?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure