GLUCOSAMINE.  Save £60 a Year

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    I thought i read a health warning about green lipped muscles the other day???

Or was it a taste warning?? (i.e. They taste crap compared to smaller muscles).

I don't recall now. If I find the article I will let you know.

The only report I can finds says "The survival of infectious pathogenic viruses in fresh and frozen mussels on storage constitutes a potential health risk and so is a major concern for public health authorities." This was particularly related to the polio virus but the use of live attenuated polio virus is diminishing fortunately. What really gobsmacks me is that it has been known live attenuated polio virus modified in the body and was excreted into the sewers (and thus into the sea) in a changed form years ago yet it was only August 2004 that the UK stopped using live virus for immunisation.

Although the incidence of paralysis from Polio has be eliminated the vacant space in the enteroviral spectrum has been occupied by other modified virus forms and conditions/syndromes with fatigue as the major symptom proliferate. We may think we are clever enough to beat nature but our inherent tendency not to spend enough money at the right time ensures we will never actually win.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Nah - It definitely wasn't that complicated.

I think that it might have been that "Return of the chef" bloke's book. I seem to recall he was saying that large mussels are crap and taste of nothing so people should just buy the small ones because they taste nicer.

Apologies for talking rubbish.
  • Dfc_3
    Dfc_3 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    what if you discovered it was no good- think what you would save-
    try virgin olive oil mixed with grapefruit juice- much cheaper and better for you
  • lizbee
    lizbee Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I wish I had seen all the posts for Glucosamine before, mine is a doggy tale. We have an adorable Labrador who has just reached the age of 10, we had to get the Vet out one morning he could not get up the stairs and he has always been a very active dog, any way the vet charged £67.50 for comming out and gave us 7 days supply of tablets and he did seem better, but about 2 weeks ago I went into our health food shop and spoke to the lady assistant who informed me that Glusosamine tablets she sells them for dogs the same type that you or I might take any way Toby our dog has had a new lease of life he has one tablet daily and the difference in him is amazing, he once again bounces up and down stairs, Glusosmine has become my Savior, so thanks for all who has posted even though they were not doggy tales.
    Lizbee.;)
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Dfc wrote:
    what if you discovered it was no good- think what you would save-
    try virgin olive oil mixed with grapefruit juice- much cheaper and better for you

If you want to find out if a particular supplement has been researched scientifically and found to be effective you can enter the name of the supplement and the condition you want to remedy in the search bar here
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Glucosimine has been mentioned several time in this thread and if you enter "Glucosamine" AND "arthritis" you will find a list of all the research which mentions Glucosaming and Arthritis. By trawling through these you will be able to find an example such as
    [size=+1]Medical management of osteoarthritis of the knee and hip joints.[/size][size=+1]where you will see it says [/size]Glucosamine sulfate is a safe and effective over-the-counter treatment.

Just because there is research showing some supplement is effective generally doesn't mean it will be effective for you but there are a lot of herbs and supplements for which there is no scientific research to support their use or logical reason to assume they might work.

"olive oil " AND "ARTHRITIS" comes up with a good selection including one which says patients showed a more precocious and accentuated improvement when fish oil supplements were used in combination with olive oil.
    which is something I didn't know.
    Searches for grapefruit didn't produce very much but the ones did seem to indicate that it did make other medicines more readily bio available so there may be some merit in taking Grapefruit juice with your chosen supplement.

PS The extract above comes from
    [size=+1]Supplementation of fish oil and olive oil in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

Do take note of the quantities used to be effective 3g of fishoil and 9.6 ml of olive oil. I suspect many people aren't taking enough fishoil. [/size]
  • johnp_3
    Options
    If you are over 60 you can get them free on prescription I
    do
  • anitainjune
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I was taking much too low a dose and have ordered from zipfit after reading all your advice. Not quite 60 yet so can't get it free but hoping it will make me feel 21 again. Regards
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    lellie wrote:
    my mum used to be on these (and got them from healthspan) but think she's on green lipped muscles instead now which are much more effective.
    Did you mean green-lipped mussels ?? :rolleyes:
    I have to go with Art as we find Healthspan products to be of superb value and excellent service, freefone numbers (no 0870) free P & P. They sell 360 x 1000mg for £9.95 and the 750 are 360 for £7.95. I think they warn about other products not being manufactured to pharmaceutical standards because a lot of them are not. Zipvit's may well be, but we did not find them as good to deal with.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Summary so far.
    Healthspan 750mg x 360=£7.95 x2 total £15.90 p&p free
    Simply supplements 1500 x360=£14.99 +£1.99 p&p under £17
    Zipvit 1500x360=£12.95 +£1p&p under £16.95

CureukGlucosamine Hydrochloride
    100% Natural 99+% Pure Pharmaceutical Grade
    600gms = £70.00
    Health4you
    Code HU050 365 tablets 750mg £ 9.99 X2=£19.98

But remember if you can get them free on prescription you may save even more.
    Zipvit gets my vote because I always buy other stuff from them so don't pay postage and I've always received orders promptly but I appreciate others have found the others listed above satisfactory.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Those who wish to use Healthspan, despite their ethically challenged advertising policy which relies on knocking the opposition without providing any scientific, independent evidence to support their smear campaign, may wish to QUOTE CODE CAR-GA to knock £3 off the cost of one order placed online before 31/05/05 but remember the sale prices which are still generally above those of ZIPVIT last only until 30/04/05 and may still not be actually cheaper than ZIPVIT whose products and service I have always found to be excellent.

Edit Found another voucher now so when you've used the first link for one £18 order you may be able to use RT-FM same conditions as above for the next.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family