Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• Weave
    Weave Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2018 at 11:49AM
    Options
    My Sky contract has ended and they offered me 30% discount to stay when I had been on a 60% discount last year so I cancelled. Went back to them yesterday on chat 5 days before cancellation date and signed up to this deal.

Not sure it's the best deal out there but my monthly costs are only 50p more than the last 12 months so I am happy with the cost.

On the chat I initially asked for the bare minimum package and then asked what they could do to add on each extra service one by one. Each time asking them for a better price.

New Deal -
    - Sky entertainment pack £11pm (Should be £25 although they offer it for £20 to new customers)
    - Sky cinema £9 (Should be £15 but they only charge £10 to new customers, not sure this is correct though now I've looked at their website!)
    - Sky Box Sets £2.50 (should be £5)
    - Sky multi-screen (we have two sky+ boxes) £12 (no discount)
    - I cancelled kids pack as we rarely us it
    - I cancelled HD as we can't download any HD content due to really rubbish broadband and we never remember to switch to HD channels when watching live telly.

Total cost is now £34.50 for 12 month contact and they told me it will revert to £60 per month after 12 months so represents 42.5% discount if my maths are correct.

If we had Virgin or half decent broadband I would have gone elsewhere but as we don't Sky is our best option for now.
  • Len_Beach
    Len_Beach Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 February 2018 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Ive just had a horrendous experience with retentions.

I currently have an old package as Ive been a bit lax with upkeep. My current package is:
    Sky Cinema
    Sky HD which includes box sets and F1
    Entertainment
    Documentaries
    Multi room with 2 further TVs using Sky Eyes so 4 TVs from 2 boxes
    Sky Broadband
    Evening and Weekend calls

The total cost is £103.95 which I was informed will move to £106.45 in April.

I dont have a landline phone so god knows how I ended up with an evening and weekend call package so thats £4.00 straight out of the bill taking me to £99.95.

Whatever I do, I want to move to Sky Q with 1x 2tb box and 3x minis.

After 30 minutes of discussion with 2 people and being put through to retention and updating to the new packages, removing the call package (£4.00) and not adding Kids which I currently have (£5.00) but adding all Sky Sports to get me F1 and Golf, I was offered £99 a month and a £313 installation fee.

Referring back to the fact I was thanked at the start of the call for my 8 years of loyalty, I asked why a new customer would be offered this package for £92 a month and £283 installation cost, I was told they could match the installation cost of £283 but the £99 was the best they could do.

I was extremely disappointed. I was friendly, assertive and let them fill the silence. I thought there would be more interest in keeping me.

I served my notice on the TV package at £73.95 so lets see what offers rock up. The £8.00 saving on Cinema in my Interactive wont cut it Im afraid.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Len_Beach wrote: »
    The total cost is £103.95 which I was informed will move to £106.45 in April.

I served my notice on the TV package at £73.95 so lets see what offers rock up. The £8.00 saving on Cinema in my Interactive wont cut it Im afraid.

You've done the right thing in putting a cancellation in although the fact that you've been paying over £100 a month for however long is probably why they don't think you're serious yet.

You'll have to be be persistent in using the phone or live chat to get better than what they've offered. Get some comparison costs ready for both TV & broadband.
  • Len_Beach
    Options
    You've done the right thing in putting a cancellation in although the fact that you've been paying over £100 a month for however long is probably why they don't think you're serious yet.

You'll have to be be persistent in using the phone or live chat to get better than what they've offered. Get some comparison costs ready for both TV & broadband.

Thanks.

I can get broadband for £17 a month so that’s a saving of 50%, my challenge is the TV as I’m in a non Virgin area so there aren’t many other options.

I’ll give it a week and try live chat.
  • isitenough
    isitenough Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    If the cancelled service was in ex's name, you could join as a new customer when that has finished and take up any new customer offers?

Not sure what I can do yet as I spoke to them and can't take out a new contract until the old one has finished (switched off the service). Which is a pain as that means I'll have SKY downtime between the old and the new - as I assume I'll need a new card? I just want the basic package so hopefully it won't be too expensive. We'll see.
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    isitenough wrote: »
    Not sure what I can do yet as I spoke to them and can't take out a new contract until the old one has finished (switched off the service). Which is a pain as that means I'll have SKY downtime between the old and the new - as I assume I'll need a new card? I just want the basic package so hopefully it won't be too expensive. We'll see.
    You don't need a new card and switching back on for tv(unlke with internet) is instant.

There are a number of us on this forum who can attest to the fact that there is life without Sky. I've been without for 3 months and am still here.
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2018 at 1:45PM
    Options
    My sister took an offer to stay on her Sky ADSL BB and Line rental last week, she was happy enough even though having a long line she can get no more than 5/6 mbps.

Now today she has decided she will cancel the offer ( within 30 day cancel period) and presume she will go back as before the offer, so is just out of contract.
    Its because she has seen the vodafone fibre offer and thinks this will offer more options in future, rather than always stuck with a long line low speed BB, and she lives pretty close to a fibre cabinet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SeeMe wrote: »
    My sister took an offer to stay on her Sky ADSL BB and Line rental last week, she was happy enough even though having a long line she can get no more than 5/6 mbps.

Now today she has decided she will cancel the offer ( within 30 day cancel period) and presume she will go back as before the offer, so is just out of contract.
    Its because she has seen the vodafone fibre offer and thinks this will offer more options in future, rather than always stuck with a long line low speed BB, and she lives pretty close to a fibre cabinet.

It'l be interesting to see if Sky will make her an offer on fibre to retain her or not.
  • moneybairn
    Options
    I am currently due to be cut off from Sky TV in a few days. I have had 60% off the last 2 years after going through with cancellation and someone phoning me and offering me the 60% off(also got it in email as well).

I have done the same this year but can't get them to budge from 40% off. It's an ok offer but because I have had better am I going to keep holding out but going by recent posts it doesn't look like they are doing big offers at the moment.
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had cancelled Sky HD + connection last summer after being with them for few years.

Got an email yesterday with a Unique Offer Code for half price to rejoin Sky Q with 18 months contract.

I've read poor reviews about Sky Q and its touchpad remote. Have they ironed it out now?

I had News & Documentaries during my last connection. Have these been merged to their Entertainment pack? If so, are Euronews, RT news and other world news channels available?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback