PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

My Flat Won't Sell

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you need the survey on the listing anyway? It's quite unusual to provide this level of detail at the initial stage.
    It's a legal requirement to provide the Home Report to any prospective buyer, so although not everyone makes it instantly available on Rightmove, it's standard to be downloadable for properties listed through the ESPC (which is where a large proportion of Edinburgh's property is sold) - and I wouldn't bother viewing until I've read it.
  • squiggle888
    Options
    Well this is quite depressing. Do you think I need to move to another agent as I've spent a fair bit of money on this already? The valuation from the survey did come in at £270k but I'm not really sure where they get these numbers from.
  • squiggle888
    Options
    On the plus side we now have a floorplan :wink:
  • Rural_Puppy
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having problems selling your flat. Have you thought about who your target market is?
    FTB? (possibly a bit pricey for most), BTL or Air BnB? downsizers?
    The other flats that have sold - what type of buyers were they?
    Find out which agent sold those flats and phone them up and ask.
    Does your flat appeal to that target market? If not, then why not? what can you do to make it more appealing?

This is a modern flat in a decent block, looks in reasonable condition. I seem to remember these were hard to sell a while back, but the market has possibly matured since then.
    You seem to be selling below Home Report value too.
    Have you had many viewings? What was the feedback?
    Really your estate agent should be across all this - even though it is the summertime, flats are still moving. I recently sold a one bedroom flat in Edinburgh, albeit in the city centre, after about a month on the market. It went to a closing date, and for more than the H/R.

If the issue with the lift has now been fixed, ask the agent to call the surveyor and update the H/R with this info.
    Also - Are Mov8 on ESPC? if not, consider using a solicitor agent so you can advertise in there, I think ESPC are still the main place purchasers use to look, as well as Rightmove.
    Best of luck.
  • VincentVincent
    Options
    Well this is quite depressing. Do you think I need to move to another agent as I've spent a fair bit of money on this already? The valuation from the survey did come in at £270k but I'm not really sure where they get these numbers from.

Look on the bright side; all the criticism can be fixed very easily and at least you're proactively fixing it now rather than waiting a year and then wondering why it hasn't sold like plenty of people do.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking at the flat that sold for £272k in December it's not really comparable to yours. It has a bigger footprint overall, bigger kitchen, bigger lounge/dining room, master bedroom bigger with a walkthrough wardrobe area and the terrace runs the entire width of the flat.

Your flat has a slightly smaller footprint than the one sold in Feb for £239k but the interior on that looks so much more homely and welcoming than yours. Even the one that sold for £236k last year has a much nice layout and larger footprint than yours.

You need photos of your second bathroom or en-suite, does the other one have a bath or just a shower? Which one is actually pictured? What is the point in two bathrooms in a two bedroom flat? The floor space would be much better used for another room. Either one family bathroom or a family bathroom and a cloakroom is more than enough for a 2 bed place. That would put me off buying because I'd rather have that space as additional living space or even storage.

Ultimately yours is overpriced for what it is by £15k-£20k
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    https://www.mov8realestate.com/properties/10-25-western-harbour-terrace-newhaven-edinburgh-eh6-6jn

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71932279.html

Is there a lift? Why doesn't it mention one? Sounds pricey but I'm not so familiar with the prices up there any more.
    Only a small thing but why on earth were the cupboard doors in the kitchen open?

Agree about the desk it is overpowering.

You need to say if there is a lift, a lack of lift or lack of saying in the listing will put people off.

There is a lift, mentioned in the description

'Spacious, two bedroom, sixth floor apartment with a private balcony enjoying views of the Edinburgh skyline and the Forth, set in a modern, factored, lift-served apartment block, located in popular Newhaven, to the north of Edinburgh city centre.'

FWIW I really like it.

But then I'm not one of the experts on here.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    There is a lift, mentioned in the description
    The listing has been updated since the thread started - so the agents are at least quick off the mark.
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

The things that can be fixed are things that you & your agent can fix.

So;
    sort out the room layouts.
    Desk has to go, or be shrunk. Only put 2 chairs round the table, & not have one backing onto the window. I would move the sofa to the other wall, so that the stick out bit divides the room up into zones. Put the big 3drawers next to the kitchen.
    Drawers under desk belong in main bedroom. Move bed to same wall as door, with both small sets of drawers as nightstands. Put tall drawers somewhere on wall opposite bed (would they fit next to wardrobe doors?)
    Main bathroom. Get a mirror etc on that shelf/ledge.

Get pics redone.

Pic 19 - so you can see central Edinburgh. Get that pic redone better. Surely you can find someone with a proper camera who could do a good (zoomed in) shot of the view.

Do you have any other furniture or soft furnishings?
  • squiggle888
    Options
    Yes - everything on here was true at the time of printing. I have been bullying the agents.
    Well at least a couple of people seem to like it!

So should I move the computer out of the living room as the first thing? That seems to be a main point. Maybe it will make the second bedroom more lived in! I was going for the minimal look but seem to have overdone it!

Any other ideas for cozying up the place?

So we all think it's overpriced then? That's a shame :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport