A Warning - CapQuest Debt Recovery!

Options

Comments

• Capesy89
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Well if my payments are up to date, then I have no idea what they want. There is no other debt I've ever had, so there must be some mistake... I will answer the phone next time but will be careful with what I say.

Thank you.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Options
    Are the current debt payments to Capquest?
  • Capesy89
    Options
    Are the current debt payments to Capquest?

Nope, for my Argos one I ring ARGOS UP and pay over the phone to them and for my credit card I pay through my online banking on the Halifax website.

I am 110% I have no other debts or anything.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    They might just be fishing for someone with a similar name.
  • Capesy89
    Options
    From what I've read about these people, I wouldn't be surprised. They're morons and scum. So it can't be about those 2 debts of mine, surely? As like I said, I pay it off every month and I don't pay Crapquest a penny, I pay Halifax and Argos. (I did so 2 days ago actually)

Thanks to the both of you for your help. Appreciated.
  • Capesy89
    Options
    They've just text me saying dear [insert name here] please contact us on etc etc.

Well, the name in that text wasn't even my name...!!
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Call them and tell them you aren't the droid they are looking for.
  • Georges_dad
    Options
    Hello all, I'm asking a question rather than replying as you guys seem to know a fair amount about this organisation.
    A few weeks ago I started to get answerphone messages on my home phone from this company and I have no idea why or even how they have my number?
    Firstly the number, I have had this new one for less than a year and haven't given it out as I never use the phone. It is purely for Internet access as part of a package deal. It is also ex directory and has been from day one.
    I haven't answered the messages as they are an automated call which cuts off after a few seconds without leaving a number to call them back.
    I have never heard of them and more importantly am at a loss as who is claiming that I owe money. I always pay my bills and have no debt to speak off except my mortgage.
    Secondly, no mail has been received from them or anyone else requesting payment which seems odd as my address has been the same for 16 years.
    If someone has provided my details as part of a selling on of debt then I would have expected to receive written communication not phone calls.
    Is there any evidence that they make unsubstantiated claims or should I be concerned?

Thanks in anticipation

Georges dad
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Sounds most likely that they've somehow got that number by mistake. A mis-trace, or even perhaps something as daft as someone typing it in slightly wrong somewhere, which then gets carried through.

Unless you get anything in writing then I would just ignore.

I would keep an eye on your credit files to make sure nothing bad is placed on those.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello all, I'm asking a question rather than replying as you guys seem to know a fair amount about this organisation.
    A few weeks ago I started to get answerphone messages on my home phone from this company and I have no idea why or even how they have my number?
    Firstly the number, I have had this new one for less than a year and haven't given it out as I never use the phone. It is purely for Internet access as part of a package deal. It is also ex directory and has been from day one.
    I haven't answered the messages as they are an automated call which cuts off after a few seconds without leaving a number to call them back.
    I have never heard of them and more importantly am at a loss as who is claiming that I owe money. I always pay my bills and have no debt to speak off except my mortgage.
    Secondly, no mail has been received from them or anyone else requesting payment which seems odd as my address has been the same for 16 years.
    If someone has provided my details as part of a selling on of debt then I would have expected to receive written communication not phone calls.
    Is there any evidence that they make unsubstantiated claims or should I be concerned?

Thanks in anticipation

Georges dad

Hi,
    Although your number may be new to you, it may at one time, of been someone else's.
    There are not enough phone numbers to meet demand, so they get recycled, if someone changes number, for whatever reason, that number will, eventually, get recycled to someone else.

It may be the "previous owner" they are attempting to contact.

You can ignore it, unless you get something in writing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure