Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well the Sky+ box packed up tonight. Lost all recorded and kept programmes :(
    Any suggestions what to go with? Think the box is officially dead, tried all the suggestions listed on sky.
    It's either new box for £200 or engineer for £65..

Are you still tied in to a minimum term or on a rolling 30 day contract?

If the latter phone up and talk to them. When they say £65 please, say I'll cancel instead. Often the next step is they offer it for £30/£35. Again ask to cancel. Then you can usually get a free visit.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Will it say online whether i'm tied in? I know I upgraded to sky fibre max a few months ago, not sure if that meant a 12 month contract, possibly?
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    BB and TV should be different.

Usually if you take a discount, change your package or get new equipment they tie you in to a new deal for TV. As far as I know there isn't a way to find out this information online, you will have to talk to Sky to find out if you can't remember.
  • wolf12
    wolf12 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    How long is the deal for? If it’s only 12 months you’ll be paying the other 6 at full rate.

The discount is for the full 18 months.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can't beat them then join them - sky to offer package deals with Netflix on sky Q later in the year. Resorting to desperate tactics to keep prices high and stop customers leaving in droves.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    If you can't beat them then join them - sky to offer package deals with Netflix on sky Q later in the year. Resorting to desperate tactics to keep prices high and stop customers leaving in droves.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803096

And Now TV, although since Netflix is available from multiple sources I'm not quite sure how the rest of your post works in practise.
  • isitenough
    isitenough Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 March 2018 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    If the cancelled service was in ex's name, you could join as a new customer when that has finished and take up any new customer offers?

Well, SKY turned off this morning. I was hoping it would be later this evening but no.So I rang them up, got an English guy this time (after struggling with an Indian call centre last time), after originally being put through to the 'existing customer' part, even though I'd said no to everything they asked!
    Bit peed off that I can't just get a new card, he said I had to have SKY Q - even though I really don't want or need it. I'd be happy with SKY+ but he wouldn't budge so I agreed as I do want SKY. I had to get a Sat appt (at £15 extra) as I can't get a day off during the week and he wouldn't secure an afternoon appt.

One question though, my Freesat (Humax) box is also attached to the dish, as the SKY LNB (?) packed up 6 months ago and we just added the cable to the Humax dish and took the SKY dish down (we weren't in contract and had it 15 yrs). Is it easy just to hook up SKY Q with the Humax one? Should I call them and mention that??

ETA: I did a live chat earlier and they said there is no problem with the dish/humax etc. Also asked about the SKY+ and they said only way is a 2nd hand box (which I already knew about) and to call them after I've got one and they'll 'downgrade' from SKY Q and send out a new card. So I'll do that after I move as not worth it right now. What a bloody palaver though. Surely they have boxes??? Pathetic.
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
  • blackfritz
    Options
    Sky seem to be playing hardball at the moment. Gave notice of cancellation couple of weeks ago, currently paying £32 for full package - 60% discount. Best they could come up with at that time was just over £50 a month on 18 month contract. Had one phone call in the interim, which I ignored. one e-mail offering £49 a month for 12 month contract. Rang this morning to see what offers are available, and best was again £49 a month for full package. We are away the weekend it switches off, so may just let it cancel and see what transpires in the days after we have left.
  • StrawberryJam_2
    StrawberryJam_2 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2018 at 10:20PM
    Options
    blackfritz wrote: »
    Sky seem to be playing hardball at the moment. Gave notice of cancellation couple of weeks ago, currently paying £32 for full package - 60% discount. Best they could come up with at that time was just over £50 a month on 18 month contract. Had one phone call in the interim, which I ignored. one e-mail offering £49 a month for 12 month contract. Rang this morning to see what offers are available, and best was again £49 a month for full package. We are away the weekend it switches off, so may just let it cancel and see what transpires in the days after we have left.

Snap! however £32 per month (60%) has now reverted to £80, and with the new price increases will be £83.50 going forward. I've already paid £80 for the last month (oops, quite a shock to see the jump in cost)

[2017 deal was:
    Boxsets full price £38, was paying £15.20;
    Sky Sports Complete £27.50 was paying £11;
    Sky Cinema £8.50 was paying £3.40;
    Sports HD £6 was paying £2.40]

Want to keep the package, interested to see how you get on.
    2017 prices,
    Full Price was £80,
    60% off is £32 (unlikely to be offered in 2018 by reading this forum),
    50% off is £40/m, and
    40% off is £48/m.
    ..not including the 2018 price increases. Boxset bundle +£1.50 and Sports and Cinema +£2.00
  • sundawg
    sundawg Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    After committing to a full cancel and having my service disconnected, I received a call from Sky with an offer of 2TB Sky Q, Sky Q mini, free install, and the full package with HD for £52pm for 18 months. Was happy with this and took it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback