Good laptop for no more than £200

Options

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Mine had the full 12 months you would get with a new laptop. Looking at the ebay argos store, all the refurbs have a 12 month guarantee.

Indeed but you get better spec elsewhere for the same price, and anything major would show pretty much immediately. Though I guess it depends on your ability to deal with it yourself (not that any warranty is going to support user error).
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Ok but its a bit of a gamble only having 3 months warranty.

3.png

For something with a one year warranty; https://mcscom.co.uk/product/dell-latitude-14-e5470-i5-6300u-2-40ghz-8gb-128gb-m-2-ssd-14-fhd-win-10-pro-1yr-rtb-wty-mll011/

If she wants new, perhaps better she stretches her budget.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok but refurbished ? I think she said nothing second hand, just new.

In that case you will have to consider a Chromebook.

There will be lots of responses saying don't buy one but at the price level you are talking about your options for a new Windows laptop are limited.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    In that case you will have to consider a Chromebook.

There will be lots of responses saying don't buy one but at the price level you are talking about your options for a new Windows laptop are limited.
    At a push, I would prefer a CloudBook. Like A chromebook, also has poor spec hardware, just runs windows instead of chrome, but after typing this thought.... "and then are the updates to be added :("
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So all the links in this thread for refurbished are rubbish ?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Indeed but you get better spec elsewhere for the same price, and anything major would show pretty much immediately. Though I guess it depends on your ability to deal with it yourself (not that any warranty is going to support user error).

I wasn't particularly recommending any, just showing that you can get refurbs with a decent guarantee.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2019 at 12:06AM
    Options
    So all the links in this thread for refurbished are rubbish ?
    Not rubbish, just it came across you wanted new, warranty, and cashback. I want a round the word trip withe 15 stop-off places for the same price as a flight to Spain, think we will both be out of luck :D

It is also getting to the time where the sales sharks feed on the uninitiated 'have to buy now' crowd. Even the Disk I was interested in had gone up £52(325 to 387 - increased on 30 Nov) - I probably will purchase next year.

this is still quite good:
    EveryWhere wrote: »
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bought a decent spec Del laptop from CeX for £210. Has 8gb ram 256 gb ssd and is in perfect condition. The battery is still excellent and comes with a TWO YEARS guarantee. If you’ve any old tech you could trade that in and get something similar for even less money. I’ve never had any problems using CEX.
    I still think an iPad would be better for your mum, far less complicated and nicer for streaming, email and web browsing.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought an Atom powered laptop a few years ago for £150, brand new from Dell. It’s rather slow, but it does all the things the OP wants. 15” screen. 4GB RAM. Windows. The only thing I have against it is the poor screen resolution.

It’s slow, but it runs for ages on a single charge of the battery.

Do they not do deals like that any longer?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I bought an Atom powered laptop a few years ago for £150, brand new from Dell. It’s rather slow, but it does all the things the OP wants. 15” screen. 4GB RAM. Windows. The only thing I have against it is the poor screen resolution.

It’s slow, but it runs for ages on a single charge of the battery.

Do they not do deals like that any longer?

Sounds like a bargain :eek::laugh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport