Would a female feel vulnerable if alone ans stranded?

Options

Comments

• heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The OP here is not the same as the OP there.

But this OP did kick off on someone there.

I'd be more bored than scared if I'm honest. I don't do waiting very well!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'd be terrified. I'd be worried about being assaulted. I'm not very big and in an isolated area, I'd have no chance.

I know it's not politically correct but I would really hope the breakdown company would take that into consideration at least.

They should take into account alone and isolated. They should not take into consideration gender.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    The OP here is not the same as the OP there.

True, the OP here was the only one to agree with the original OP's sexist views on the original thread :rotfl:
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't feel vulnerable in the circumstances described. But then I'm trained in self defence and know full well theres a tyre iron in the boot. More fool them if they think I'm an easy target just because I'm female!

I'm physically strong for a female, though still less so than most guys. However I also know that a little force applied in the right way/place is often more effective than just brute force, so I've never felt at a disadvantage by not being as strong physically.

Although there have been studies done and apparently how you carry yourself can affect whether you're likely to be targeted in a random attack or not. If you walk with your head down, shoulders hunched and hurriedly (basically trying to draw as little attention to yourself), you're more likely to be "picked". Where someone who walks with their head up, making eye contact, shoulders set (exuding confidence pretty much), you're less likely. I don't think its been widely enough studied to say anything conclusively, but the results were certainly interesting and perhaps supports freuds iceberg analogy on the unconscious in psychology which he said was responsible for behaviour & decisions.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    So you're a female driver and your car breaks down. You're left alone and stranded by the roadside waiting for the AA man who takes hours and hours to turn up. Do you think you should feel more vulnerable than a man?

I deliberately haven't posted this in the motoring forum because it's male dominated sometimes by petrol-heads.

I don't think that question can be answered with a yes or no. It depends on the woman - and the man. And where the car breaks down.

I personally would feel vulnerable. And more so if it was in the middle of nowhere. I'm female.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'd be terrified. I'd be worried about being assaulted. I'm not very big and in an isolated area, I'd have no chance.

I know it's not politically correct but I would really hope the breakdown company would take that into consideration at least.

I agree.

I would feel vunerable in those circumstances I know my husband would not.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think I'd be standing by the side of the road thinking, "Oh no, my lack of a penis makes me so vulnerable right now." I might be thinking, "Standing by the road in the dark on my own for hours makes me vulnerable," but that is nothing to do with what's in my pants.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I broke down a couple of years ago, the breakdown service asked questions about who was in the car, where it was stopped (main road, side road, whether there were houses around etc) and if everyone was ok, so I think they do go through some sort of "triage" system when called out.

I was prioritised as I was a woman with young children, although I'd been able to pull into a pub car park so would've been perfectly OK if a man broken down on a dual carriageway had been rescued first.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakdown services should prioritise lone women/women with children. You may not know/remember the name Marie Wilks, here's her story. There was a lot of publicity after this event and the breakdown services said they would change the way they assess priority of calls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/articles/2008/05/16/m50_colour_piece_feature.shtml
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Breakdown services should prioritise lone women/women with children. You may not know/remember the name Marie Wilks, here's her story. There was a lot of publicity after this event and the breakdown services said they would change the way they assess priority of calls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/articles/2008/05/16/m50_colour_piece_feature.shtml

Unless they pay more, women should be treated exactly the same as men
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport