Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2015 at 8:04AM
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread -- far too long!
    I take it there is a difference between compensation and refund. I understand that there is no compensation due to weather -- in this case last week's fog at London airports.
    I do have travel insurance and will check to see if it is covered.
    I was booked on last Sunday's Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Stuttgart, which was cancelled. The hall was packed full with passengers, and we were told to either go home and rebook, or wait for a hotel voucher. I waited about two hours and got my voucher. I rebooked my flight for Monday pm.
    On Monday morning I called Easyjet to confirm, and I was told that that flight too had been cancelled due to fog. Since I had to go to work the next day, I went straight to St Pancras to get the Eurostar to Frankfurt. Obviously, others had the same idea and by the time I got to the front of the queue there were no more seats available.
    However, there were Business seats, and since I really had to get back, I bought one to Brussels for just under 300 GBP.

When I called Easyjet about a refund for the two cancelled flights, I was told it would take a week for them to process the incidents and to call back next week.
    I tried asking for a refund online but I keep being returned to the same page.

I am assuming that getting a refund for the two cancelled flights is fairly straightforward? How long does it take, on average?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    arunadasi wrote: »
    I was booked on last Sunday's Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Stuttgart, which was cancelled.
    I rebooked my flight for Monday pm.
    On Monday morning I called Easyjet to confirm, and I was told that that flight too had been cancelled due to fog.

When I called Easyjet about a refund for the two cancelled flights, I was told it would take a week for them to process the incidents and to call back next week.
    I tried asking for a refund online but I keep being returned to the same page.

I am assuming that getting a refund for the two cancelled flights is fairly straightforward? How long does it take, on average?
    Unless you purchased a new ticket for the Monday flight, I can only see one refund being due, for the original amount that you paid for your Sunday ticket (which was subsequently rebooked for Monday)
    Do you have one or two booking references? Did you make two separate payments?
  • arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, they were two separate bookings. I wasn't able to book it on my phone from the airport so my daughter booked it for me from home. I managed to request a refund online and it is now being dealt with.

This was the most expensive trip I've ever made, mile for mile! Over 500€ from London to Frankfurt by train. But at least I made it back in time.
  • Alison12
    Options
    Heard from EasyJet recently and they have agreed to compensation of 250 Euros per person per flight and as we were delayed both directions, they will be refunding 1000 Euros. This is great news because I only actually paid £100 for the return flights in the first place! I've just checked my Bank account, and it's gone in! I really don't think this would've happened if I hadn't used the Resolver assist through the Martin Lewis website. It was so easy to use, they do all the work for you, and they escalate it if you don't get a reply in a set period of time. Many, many thanks for all the help in this, and hopefully my result will encourage others to follow suit and get their entitlement. Fab news!
  • windmill26
    Options
    Hi,anyone has used a no win no fee solicitor that is not Bott? I found them pretty useless.
  • QuestionRequest
    Options
    We were due to fly (family of 4) back from Palma in April 2015 when all flights were cancelled due to the France Air Traffic Control Strike. The earliest flight back Easyjet could give us was 4 days later and this was to Stansted not Luton where we had departed from and left our car at. :(

We kept all receipts and issued a claim online as we were told to do by Airline staff but to date they do not respond to my calls or emails. If I do call them they say the claim has been escalated as its approx £1,200 and customer services can't authorise anything over a couple of hundred of pounds apparently.

I last chased them (for the 8th time) via telephone on 8th Oct when I was told the Manager of that dept was not available :mad: and that the claim would be escalated again and could I allow 7 days for a response! I have heard nothing since.

In the meantime I set up a Resolver case and have escalated it to the CEO of Easyjet (Carolyn McCall) just over a week ago and I still have not heard a thing back from her or anybody else from Easyjet.

I then decided to Tweet and Facebook my Displeasure and somebody did respond and they have now said that my booking reference is not valid:question: bit weird when I am looking at my boarding passes from cancelled flight and that is the reference number printed on them:(:huh:

I don't really know where to go from here....how do I get my money back as I mentioned its for approx £1,200 and that was back in April and here we are 7 months (nearly 8 months) later and I am still chasing them and getting the run around and more and more frustrated and angry in the process? Someone mentioned Watchdog or small claims court?????

Can someone please tell me what to do or where to go so I can just my money refunded for something that was NOT my fault. I'm sick of calling them as you sit on hold for over 30 mins and that's more money on my part. Having done it 8 times now I am starting to consider adding these phone calls to my claim too!!!!
  • QuestionRequest
    Options
    Hi,
    When I escalated my Resolver Claim to Easyjet a few weeks back to the Marketing Director (Peter Duffy), I got this response too. I then basically replied to Sigornay who had replied and told her it was funny how they had no record of my booking when I had actually spoken to her back in June about my claim and she recognised it then(?!?) and that my boarding passes all carried that booking reference. I basically asked her to go back and check her records again. I heard nothing!! I then escalated the claim to Carolyn McCall the CEO of Easyjet but to date have not had any response from anyone at Easyjet.
    Try escalating your claim. Do you have the original email with booking reference or your boarding passes?
    Alison.
    torelocks wrote: »
    After posting a couple of weeks ago, I filled out a resolver case for a cancelled flight. Easyjet just got back to me with this reply:

"Thank you for your recent email concerning EC 261/2004 compensation. We do not have any record of a booking with this email address and are therefore unable to reply to @email.resolver.co.uk
    To enable us to authenticate your request, please contact us directly at [EMAIL="customer.services@easyjet.com"]customer.services@easyjet.com[/EMAIL]. For your claim to be prioritised please ensure you quote ‘Compensation Validation’ in the subject line of your email.

For Data Protection purposes we require the following information to be provided in order to proceed.
    Email address used to make the booking:
    Booking Reference:
    Flight number:
    Date of flight:
    Departure airport:
    Arrival airport:
    Postal address on booking:
    Contact phone number on booking:
    Passengers first name/last name:
    Your Query/Claim:

Once we have received this information we will be happy to help."

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Sure enough, I have an e-mail generated within the resolver system. Are they trying to avoid using the resolver system?
    Should I close the case and e-mail them directly with the instructions in the above reply?
    Or should I reply through the resolver system and put in the original e-mail address? I don't think that'll help though based on waht they said.

Thanks in advance.
  • QuestionRequest
    Options
    I cant open any of the links to read Vaubans Guide. Interested to read as desperate to get Easyjet to refund my compensation after 7 months of not getting anywhere!!!
    JPears wrote: »
    Lol Vauban - "Heavy Mob" haha ha ha ha ..... rofl
  • QuestionRequest
    Options
    I managed to google your rules and am reading through but just a quick question....I answered yes to all the criteria but not sure on one of them. My flight EZY2278 on 9th April 2015 was cancelled due to France Air Traffic Control so is this classed as an extrodinary circumstance?

Easyjet only sent an email that day (which I did not get until I finally got home to the UK due to no internet connection) so we rocked up at the Airport to find Palma in Chaos as thousands were trying to get home after a 48 hour delay. We were then told that if we wanted to get to Luton (our departure airport) the earliest flight they could get us all on together was in 7 days .

After much queueing, then arguing on our part and her checking systems for 30 minutes, she said she could get us to Stansted in 4 days time instead...which we then took.

Obviously we incurred hotel fees, car parking at Luton, taxi from Stansted to Luton, my dog kennel fees, food and substinance during our delay, car rental to and from Palma Airport, which is everything that I am claiming for. Even though the Strike may be out of their hands, surely this is not an exceptional circumstance as it took them 4 days to get us home and even then it was not to the original airport?

As I am getting no response from the CEO via Resolver or from my phone calls or emails to them....should I now take this to small claims court? Amount owed to me is approx £1,200 (some was in GBP and some was EURO).

Vauban wrote: »
    I think it is true that most airlines now don't usually require you to start legal action before paying up. This wasn't true six months ago. There's clearly been what social scientists would call a paradigm shift. So I'm not surprised to see easyJet paying up - and to be fair, I don't think they were ever the worst offenders. Sometimes airlines are still playing silly-billies with legitimate claims, but it does seem rarer now.

How cruel to refer to me as a heavy mob. You wound, sir.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2015 at 7:39AM
    Options
    After much queueing, then arguing on our part and her checking systems for 30 minutes, she said she could get us to Stansted in 4 days time instead...which we then took.

Obviously we incurred hotel fees, car parking at Luton, taxi from Stansted to Luton, my dog kennel fees, food and substinance during our delay, car rental to and from Palma Airport, which is everything that I am claiming for. Even though the Strike may be out of their hands, surely this is not an exceptional circumstance as it took them 4 days to get us home and even then it was not to the original airport?

As I am getting no response from the CEO via Resolver or from my phone calls or emails to them....should I now take this to small claims court? Amount owed to me is approx £1,200 (some was in GBP and some was EURO).

You need to split out your expenses to those that should be covered by the airline under EU261 and those that you will need to claim from your travel insurance
    1) Hotel fees - in Palma whilst you waited for the new flight - EU261 duty of care claim from Easyjet
    2) Car parking at Luton - Consequential loss - claim from Travel Insurance
    3) taxi Stansted to Luton - should be covered by Easyjet
    4) dog kennel fees - consequential loss - claim from travel insurance
    5) food and substinance during delay - Easyjet (note many airlines will not reimburse alcohol)
    6) Car rental to and from airport - travel from airport to accommodation and back should be covered under duty of care (although if having the car for 4 days was more than a taxi each way they may choose not to pay the full bill)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback