Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• TDR500AO
    Options
    This may be a stupid question... We flew from Nairobi to London via Amsterdam with KLM. Two flight numbers on the one ticket. The flight from Nairobi was delayed by 2 hours, which was bearable, although leaving at 2am instead of midnight. However, we were then told that our flight to London from Amsterdam was cancelled and we were routed via Dublin, arriving in London at 15:00 instead of 08.50. Do we just treat this as a compensation claim for delay when claiming and ignore the references to cancellation? Also, would the compensation be based on the overall trip distance or just the last leg?

We have a separate claim on the outbound flight for delayed luggage (lost one of our cases for 5 days then they took 5 more to deliver it after a lot of chasing) so overall not very happy with KLM.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi TDR500A0,

Claim EU261 compensation for a late arrival at your final ticketed destination. It will be at the highest rate, so €600 per passenger. You can explain that your delay was due to a cancellation and re routing via Dublin.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • TDR500AO
    Options
    So a week later they have replied and agreed compensation but at the shorter flight rate (€250 each) plus the meal. Next step to reply and query the calculation.

I still need to get the separate baggage delay claim in.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TDR500AO wrote: »
    So a week later they have replied and agreed compensation but at the shorter flight rate (€250 each) plus the meal. Next step to reply and query the calculation.

I still need to get the separate baggage delay claim in.

They are just trying it on. The regs are very clear on this matter, the delay is calculated at your final destination.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • TDR500AO
    Options
    Apologetic email received - it's €600 per person! I'll confirm when the cash is in the bank.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    After some advice please. Booked trip on one pnr man-ams-yyz booked via delta but on klm metal.

Man to Ams ok but within 10 minutes of approach at YYZ we were diverted to Ottowa due to bad weather. Now I understand EU regs doesn't cover bad weather but we were stuck on the tarmac, waiting to refuel then clearence to take off again for YYZ then on almost 4 hours the captain stated due to technical reasons the flight could not take off again and KLM operations weren't able to fix

So now in a hotel courtesy of Kim and hoping we can get a flight sorted for Tuesday.

So where do we stand with a claim against EU regs?

Thanks
  • zorz
    zorz Posts: 52 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have read the MSE guide to claiming compensation (using Resolver) and KLM has grudgingly (it took more than one email) refunded the cost of the cattery and pre-booked seats. Whilst I understand that airlines are not liable if the weather causes the cancellation, is compensation due for the additional annual leave I was forced to take from my job?

Performing some research, I found that I was not placed on the next available flight (which was a few hours after the cancelled one) but shifted to the following day and flew home via Dublin to Bristol!

Has anyone else made a similar claim for compensation for lost annual leave?

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zorz wrote: »
    Performing some research, I found that I was not placed on the next available flight (which was a few hours after the cancelled one) but shifted to the following day and flew home via Dublin to Bristol!

how do you know the next available flight operated with empty seats on board? - it is possible there was no space on that flight.
    travel insurance for lost annual leave?
  • zorz
    zorz Posts: 52 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    how do you know the next available flight operated with empty seats on board? - it is possible there was no space on that flight.
    travel insurance for lost annual leave?
    That is true. I will contact my travel insurance provider.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    After some advice please. Booked trip on one pnr man-ams-yyz booked via delta but on klm metal.

Man to Ams ok but within 10 minutes of approach at YYZ we were diverted to Ottowa due to bad weather. Now I understand EU regs doesn't cover bad weather but we were stuck on the tarmac, waiting to refuel then clearence to take off again for YYZ then on almost 4 hours the captain stated due to technical reasons the flight could not take off again and KLM operations weren't able to fix

So now in a hotel courtesy of Kim and hoping we can get a flight sorted for Tuesday.

So where do we stand with a claim against EU regs?

Thanks
    First of all you need to apply for compensation. KLM will probably state weather as an EC, which may have been the original cause of a slight delay.
    Can you estimate how much the weather diversion would have added to your original flight time?
    The argument would fall along the lines of KLM, by having a techie problem (and I suspect an out of hours for the crew scenario) that they didn't do enough to minimise your delay, even though this was initially due to a weather incident. This is assuming you were given the correct information regarding the weather at YYZ?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family