Stafford County Council's MOT centre is at:
    Beacon Business Park,
    Weston Road,
    Stafford

Tel:01785 854832/854833
  • tahrey
    tahrey Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Was originally logging on after a long absence to ask about any info for the birmingham area (and one thing in specific), but given that both this 16 page thread and the local council's own extensive website have next to nothing on the subject of authority-run MOT centres listed, i may be the one gathering the evidence and reporting back here... ulp... hopefully positive.

My MOT ended up expiring a few days earlier than I expected it to (mon 26th, seems it wasn't extended the final week into december) and so i've been on a speedy hunt for a test centre and a garage to pencil an appointment in to, whilst finding a new job, going to college, etc... haven't got far then other than booking a slot the usual midrange local garage, and then calling up the number listed for "Birmingham" (montague street) and enquiring. They're doing the test for me at 9am "tomorrow" (or in real terms: 7 and three quarter hours)... but i'm not 100% convinced they're a council run centre that doesn't do repairs, any more. some comments made whilst on the phone to them seemed to drop hint they were either indies now, or also doing repairs. Hm. Also the listed postcode seems to send online mapping things 'the wrong side of the tracks' as compared with the A-Z. Might need a phone number and address update, if i turn up there at 8.50 and they have no record of me going there................. or worst still if they try to take me for a ride for what will hopefully only be headlight alignment, a couple of shock absorbers and a driver's side track rod + tracking.

Will be checking this before heading out in the morning, so any night owls got any comments to add about the montague street (bordesley green) test centre in birmingham, as seen on the main article's list?
  • tahrey
    tahrey Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    OK update on the above... it's all good! :beer:

It is still as ever was (and has been for a long time going by the signs) Birmingham's bus, taxi, dustbin truck etc garaging testing and servicing centre. Strange that it's listed as Bordesley when my A-Z reckons that part of town starts at the other side of the dual carriageway ring road, but I digress.

Ended up arriving a little late because of roadworks and a huge horde of kids buying beer :beer: from the petrol station I stopped at on the way (at 8.50am! Wish teacher training days were as good when I were younger!) but they didn't seem to mind as it's largely a casual / while-you-wait affair anyhow. Seems that Joe Randoms like myself turning up for tests rather than the aforementioned buses and taxis isn't an unknown or entirely unwelcome event, but isn't that common as mine was referred to throughout as "The Private Car" rather than any other identifier :D

Bit of a basic and industrial facility, not marked from the outside other than a council environmental services sign; what looks to be the reception on Montague St is actually private offices and has a sign on the door to this effect, instead you have to announce yourself to the security guard who will let you through the barrier and give directions to the centre, which is a huge structure a couple hundred yards trundle away through a maze of parked trucks. The actual reception is small and pretty basic, not exactly kwikfit but not busy/cramped and sufficiently appointed - an enquiries desk, the usual wall of certificates and information, a water cooler, a few foam-and-cheesecloth seats and best of all, well heated (temperature indicated at 2.0 celcius when I pulled up).

Took keys and old certificate promptly and without hassle and said I may be waiting an hour, no longer. Settled down with newspaper and a cup of water, interrupted once for them to take payment (£50.00, cash/cheque only), and by 9.45 they'd finished. Easy pass on all the important points, and the guys were friendly enough and happy to go through the advisory notice and explain what the marked points of concern were clearly and at length... things I'm not even sure some other centres may have picked up on, e.g. handbrake mounts starting to wear and needing a weld. Packed up and on my way without fuss.

Well recommended and gives you glimpse behind the scenes into some of the nittier grit of how city services are run (bus coming back yet again because of a persistent intermittent smoking problem, etc... yes, they do actually care to get such things fixed!) :cool:
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    They had a special offer on at my nearest Council MOT Station when I was last there a couple of months ago.

The testers there (friendly, polite but also fully experienced and professional) said the Council had recently lowered the test fee for an unspecified period (I think maybe they said "council subsidised reduction"), which was welcome news as just £32.

Unfortunately my car failed (the testers had no choice cause it was a clear fail), but an easy fix, and passed on my return with a free partial retest a few days later.
  • greenmummy35
    Options
    Just taken my car for MOT at Cardiff County Council, Central Workshops on Clare Road (phone 0292030343581). Prompt and efficient service for £40 cash/cheques only NO CARDS. I would have failed cos one of my brake lights was out, but the guys replaced the bulb for free and passed me!!! Cheers!
    Will be taking my hubbys car on Friday.
  • shcotti
    Options
    was suspicious of the garage i have used for past couple of years, that they find 'extra' work to be done to pass MOT. So took MSE advice and went to Bedford's Council MOT Centre today. Sailed straight through (£50, cheque or card only).
    Terrific service. They even replaced 2 rear bulbs FOC!
    Will do the same thing for my girl-friend's car next week!
    Shcotti:j
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Just booked in at the Bury one, will report back on what it's like, cost is £46, the Oldham one do it for £32 but are very busy and couldn't book me in until after the due date.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • doodah
    doodah Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    does anyone know of one of these in the hatfield area?
    31/12/2006 £8395, 01/10/2008 £5089.73, 19/10/2010 £835.00 31/03/2011 £0.00
    Pigsback = £9.35 (£30 claimed), Quidco = £128.24 claimed
    Official DFW Nerd No. 264

Debt-free and Proud!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business