Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So it appears, thanks, thought I’d seen it but probably too many screens open at the time and transposed them.

If it’s not on the CAA list perhaps there is more chance of getting compensation. A quick check on the Bott delay calculator should confirm or otherwise.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Euclaim say no compensation bottonline shows possible compensation. Do they ever agree?
  • neogeo
    neogeo Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I wonder if someone can help?

My in-laws were booked on a BA return flight from LHR T5 to SJC (San Jose), yesterday, but received a message as we arrived at the airport stating the flight had been cancelled.

They were booked on an alternative flight with AA the next day (today, about 22 hours later), which also has a layover - they arrived home over a day late (in fact , they have not arrived home yet, they have a 4 hour layover in Phoenix to contend with first!)

The BA desk did give me a letter which I think stated a technical fault with the plane which was why it was cancelled - unfortunately they wrote some details on the back and I sent it off with my in-laws, so I hope they have kept it!

Can we claim compensation for this cancellation?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Almost certainly.
    Download Vauban's most excellent guide to se how to progress.

Were there alternative flights yesterday, with lternative airlines if necessary?

Did BA not offer to re-route on an alternative flights, if available. I suspect not, but they should have done.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • neogeo
    Options
    Thanks JPears!

My in-laws are quite old and I did ask if there were any alternatives for the same day and they said unfortunately not.
  • JPears
    Options
    I looked. There appear to be few options (with a connection) that BA could/should (but won't) offer you, with different airlines.
    You then have the option of booking/paying yourself and claim the difference. For future reference.
    Hopefully your in-laws are home by now?

• neogeo
    Options
    Ah ok, that's a shame I didn't know at the time, but maybe a compensation claim will make up for it!

In-laws home safe and sound thanks.
  • neogeo
    Options
    Also, I personally booked and paid for the flights on my in-laws behalf, am I able to begin the claim myself, or will they need to get involved along the way?
  • JPears
    Options
    They need to make the claim themselves, in their own namoes, but you could do it for them, usually on line.
    The only problem may arise if it goes to court, as you can't atned on their behalf.

• neogeo
    Options
    OK, so I can try and go as far as I can myself, and if it gets to the stage that I can't continue, I can bin it and go through a NWNF company?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback