PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are houses being dressed professionally?

Options

Comments

• bertiewhite
    Options
    One is never enough. Ask anyone who plays guitar how many they have. I've heard any answer from 3 to 20. Never one.

My ex-wife once asked why I had so many guitars as they all looked the same to her and I could only play one at a time.

So I compared them to shoes :)
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Whatever happened to flying ducks?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate the trend as well but for every one of us that does, I bet there's plenty that love it and a sale is a sale at the end of the day.

Who cares?

On the other hand, I viewed a cottage last week that was crammed full of model trains & railways memorabilia but it doesn't mean only spotters will be interested in buying. I was able to look past that as it will all be gone with the vendor.
    Don't ruin our fun with your sensibleness! Get out and take a "If life gives you lemons, make a gin and tonic" sign with you. :p
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had an avocado bathroom suite and a carpeted bathroom in the '80s - the carpet (pub style) went up the side of the bath :rotfl::rotfl:

No bidet though :)

I've just bought a house with what I describe as a four-poster avocado bath.

Imagine a bath in a corner, with the roof over the bath lowered and a column of tiles in the open corner. The end of the bath has an arch of tiles.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Stumbled on this by accident, so funny, mostly consists of things I would not have in this house if you paid me. We have pictures on the walls, things like elephants, and we have one from Cape Kennedy on the stairs, we have pictures on the units in the lounge, mostly of the grandkids but also ones that we have won competitions with, we have my collection of chess sets (including a Star Trek 3D) and gifts from the kids, basically we have things that mean something to us all around (along with several book cases full of books despite my ereader lol). I am dreading the time we decide to move because we will have to get rid of a lot and there is not one thing amoung them that I want to part with.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A work colleague was re-decorating their house and asked me if I had any 'spare' books [as if, they're ALL mine!] because they'd installed a full wall of bookcases [ imagine 5 Billy bookcases in a row ] and didn't have any books to put on them - because they didn't read books, it was just for the look....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    A work colleague was re-decorating their house and asked me if I had any 'spare' books [as if, they're ALL mine!] because they'd installed a full wall of bookcases [ imagine 5 Billy bookcases in a row ] and didn't have any books to put on them - because they didn't read books, it was just for the look....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zckU7RNFH-k/VdXJonzwKKI/AAAAAAAAQs4/fNQpb-4VANU/s1600/headbang-facebook-emoticon.png
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2018 at 8:31AM
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    ... they didn't read books, it was just for the look....

They didn't read the full manual .... without books you just buy this:

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/hazelwood-home-distinctive-bookcase-sidewall-10m-x-52cm-wallpaper-roll-hazl6990.html

Cut into strips and stick it onto empty boxes :)

Or this one if you want to look like somebody with more interests and quirks.
    https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/holden-decor-vintage-books-10m-l-x-53cm-w-roll-wallpaper-dhdl1254.html

Should've not got the bookcases in the first place and bought this: https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/walplus-library-large-photo-books-280cm-1-piece-wall-mural-wlpl1090.html
    or this:
    https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home-decor/pdp/artgeist-home-library-21m-x-300cm-wallpaper-argt1335.html
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Probably would have been cheaper.....And then they could have stuck 'Live Love Illiterate' on top of it...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I seriously cannot understand people that don't have books in the house :eek: How do you live without the complete works of Shakespeare, we have loads of signed first editions, a large dictionary, various encyclopedias, various table books like The Atlas Obscura, and that is just in the lounge where we only have a small book case!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport