Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again AC.

I'm in the deranged insomnia gang too, doing battle with stair lifts and dental receptionists. Come the day.........

A thought about packing and moving. If this were an ideal world you would by now have a flat full of free boxes and organised packed stuff. But it isn't and you haven't, for perfectly understandable reasons.

Do get a quote from a 'proper' removal company to include delivering boxes. Might be a bit expensive, but in the grand financial/health/sanity scheme probably worth it.

I thought of sending this at 2.30am but was trying not to be awake. I have lost all grip on reality, and a couple of nights ago convinced myself that this rough patch is linked to anniversaries. 6 years on prednisolone; 2 years since embolism. I know October is an odd month for you too. And I am now rambling. Time for coffee.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aw, bless you both, AC and wendym, I thought I could do insomnia...

For what it's worth, wendym, I am extremely glad I am neither a stair lift nor a dental receptionist! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    You need not worry about the dental receptionist, Smodlet. She is protected by an invisible and impermeable cloak of stupidity. One of the lesser known Harry Potter titles.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Wendy , stay tough and strong and you will get there .
    Unfortunately , there are ignorant people everywhere ( dental receptionist )
    The ignorance I find on a daily basis : colleague who talks to me as if I ave just left school and know nothing . People who want things done and snub me, knowing that I can easily do what's required ( and more ).
    People in the clique ( sneering at me , looking for reasons to snub me )
    And it goes on
    Then you have people looking at their phone instead of what's in front of them. People with rucksacks on their back on the underground and bus .
    Women with bawling brats who use the front entrance of an already packed bus .
    Shoot them all ! Life would be so much better .
    My colleague has a 1 bedroom flat. a disabled wife and he supports West Ham . Alf garnett or what? And I'm supposed to be the dopey one .

One lesson I have learned .: do not be so keen/ eager / willing or be willing to have a laugh at your own expense. People take advantage of that .
    !!!!!!
    Rant over :)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Okay.. Went to bed around 4.20 pm
    Had a great sleep , till about 4.45pm. Mobile rings. It is in kitchen being charged up. I'm too tired to answer it . 10 mins late , i check missed call.
    Chase Buchanan ..

They have liaised with buyers solicitors. Buyers solicitors happy with the latest answers to questions asked. They have forwarded the info. To buyers .
    Looks like 4th Nov completion. However, chase Buchanan will call me tomorrow . Now, my solicitor is away till Monday . I see him on Monday to sign contract. In theory, amid all the excitement maybe chase Buchanan meant 11 Nov completion. If not,I may end up having less than 2 weeks required ( possibly exchange tues/ weds next week.? )
    Confused, but it does look promising.
    The chap at chase Buchanan is in tomorrow , but away fro a few days after that. He also says, that as from now it's all out of chase buchanans hands.
    Sounds good whatever happens..
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Good stuff AC! Remember you can ask for a completion date that suits you. If you want 11th then just say that (it's a Friday though!). Don't feel pressured at having less than 2 weeks between exchange and completion
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks copperjar:)
    Yeah. TBH , if I exchanged tomorrow, I would've been happy.
    So, just to be boring and reiterate: I could exchange before next Friday .
    Hopefully midweek . Then, time to rock!( and get a little stressed;))
  • Amorabrighton
    Amorabrighton Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2016 at 12:21AM
    Options
    Hi AC, LL, Smodlet, Wendy and everyone who has contributed such inspirational posts to this thread. I am a short-term lurker, having stumbled across this thread earlier this month, when looking for positive reinforcement as I embark on my own post-50 adventures. I ended reading the whole thread!!! It really struck a chord with me.

I have been so impressed with your courage AC, when so many people just accept their lot. You have taken giant steps to a bright new future and I am sure that a year from now you will look back and Twickenham will be a fond, but distant memory and you will be relishing your new location, having found new opportunities that let you express your true spirit. I moved to a new city a couple of years ago and although scary at the time, it has turned out to be an excellent decision. And believe me, having been a West Londoner and then moving out, you will find life less stressful, less expensive and more human (people actually talk to you!). I have made more friends, more quickly here than in years in the Smoke. And I wouldn't commute again if you paid me £150k a year!

One thing you might like to consider is to do some volunteering (maybe for an animal charity) to get to know some people in Poole. I volunteered when I came up here, and met some amazing folks. There are websites that show the opportunities in your area. I also have found getting out in nature and walking has been a huge boost to my mental and physical health. There are so many new experiences awaiting you and I hope that you will continue to share once you make your move.

I am humbled reading the posts and the amazing advice shared so generously ... especially from Life Coach Extraordinaire, LL. Your journey is a real page turner ... and I am hoping that the one year anniversary of this thread at the end of the month will be momentous and that you will have exchanged, cracked open the bubbly and be very much on your way!!!

Thank you for sharing this journey - I am sure I am not alone in feeling blessed to have come across it.

I wish you all the best.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    My God amora ! You must be mad. You read all this thread ?!:)
    Thank you for your lovely post :)
    You did this post after midnight too:)
    You have found( as I of course) , great help and advice from great people.
    Tbh, I don't know where I'd be without it .

Feel so much better this morning . Sure , I woke up around 2.30 am.
    However, fell asleep at 10.30 . Woke up at 2.30, this time though I fell asleep about 10 mins later .
    Hope you all have a great day ahead of you

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 October 2016 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Wendy , stay tough and strong and you will get there .
    Unfortunately , there are ignorant people everywhere ( dental receptionist )
    The ignorance I find on a daily basis : colleague who talks to me as if I have just left school and know nothing . People who want things done and snub me, knowing that I can easily do what's required ( and more ).
    People in the clique ( sneering at me , looking for reasons to snub me )
    And it goes on
    Then you have people looking at their phone instead of what's in front of them. People with rucksacks on their back on the underground and bus .
    Women with bawling brats who use the front entrance of an already packed bus .
    Shoot them all ! Life would be so much better .
    My colleague has a 1 bedroom flat. a disabled wife and he supports West Ham . Alf garnett or what? And I'm supposed to be the dopey one .

One lesson I have learned .: do not be so keen/ eager / willing or be willing to have a laugh at your own expense. People take advantage of that .
    !!!!!!
    Rant over :)

Well I hope you feel better having got that off your chest.........:rotfl::rotfl:

Glad you've had a bit more sleep, hopefully you will reap the benefits.

"ITs a new dawn, a new day, and I'm feeling good".

I love that song and. I woke up,with it running through my head. It sums up perfectly how I feel today. Cheerful and optimistic.

Had a call from "Darren" from the claims department to tell me he has raised a cheque for my Physio treatments........wahoo.

It's always nice to hear the magic words "the cheques in the post";)

. It's a another lovely gentle autum day here, the sun flooding our sitting room. The cat has just gone out to his favourite space under our "red robin " tree - don't know the proper Name but it's a shrub I bought for £2 a couple of years ago. It's now about 5ft high and has the most glorious red/purple leaves. The cat loves it.

Well I had a surprisingly uplifting day yesterday. I spent it with my dad and my sister. They live in the country and the drive out was just gorgeous. So nice to have a motor again. Poop poop.

Derbyshire was in full autum boasting mood, the trees a glorious mix of greens, golds, reds and purples. I do love the English countryside, especially at this time of the year. Autumn is my favourite.

"season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" and all that.....,,

AC. What a long way you've come in a year. Soon your journey will take another turn.......how exciting. I do hope you will start another thread when the next stage begins.

I am so looking forward to "Part Deux". :rotfl:

I wonder how many readers you have collected along the way......maybe you should start a blog.

(I am thinking of doing one. Just for fun - I'm not bothered about monetising it).

I agree with others ....Exchanging contracts on a Friday is fine but I would try and avoid doing a legal completion on a Friday if you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure