Do you refuse to pay on card under a certain amount?

Options

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    To go off at a slight angle here...

Why do some of you use credit cards for 'everything' (or most things)?

I understand the protection for things costing £100+ but why would you buy (for example) a newspaper on a credit card specifically (as in anything and everything)?

Cashback....
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    To go off at a slight angle here...

Why do some of you use credit cards for 'everything' (or most things)?

I understand the protection for things costing £100+ but why would you buy (for example) a newspaper on a credit card specifically (as in anything and everything)?
    We get cashback on most of our purchases with the credit card. There are some transactions that do not produce cashback but as we use it for most putchases it is easier just to use it for pretty much all purchases. The money is budgeted and used to pay the card off when the direct debit goes out.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My wife refuses to pay on card for anything under £5.00. I personally think this is strange but that's just me. I buy £1 scratch cards & pay via contactless. I've bought a newspaper on a card before. At the end of the day it's just money and with the introduction of contactless it's even easier as you don't need to faff around inputting a PIN for pence.

It's not just you, as I also find it strange. I would say that well over hald of my card purchases are under £5 (I work from home, so go out every lunchtime just to buy milk, etc. to make sure I get some fresh air!).

The only time I ever use cash is normally something to do with the kids and I have probably taken out cash just twice this year so far. Few things annoy me more than what happened to me a few months back, behind someone in the queue at Iceland whose goods came to £10.30 and who then spent a good few minutes digging around for 30p in change when a card transaction would have taken seconds! Cash just wastes time and things like that really pee me off!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most by card for me.

My local shop only takes cash for paypoint, bit of a pain

Luckily I took cash with me last weekend, weather was lovely, went to a popular tourist spot, car park was rammed, the machine was car only! Luckily I had coins on me!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Why do some of you use credit cards for 'everything' (or most
    Cashback, convenience, safety, and easier spend tracking and budgeting.

Also, when abroad, certain cards give you the best exchange rates.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Why on earth would paying by card be embarrassing?

I pretty much never use cash anymore. I even pay my window cleaner and dog walker by bank transfer.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Spidernick wrote: »
    It's not just you, as I also find it strange. I would say that well over hald of my card purchases are under £5 (I work from home, so go out every lunchtime just to buy milk, etc. to make sure I get some fresh air!).

The only time I ever use cash is normally something to do with the kids and I have probably taken out cash just twice this year so far. Few things annoy me more than what happened to me a few months back, behind someone in the queue at Iceland whose goods came to £10.30 and who then spent a good few minutes digging around for 30p in change when a card transaction would have taken seconds! Cash just wastes time and things like that really pee me off!

Mind, I was in Morrisons this afternoon & lady in front of me forgot her PIN (obviously more than £30). Had to phone one of her offspring to dig out her note book which held passwords & that so she could pay for her groceries.
    People like that probably should stick to cash.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I couldn’t believe my eyes when a lady paid her shopping bill of £75 in cash today in Aldi.
    I pay with cash mainly, even a big shopping bill so I would find that perfectly normal. I'm an Avon rep so always have a wodge of notes floating around at home. Can't see the point of banking it when I'd need it out again. Did consider taking cards from customers but there's been no demand and most do cash, cheque or bank transfer.
    I prefer to use notes and get a bit of a kick out of making a large cash payment as many till operators rarely come across cash these days and often struggle to figure out the change.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I prefer to use notes and get a bit of a kick out of making a large cash payment as many till operators rarely come across cash these days and often struggle to figure out the change.
    Out of all the reasons given on here for preferring to use cash, nobody else admits to sheer bloody-minded awkward cussedness, that takes a special kind of attitude....
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use cards for almost everything with notable exemptions being restaurant tips if they prefer cash and my barbers (who don’t take cards).

I mostly use Amex where possible so that I can accrue points as these can be converted to airline points which would allow me to purchase cheaper or upgraded flights. I’ve mostly moved away from cashback since the rates are generally not particularly worth it nowadays.

I do have a co-op debit card which I sometimes use for £1 or less for the 5% cashback.

Amex acceptance remains a bit hit and miss but many places take them nowadays and it’s actually the preferred card at the National Theatre.

I do see the attraction of Apple Pay but I rarely use it. Firstly I find it less easy than a physical card (particularly on London transport) and secondly because I don’t like Apple earning an admittedly small amount every time Apple Pay is used. I’ve already given them hundreds of pounds buying their equipment and I’d rather not add to this if it can be avoided. To be clear, I know that I don’t pay this small fee to Apple.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport