Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really? I was thinking about selling the Saab with a full mot and then buying my dad's Jag, even though it's a v6 it will probably do better mpg, only downside it's a manual, I tried to warn him when he bought it and he's seen the light now which is why he wants a auto Merc.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of rust problems with early X and S's. Totally unpredictable too as it isn't consistent as a lot of them are totally clean, but by the time it is bad enough for an MOT tester to spot it, because of the plastic covers, it has already spread. Jaguar also managed to keep it quiet that a lot of the "X"2.0 diesels couldn't get through the smoke test on their first MOT!
    Nowadays I'm a bit of a purist and wouldn't touch a Spanish Jaguar. If you go to the expense of buying an exec car, you don't expect to change gear yourself.
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    Need something with a tow bar, max budget of a grand, and hoping to take in a year's mot and a decent chunk of tax.

Got a mondeo in sep and have been ripped off big time. Paid £800 for it, 03, tdci, hasn't started in two weeks, and problems getting started since a month after I got it. Have been fed various tit bits of b/s from mechanics, who between them, without looking at car, have come up separately with glow plugs, starter, electrics, and injectors and battery.

I'm looking to cut my losses on it as it seems a wreck - I've a mechanic who's going to stick a new starter in it for 70 quid and see if it can be brought back to some life, or improve its resale. If not I'm looking to at least sell tyres with alloys and leather seating (no sure of value of these) and then the scrap value for the rest.

But anyway am looking at the following at the mo, only looking for 5k a year out of something, which can do a bit of towing in the summer:

http://www.usedcarsni.com/1999-Honda-CR-V-LS-119149200?grtkey=1390253866_cc5d6ebb486d4ebb96b6593dd86b650d

Put off by lack of mot tho on this, but it might be perfectly viable

http://www.usedcarsni.com/1998-Vauxhall-Corsa-BREEZE-16V-123984962

Older but fits the bill for cheap runaround

and

http://www.usedcarsni.com/2001-Rover-45-CLASSIC-TURBO-DIESEL-100571288

Having just got bitten on a turbo diesel I'm reluctant to go with this but then, like the ford when I got it, it's a nice looking car.

Any thoughts?
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Cant really call it bangernomics, the wife paid 5k for it nearly 5 years ago, but I've just inherited her Grand Voyager (technically free?).

It was a choice between getting rid of my last banger (merc) and the voyager. The voyager is so much more practical it had to be saved. I should break even on the Merc.

Ok, I've probably spent about £600 getting it MOT'd but it's well worth it. Timing belt etc done 3 years ago, new alloys and tyres 2 years ago.

Work still to do is fix a leaking injector, replace the thermostat and an oil and filter change.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Got a mondeo in sep and have been ripped off big time. Paid £800 for it, 03, tdci, hasn't started in two weeks...
    Cut your losses on the MOndy. Sell big bits and scrap it. I've had 3 mates with these, all have died due to injector faults. I would never recommend diesel mondeos. It's a shame, as they're otherwise good cars but those engines SUCK!

Of the three, i"d go ROver - after a bit of research. If I recall those have a BMW derived Diesel and actually tough as nails and very reliable. Plus you get leather and stuff. Looks twice the car inside of the honda and thrice the corsa. If the engine checked out, it would be my choice.
  • Farzackerly
    Options
    vqmismatch wrote: »
    I got a 70s moped for £150, its cost another £25 to put on the road and is then only £30 MOT, £17 tax, and £60 insurance a year for a simple runaround. I'm rather pleased with that.

And 100mpg or more - can't say better than that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    vqmismatch wrote: »
    I got a 70s moped for £150, its cost another £25 to put on the road and is then only £30 MOT, £17 tax, and £60 insurance a year for a simple runaround. I'm rather pleased with that.
    And 100mpg or more - can't say better than that.

I had an early 1990s Yamaha Jog back in 2001-2003 which I used to get to and from work at the other end of my town.

Full tank of petrol costed a fiver and lasted a month, Tax was £15 back then, and it passed every MOT without fail. Even after no maintenance apart from topping up the 2 stroke oil every month or so as it used to drink that stuff.

Happy days.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok, so it has been a year on Feb 1st that I got the Saab 93 after scrapping the Rover 600 after just one year.

Ideally I wanted a banger to last more than one year but at a purchase price of £500 it’s not the end of the world, but I’ve done it today. MOT failed on Monday and I had planned to replace the Saab with a Jaguar X-Type 3.0 for £700 from my dad.

But it only failed on some welding, which I have just, had done for £35 and rebooked the MOT, which it has passed.

So it is now time to add up and work out the last year’s cost of running the car.

Expenses-
    Car purchase price £495
    Insurance £198
    Tax £225
    Fuel £875.04 (£0.34 per mile)

Brake pads and disks all round- £84
    Wiper blades £10
    2 x Tyres £60
    Lamp relay £13
    MOT £40
    Welding £35
    Locking wheel nuts £28
    2 x Bulbs £2.88

Total £2065.92 for 12 months motoring
    Total miles travelled since Feb 1st 2012 –3101
    I am not deducting anything for depreciation as with 12months MOT I think I could still sell it for the purchase price.
    Over the year I have averaged 18.6mpg.

Total cost of £0.67p per mile.

If I had purchased a train season ticket it would have cost £668 and a bus pass would have been £490 and without a car I would have needed both, £1158.

A good value years motoring with another one, even cheaper to look forward to.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    I've had a very good bangernomics run, however with my mileage dropping I'm seeing less of an 'impact' from running and maintaining them myself. Still, every penny counts!

Sold my 75 Auto for more than I paid for it, and it took 4,000 trouble-free miles with no costs. Excellent.
    Now in an MG ZS diesel again, which for £450 with tax and MOT (sold the alloy spare for £50, so £400 for the car really) was a bargain.
    I've just had to do the cambelts and exhaust flexi section myself - but they're a morning's work for me and at very little cost.

The new ZS has just done a 1,100 mile trip without issue, and averaged over 50MPG too. Job jobbed. :D
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    Of the three, i"d go ROver - after a bit of research. If I recall those have a BMW derived Diesel and actually tough as nails and very reliable.

Sorry, but it's the plain old Rover L series (developed from the Perkins Prima).

Not that that's a problem, it's a fantastically reliable engine in its own right, the L series - simpler than the BMW 2.0D (which was only fitted to the Rover 75) and fewer things to actually go wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback