Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lol Vauban - "Heavy Mob" haha ha ha ha ..... rofl
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    ... and I've lost 3 stone this year..... It's keeping it off that's the problem...
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is true that most airlines now don't usually require you to start legal action before paying up. This wasn't true six months ago. There's clearly been what social scientists would call a paradigm shift. So I'm not surprised to see easyJet paying up - and to be fair, I don't think they were ever the worst offenders. Sometimes airlines are still playing silly-billies with legitimate claims, but it does seem rarer now.

How cruel to refer to me as a heavy mob. You wound, sir.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    How cruel to refer to me as a heavy mob. You wound, sir.
    Well your excellent guide must rank in the sledgehamer category... I was all geared up for the "ah am errrm, no" then they just paid up.

As you say, in the earlier days they were prepared to fob people off and hope they'd just let it go - thanks to your efforts (and JPears 'bumps') there certainly has been a significant change, thanks again.
  • MLParker
    Options
    Easyjet flight cancellation Paris to Manchester in 2010. Easyjet have stated 3 times the flight was cancelled for extraordinary circumstances, but never said what for. Their latest reply now says I will have to pay £10 for this information. Is this correct - and/or is there a website that will be able to tell me?

thanks.
  • Patcosgrove
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm just wondering if I can claim compensation from Easyjet even though my flight booking was made through Edreams. I'm wondering how EZY pay compensation. Does anyone know? If they return money to the credit card used for booking I will have a problem. If they ask me how I would like the cash, I'm fine. EU261 is paid to the passenger, not the person or company who made the booking but Easyjet's Claim Form says to contact the travel agent if the flight was booked that way. I'm sure Edreams won't assist me so I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any experience of Easyjet compensation claims? Thanks in advance.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As per Vauban's guide - the passenger claims direct from the airline. If you read this thread you will see how other people have been paid (but it will be unrelated to the original flight purchase)
  • Chanksie
    Options
    Thank you to MSE forum for the clear and concise instruction on how to claim flight delay compensation.
    I submitted a claim to easyjet after my flight from Bristol to Heraklion was delayed on the 1st of July 2015. I sent off all the information to easyjet on 30.07.15, three weeks later I had not had any response apart from the auto reply. I received this email back from them on 31st of August.
    “I apologise for the time taken to reply to your email. Recently we have received a large number of emails which has affected our response time. I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the delayed flight. We try our best to keep our flights punctual ad make sure that no delays or cancellations are caused to our flights. Regrettably sometimes due to unexpected reason our flights do get delayed or cancelled. In such situations we make sure to minimize the inconvenience caused to our passengers.
    In regards to the compensation request as the flight was delayed due to an extraordinary reason which was not under easyJet's control, Under EC Regulation 261/2004 if the flight is delayed due to extraordinary reasons the passengers are not entitled for compensation. Hence, I am sorry we are unable to process your claim for compensation.
    Thank you for taking the time to get in contact with me and let me apologise again for the inconvenience caused to you.”

After mulling over the response, going away and then revisiting the forum I decided to complain via the CAA as per Vauban’s guide. The process was very quick and simple and this was submitted on 30th September 2015. I had a response from them the next day as I had omitted to put in the details of the response from easyjet. I immediately sent the requested details back to them and had a further response to say they would be contacting easyjet and would respond further. Well today I have had email confirmation that my claim has been successful as the reasons of the disruption were non-extraordinary. A complete turnaround from their original decision and I will be receiving €800 compensation.
    Once again to the forum and Vauban’s guide for all the information provided.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Chanksie wrote: »
    In regards to the compensation request as the flight was delayed due to an extraordinary reason which was not under easyJet's control, Under EC Regulation 261/2004 if the flight is delayed due to extraordinary reasons the passengers are not entitled for compensation.

Well done for getting a result.

It's interesting that Easyjet just glibly informed you that 'it' was an EC without giving a full explanation of why or how they came to that decision. There seems to be a trend forming.

The CAA have instructed the airlines that if they claim an EC, exempting them from having to pay compensation, they must give their reasoning for that decision.

In your case Easyjet have just proven to the CAA that they are not following the CAA's guidelines and are, therefore, mishandling some passenger claims.

List of extraordinary circumstances
    This list represents a list of circumstances which the CAA considers may qualify as extraordinary circumstances. This is a non-exhaustive list.
    Note 1: The air carrier must provide proof of the circumstances alleged and why these circumstances should be considered to be extraordinary. It must also clearly demonstrate how these circumstances resulted in the flight disruption.
    Note 2: After demonstrating the existence of extraordinary circumstances, the air carrier must also explain what reasonable measures it took to mitigate the disruption.
    From here.......
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2211/20150929_Updated_CAAList_Final.pdf

easyJet
    1. Following the Jet2 v Huzar judgment the CAA published updated guidance (CAA List) on the incidents that could be considered to be an ‘extraordinary circumstance’. Please confirm that you apply this guidance when considering compensation claims.
    Yes
    2. Are you paying passenger claims for compensation that fall within the scope of the Jet2 v Huzar judgment?
    Yes
    Fromhere........
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2211/20150929_Updated_CAAList_Final.pdf

My point being that some airlines still try to pull the wool over passengers eyes in a disgraceful effort to avoid paying valid compensation claims. I do hope the CAA are taking notice.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Chanksie
    Options
    Yes I agree that it is all too convenient for them to just say no without giving a reason. When I received the email back from easyjet I didn't even go back to them and question why. I knew I was on a hiding to nothing with them, hence following the advice and escalating it to the CAA.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback