Spain Pay As You Go sim card for internet access

Options

Comments

• ekeir
    ekeir Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add my experience. I had read before going to mainland Spain in June that Carrefour was the best value data sim so I went into Carrefour Tarregona to buy one. In Carrefour their were several counters in their mobile section which unfortunately I didn't realise were for different mobile operators so I ended up with an Orange Delfin sim. This was supposed to be 3.5 euros a week but for some reason they were taking more than that amount in a day. I went into an Orange shop to add 15 euros to the 10 I had already paid and the lady insisted it would be 3.5 euros a week but again I only got about 3 days out of it. I was using less than 10mb a day. Of course if this had happened in Britain I could have sorted it out but as I don't speak Spanish and the Orange assistants don't speak a lot of English it's not so easy.
    In August I am going to Mallorca so has anyone any advise or experience of using different data sims? I'm not sure I will be able to get to Carrefour but have read that Movistar might be a reasonable choice. Has anyone used one of their pre paid sims for data in Spain?
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.tuenti.com/movil/tarifas

€7.08 for 1GB for a month is quite a good deal, and they issue micro-SIMs.
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    http://www.tuenti.com/movil/tarifas

Thanks, this looks about the best deal I have seen:beer:

Is there an English site?

How can I find out if it covers Gran Canaria?
  • TakeThis
    TakeThis Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    Options
    Iconic wrote: »
    Thanks, this looks about the best deal I have seen:beer:

Is there an English site?

How can I find out if it covers Gran Canaria?

It's on the Movistar network(Telef!nica), so I imagine reception should be ok. If you can find a Movistar shop, you might find the SIM.
  • TakeThis
    Options
    ekeir wrote: »
    Just to add my experience. I had read before going to mainland Spain in June that Carrefour was the best value data sim so I went into Carrefour Tarregona to buy one. In Carrefour their were several counters in their mobile section which unfortunately I didn't realise were for different mobile operators so I ended up with an Orange Delfin sim. This was supposed to be 3.5 euros a week but for some reason they were taking more than that amount in a day. I went into an Orange shop to add 15 euros to the 10 I had already paid and the lady insisted it would be 3.5 euros a week but again I only got about 3 days out of it. I was using less than 10mb a day. Of course if this had happened in Britain I could have sorted it out but as I don't speak Spanish and the Orange assistants don't speak a lot of English it's not so easy.
    In August I am going to Mallorca so has anyone any advise or experience of using different data sims? I'm not sure I will be able to get to Carrefour but have read that Movistar might be a reasonable choice. Has anyone used one of their pre paid sims for data in Spain?

I used the Delfin SIM with my Blackberry. It took the 3.5 euros plus IVA as expected.

Though I was a bit annoyed that it cost me 71 cents for an International SMS.

You can register and sign into your account here in order to see for what it was that you were charged.
  • NFH
    Options
    TakeThis wrote: »
    If you can find a Movistar shop, you might find the SIM.
    No chance. That would be similar to finding an Asda Mobile SIM card in a Vodafone UK shop.
  • TakeThis
    Options
    No chance. That would be similar to finding an Asda Mobile SIM card in a Vodafone UK shop.

You should know that I know of what I write.

http://www.tuenti.com/movil/tiendas

Click on the above link and note what is written under each map.

Tuenti(Your Entity) is owned by Telef!nica who own Movistar.

The point of this 'collaboration' is to capture the social networking audience, especially young people.

As to whether you can get the SIM from every Movistar store remains to be seen.
  • NFH
    Options
    TakeThis wrote: »
    You should know that I know of what I write.

http://www.tuenti.com/movil/tiendas

Click on the above link and note what is written under each map.

Tuenti(Your Entity) is owned by Telef!nica who own Movistar.

The point of this 'collaboration' is to capture the social networking audience, especially young people.

As to whether you can get the SIM from every Movistar store remains to be seen.
    OK, good point then. I'll rephrase my response - it's like finding a Giffgaff SIM card in an O2 shop.
  • don_
    don_ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    does this sim card cost 10 € and does internet 1GB form 7.08€ is activated right after buy ?
    I mean, I don't need to to nothing after buy it or I have to activate something first ? thx for info
  • Im_just_careful
    Options
    I had a Carrefour SIM in Majorca bought in their hypermarket near the airport.

Their website works with Google translate. I took a print out of what I wanted (and also the required APN settings) and it was fine.

The only initial trap was that the SIM had a PIN set (it was on the SIM carrier) and that fooled me for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure