MOTs Cost Cutting MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I can't search this individual thread for stations near me.
    There are lots in this thread contributed by users that aren't on Martins list.

I think what we need to do is go through the thread and make a list of user contributed stations:

1) Name of town / location
    2) region
    3) user who told us about it
    4) phone number
    5) verified as ok/safe by another user

- and post the results into the original post
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • LPChamberlain
    Options
    I have telephoned East Sussex, Mid Sussex, and West Sussex County Councils and all three were unable to give me details of local government MOT Test Centres (interestingly West Sussex do have one but apparently only staff can use it!)
  • tajgill
    Options
    I've used Longshot Lane MOT in Bracknell many times and my car has always passed and only ever fails on minor things like bulbs or wipers.

They are on the Bracknell Forest Council's Approved Trader List:

Longshot Lane MOT
    Unit 7, Longshot Lane
    Bracknell
    Berkshire
    RG12 1RL

Tel: 01344 869986

I would recommend them to anyone, they do servicing and repairs as well but they don't fail you just to make some extra money.
  • tajgill
    Options
    A great website for finding a Trading Standards approved business is:

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/

All the companies registered are approved by Trading Standards. It only covers the South of England at present so is limited but new areas are being added all of the time.

It's not just MOT centres but any business that you may be looking for and don't want to get ripped off !
  • merlinormartin
    Options
    Environmental and Operational Services
    Stretton Way Depot,
    Huyton Industrial Estate,
    Knowsley
    L36 6JF
    0151 443 2816
    http://www.knowsley.gov.uk/transport/motor_vehicles/mot.html
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • foolsgold99
    Options
    I was thinking about using tesco vouchers for an MOT at Nationwide in Glasgow. I see that if you book it online you get another discount if you have a clubcard or AA member. Does anyone know if you can still get the discount and use the clubcard vouchers?
  • us2notts
    us2notts Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I have been in touch with bassetlaw council about whether there is a council run MOT station,
    the address is as follows

Carlton Forest depot,
    Worksop,
    Notts.
    Tel 01909 534333
  • mrtoad_2
    Options
    There's no council MOT centre in the Ivybridge/South Hams area but I recommend you try Ivybridge MOT Centre. They only carry out MOT testing and don't do repairs although they do minor light faults and beamsetting for free. A retest within 10 working days is also free. Prices have just gone up with the recommended price £50.35 for a car and £53 odd for a van between 3 and 3.5tons but they do cars for £45 and they have no axe to grind. They are Martins MOT finder website phone number 01752698835.
  • havoc1
    Options
    Paisley has one on Underwood Road, call 0141 842 5811 to book.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I had an idea t'other day. similar to petrolprices.com someone could come up with

MOTprices.com

The data would be entered and kept upto date by the users & the MOT station proprietor. The proprietor would not be allowed remove their garage from the list, and there would be no field data option of "witheld" or similar, the data input person would have to choose a monetary amount.

There would be a search radius of x miles dependant on postcode.

There would be the obvious fee results as follows.... these would be the column titles on a spreadsheet.

Inititial fee, £xx
    Reduced price retest fee, £xx or No
    No. of days for reduced fee retest period, xx or N/A
    Additional comments,
    e.g. Reduced test fee is refundable if testing station does required work.

The site could reap revenue from advertisers, could offer Test stations a fee "subscrition" which allowed them to input their own prices and turn off the customer update facility.

And there would be clear information informing the customer/users that they have rights under the VOSA scheme including certain circumstances leading to a free retest.

So all you entrepreneur HTML programmers out there... get working on my idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure