Spain Pay As You Go sim card for internet access

Replies

• nickcc wrote: »
    The pre registered data sim I bought from simcardspain is a Spanish Vodaphone sim, would this be suitable for your Vodaphone dongle or would it still need to be unlocked to accept this Sim ?

Have you found one cheaply somewhere? Otherwise why bother? Are you nervous of attempting to unlock one yourself?
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Have you found one cheaply somewhere? Otherwise why bother? Are you nervous of attempting to unlock one yourself?

Bought the data sim for my unlocked Huawei Mifi which I'll be using with my Wifi only ipad. The reason I bought the Spanish sim in the UK is that I didn't want the hassle of looking for and having to register the sim on my arrival plus I want to use my ipad on my arrival at Malaga A/P. I also have the added problem of having a locked smart phone which is under 12 month old so unable to use any other sim except Tesco, unlocking from the usual web sites is not yet available for my model of Huawei phone plus paying Tesco £20 to provide the unlock code is not my idea of saving money.
    Bought the data sim for my unlocked Huawei Mifi which I'll be using with my Wifi only ipad. The reason I bought the Spanish sim in the UK is that I didn't want the hassle of looking for and having to register the sim on my arrival plus I want to use my ipad on my arrival at Malaga A/P. I also have the added problem of having a locked smart phone which is under 12 month old so unable to use any other sim except Tesco, unlocking from the usual web sites is not yet available for my model of Huawei phone plus paying Tesco £20 to provide the unlock code is not my idea of saving money.

I'm confused as to why were you asking about the Vodafone MiFi.
  • edited 2 June 2013 at 9:25PM
    nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 2 June 2013 at 9:25PM
    I'm confused as to why were you asking about the Vodafone MiFi.

I wasn't I was answering previous post that I quoted;) I was also suggesting that the previous poster may be able to use a Spanish Vodaphone sim in his UK Vodaphone locked dongle.
  • edited 2 June 2013 at 10:13PM
    Im_just_carefulIm_just_careful Forumite
    921 Posts
    edited 2 June 2013 at 10:13PM
    Perhaps of use to someone.

I was in Majorca at Easter. Because of flight times and a very poor hire car experience (a sad tale for another time !) I couldn't get in to Carrefour before it shut for the weekend to buy their excellent data SIM.

I bought instead the Lycamobile Spain SIM and having topped it up bought a "data value pack".

This worked fine in my phone but for some reason my MiFi type device wouldn't register on the network at all (it was fine with the Carrefour SIM on my last trip).

So for a smartphone the Lycamobile SIM from the local Internet cafe was fine but the rest of the family couldn't share (the Smartphone doesn't do a hotspot).
    I wasn't I was answering previous post that I quoted;) I was also suggesting that the previous poster may be able to use a Spanish Vodaphone sim in his UK Vodaphone locked dongle.

It is much more expensive to buy the Vodafone SIM than it is to unlock the MiFi.
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    It is much more expensive to buy the Vodafone SIM than it is to unlock the MiFi.

But you still have to buy the sim when you get there plus the cost of unlocking the dongle (my Mifi is already unlocked). I paid £25 for 1gb of data which is more than double the cost that buying in Spain would have cost but, as I said in previous posts, I needed to use on my arrival and not have to try and find a Carrefour or similar store which would certainly have taken time and the cost of fuel to find. To be honest I try and make my holidays as stress free as possible (but usually fail) and trying to find a suitable sim on arrival would certainly have increased both my Wife's and my own stress levels.
  • dazzaofdagenhamdazzaofdagenham Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your logic is flawed. What happens when you go over 25MB? Easily done.
    At 69p per MB that would be £17.25 for another 25MB and that is just one day.

A local Carrefour mobile broadband SIM costs 10€ and come with four days of unlimited access.

Unlocking, perhaps a pound. Even if you pay a fiver to unlock it's still worth it.

Put your thinking cap back on.

Have you tried another SIM and APN to check if it's locked?

Thanks for response.

Sorry I was just sounding off at the complete rubbish service that Vodafone offer for the service that I require.

The device is locked to Vodafone as I have tried another SIM in it and it comes up with a error. May venture out to local market to seek a unlocking merchant....anyone used a one online that is good ?
  • edited 3 June 2013 at 9:11AM
    dazzaofdagenhamdazzaofdagenham Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 June 2013 at 9:11AM
    nickcc wrote: »
    The pre registered data sim I bought from simcardspain is a Spanish Vodaphone sim, would this be suitable for your Vodaphone dongle or would it still need to be unlocked to accept this Sim ?

I'm pretty sure my Vodafone SIM wont work unless my device is unlocked (. Which I'm trying to do ).

Are you selling your SIM , I would be interested in it if you also have the settings.

Cheers
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    I'm pretty sure your Vodafone SIM wont work unless my device is unlocked (. Which I'm trying to do ).

Are you selling your SIM , I would be interested in it if you also have the settings.

Cheers

Sorry not selling as not going to Spain until month end. Tried to unlock my Huawei phone and even paid twice up front as dealer assured that they could unlock anything, still waiting for Paypal refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum