Do you refuse to pay on card under a certain amount?

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I tend to keep £10 in my wallet at all times for just in case purposes. If we're in town and want something from a market stall then £10 generally covers it. I'll then go to a cash machine and replace it with another £10 note or get out more if the original £10 doesn't cover it. Obviously not all stalls take card so i carry cash for these reasons.

Linton wrote: »
    This ensures that all expenditure is itemised on the bank statement and can be directly downloaded to MSMoney (or other software) and in most cases automatically categorised for monitoring
    And exactly the reason behind me asking this question really as i intend to give this approach a fair try out.

I will make note of every little spend i make and it wont be difficult for me to do.
    My wife on the other hand will pay cash and forget about it so it will need to become a habit she'll have otherwise i wont be able to track anything worthwhile.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tend to use card for anything over £5. I remember back when I used cash for everything seeing a sign in a shop that stated that only amounts over £5 could be paid for by card. I presumed that this was due to fees involved on their end and that most shops would be the same, its just something that stuck with me, even though I know its not really the case any longer that small purchases are 'frowned upon'.
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pay with cards no matter how small the amount, usually a 0% purchase card.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Usually, CC for every purchase, where available, as with contactless it's just so easy.

Card paid off in full every month.

OH did use up some 5p coins in Screwfix, when he needed something that was 25p!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    It never even occurred to me to refuse to pay by card. What would be the reason for doing so?

I am an Apple Pay fan, and I really value that I don't have to lug cards, and god forbid, cash around.

Many shops already accept Apple Pay without limits, and I try to avoid those who don't, and certainly those who don't take contactless, or who have a minimum amount for cards. I have several cards enabled on my watch, so if one fails for any reason (e.g. card provider blocks for security reasons), I just use another one. I wear my watch every waking hour, not just for time but also for gathering health and exercise data, for listening to music, for receiving and sending messages and for making calls, incl 999 in emergencies. Using it also to make payments is just logical, and has been second nature for a few years now. Oh, and I also have all my loyalty cards (Tesco, Waitrose, JL, Nectar, Boots, M&S and a ton of others) on the watch, too.

You could argue a watch is expensive - it is, on the face of it, but I am getting tremendous value out of it and it's worth every penny to me. You can also get most of the benefits from just a smartphone, which is a somewhat cheaper yet less convenient option.

All cards are, naturally, paid off in full each month
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I very rarely use cash for anything these days except when I have to. The other day bought a newspaper on the debit card.

Not quite got round to Samsung pay yet
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    crumpetman wrote: »
    If the retailer accepts it then I will always pay on card, I think the smallest amount was 19p at WH Smiths. I don't usually have loose change, just the cards and bank notes so I would rather not pay for something with a note and end up with a pocket of change.

Yes agreed.
  • Wellard_Mann
    Options
    I'm another one who pays for everything by card - Google pay on my phone for everyday debit card purchases and a credit card for larger purchases (say around £20+). I do have a tenner in my wallet and it's been there for a few months now. From memory my smallest purchase was 50p or so in Boots. I haven't encountered a retailer who doesn't take cards for at least 2-3 years. The last one was a cafe but they had a sign to that effect displayed on the till so I simply left without ordering anything and walked down the road to another coffee shop.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't encountered a retailer who doesn't take cards for at least 2-3 years. The last one was a cafe but they had a sign to that effect displayed on the till so I simply left without ordering anything and walked down the road to another coffee shop.
    It's the smaller retailers, like corner shops, that I have seen it in recently. Whilst I understand that they have to pay the card providers for the service, I am afraid, I do the same as you did: I go somewhere where they do accept cards w/o a lower limit.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I buy my bacon butty for £1.40 every morning in work with contactless. Saves the staff having to take off their glove to handle cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure