Keep Moving Challenge for 2018

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Did anyone just watch the Michael Mosley program on fitness?

Very interesting and changed my perceptions on a lot of things, one of which was running.

I'm reasonably fit but never done any running partly because I think it puts a lot of strain on knees. Might have to see if I can incorporate a bit into life. Would rack up the steps quicker. ;)

I didn't watch it but heard him on the radio at lunchtime.
    I run about 40-50 miles a week and one of the side effects of running that much is that I now don't have to put knee supports on when I am fell walking.
    The running has strengthened the support of my knee so much that it now isn't painful to walk down mountains whereas before I started running I couldn't descend without pain.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I didn't watch it but heard him on the radio at lunchtime.
    I run about 40-50 miles a week and one of the side effects of running that much is that I now don't have to put knee supports on when I am fell walking.
    The running has strengthened the support of my knee so much that it now isn't painful to walk down mountains whereas before I started running I couldn't descend without pain.

The biggest problem with exercise is heat, I hate feeling hot. I've always been warmer than most other people - friends turn up in a padded coat, scarf, gloves, hat and I'm debating whether to put a cardi on. Exercise just makes me feel like I'm about to explode.:( And there isn't an exercise bra that can cope either:o

163 miles, a little behind, but I knew until mid-Feb I wouldn't be able to get going as much. 1 more week and things calm down at work.:j
  • indesisiv
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    The biggest problem with exercise is heat, I hate feeling hot. I've always been warmer than most other people - friends turn up in a padded coat, scarf, gloves, hat and I'm debating whether to put a cardi on. Exercise just makes me feel like I'm about to explode.:(

I must admit that it hasn't been cold enough this year to get out of the shorts and into leggings. Although I raced on Sunday and was mightily impressed at the people wearing jackets and gloves to race in ... I had a running vest and shorts on :rotfl:
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As of the end of January I am just about where I was last year but have done slightly more miles with the dogs. I wanted to try and do 1,000 this year with them but have just booked 2 weeks dog free holiday at Easter so I would have to go some to catch that up.
    I did manage my first jog since April after a series of injuries - no repercussions so will go out again later in the week.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jane_nair
    Options
    I already do 10000 steps per day.now I am aiming to do 20000 step and 3-mile cycling per day.but I cant ride that much, after riding 2 miles I feel pain in my knee and muscles.I wanna reduce this pain.any advice?
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    jane_nair wrote: »
    I already do 10000 steps per day.now I am aiming to do 20000 step and 3-mile cycling per day.but I cant ride that much, after riding 2 miles I feel pain in my knee and muscles.I wanna reduce this pain.any advice?

Suggest you see a physio, its really all about stretching your muscles the right way both before and after you exercise.

I left it a bit late in life to get started serious walking and my physio suggested I either run instead of walking or give up cycling as my leg muscles were so tight that she doubted that I could keep up with both cycling and walking without doing permenant damage :eek:

I took her to her word and do very little cycling now but I do a lot of walking and enjoy it.
  • alba7
    alba7 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 4 February 2018 at 8:58AM
    Options
    31.3 miles this week and very happy that I've finally made it over 31. Last week was 30.99 miles, which was really irritating! Looking forward to increasing that when half term holiday starts next Friday.

In January I walked 134.5 miles, comfortably over my target of 125.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    43.1 miles for me this week. Hopefully get more in next week :)
    220.2 miles for the year to date (I think strava is not the best at the moment)
  • juju17
    juju17 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    41.66 for me this week...so hopefully back on track
    Keep Moving 2018 challenge.
    January....
    Week 1-4 total 159.44 miles
    Week 5.... 41.66 miles
    Not moving anywhere! House renovations taken over life!!
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    35.31 - gone a wee bit down i blame the weather!! :P hoping to get my bike fixed once paid so that will help with the miles abit
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport