MSE News: Green Deal fund to reopen with an extra £100m

Options

Comments

• captainhindsight_2
    Options
    My understanding is no legislated changes are going to be made to GDAR and GDIP's so as to make them the default roadmap for recommending ECO [carbon savings scheme elements]. So while their use will continue to offer tailor made advice specific to the household as it helps to develop a a market for efficiency measures householders are able to pay for. The use of GDAR recommended affordable warmth measures would only add significant time & cost to the process with no gain for the customer and as such would reduce affordable warmth activity in the market, particularly with the low income & vulnerable households.

You are right, but the foundation to a GDAR is the EPCs. The methodology And software used to create EPCs is being updated from Early November to make them more accurate this will allow the EPC and/or GDAR to make more recommendations than they can today.

One of the most popular things, I am guessing will be if you have old double glazing it will show a recommendation for new double or triple glazing which it will not do if you have an assessment today.

These changes will have an effect on all parts of the green deal

If you google rdsap 9.92 there is loads of information about the changes being made.

So if any one is booking an GDAR Or epc in preparation for this Cashback, it may be useful to have it done after the rdsap 9.92 update.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • kam1ala
    Options
    I tried to apply for a new boiler last year as i am on Working tax credits and my boiler is over 12 years old. Eco residential sent a representative who took ages to actually fine the serial number on my boiler, but said i definately qualified for a free boiler. He took picturs of the boiler and all the relevant paper work (to prove my circumstances) and off he went. After waiting a few weeks i rang up the company who said everything was fine and it was all being processed. This went on for a while so from my initial visit on the 12th July 2013 i still hadn't heard or had a new boiler fitted ny November. I then rang again and was informed that they had lost all my paperwork and would send someone else out. He took all the same photos, proved i qualified and off he went. When i rang the company they told me they had run out of money for terrece houses!!!. Exenergy got hold of me in January and offered me a free boiler andf they did the same checks and photos. Then suddenly it won't be free but charges for checking it is all safe, moving pipes, gas bonding etc etc. so i just wondered is the new scheme full proof and is it actually free if you are on benefits and if the boiler is over 12 years old and faulty??. Also are there any companies actually changing the boilers for free rather than the companies who keep ringing me offering me a new boiler up to the value of £1800
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    What I think we should get:

- Grants for EWI for all properties
    - Grants for CWI for all properties if you cannot afford EWI
    - Grants for loft insulation to any depth
    - Grants for triple glazing for all properties
    - Grants for external doors, whether you need one or more than one
    - Grants for heat recovery ventilation solutions

What we will actually get:

- CWI, if you can hop on one leg while reciting Ulysses
    - Five new external doors, if your name is Greg and you once lived in Dumbarton
    - Double glazing, if you currently only cling film over your window openings and the night of application is a full moon
  • AliceT_2
    Options
    We just bought our first home in July and were searching round (unsucessfully) for any help we could get as needed a new combination boiler, trvs, new double glazed back door and window as well as new double glazed patio doors (we have double glazing everywhere else) Our house is timber frame so no cavity wall insulation but I think we need loft.

We have just paid for a new boiler to be installed last weekend! Sods law! I take it we won't be able to apply retrospectively?

I was about to book in for the doors and window to be done- the window company now can't do until January. .. question is, do I wait to see what I can get or is it not worth it as we've already shelled out for the boiler and are only getting a couple of other bits done? (Which being in London is still very expensive)

I know ultimately we won't know until Nov what's on offer, but what's your opinion on what I should do? We're unexpectedly having to pay for a new kitchen as well so money is tight and any help we could get would be great!
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    kam1ala wrote: »
    I tried to apply for a new boiler last year as i am on Working tax credits and my boiler is over 12 years old. Eco residential sent a representative who took ages to actually fine the serial number on my boiler, but said i definately qualified for a free boiler. He took picturs of the boiler and all the relevant paper work (to prove my circumstances) and off he went. After waiting a few weeks i rang up the company who said everything was fine and it was all being processed. This went on for a while so from my initial visit on the 12th July 2013 i still hadn't heard or had a new boiler fitted ny November. I then rang again and was informed that they had lost all my paperwork and would send someone else out. He took all the same photos, proved i qualified and off he went. When i rang the company they told me they had run out of money for terrece houses!!!. Exenergy got hold of me in January and offered me a free boiler andf they did the same checks and photos. Then suddenly it won't be free but charges for checking it is all safe, moving pipes, gas bonding etc etc. so i just wondered is the new scheme full proof and is it actually free if you are on benefits and if the boiler is over 12 years old and faulty??. Also are there any companies actually changing the boilers for free rather than the companies who keep ringing me offering me a new boiler up to the value of £1800

This is a question for the free boilers thread, but in short there is no free boileer scheme and never has been. The hhcro Eco scheme, paid an amount for each unit of energy saved. In some circumstances this covered the full cost of the boiler, so 'free' but not in all circumstances. This price paid per unit fluctuates, at the moment it is very low, if you try again April next year this price per unit should be high and may cover the full cost or may require a small contribution
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    AliceT wrote: »
    We just bought our first home in July and were searching round (unsucessfully) for any help we could get as needed a new combination boiler, trvs, new double glazed back door and window as well as new double glazed patio doors (we have double glazing everywhere else) Our house is timber frame so no cavity wall insulation but I think we need loft.

We have just paid for a new boiler to be installed last weekend! Sods law! I take it we won't be able to apply retrospectively?

I was about to book in for the doors and window to be done- the window company now can't do until January. .. question is, do I wait to see what I can get or is it not worth it as we've already shelled out for the boiler and are only getting a couple of other bits done? (Which being in London is still very expensive)

I know ultimately we won't know until Nov what's on offer, but what's your opinion on what I should do? We're unexpectedly having to pay for a new kitchen as well so money is tight and any help we could get would be great!

It's worth waiting to see what is available, no one knows what money will be available or what for so it would be a shame to spend money that you don't have to just for waiting a few weeks.
  • ado
    ado Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I missed out during the last grant scheme and found that the info/service from installers was generally poor. I tried to get quotes from two big companies with one completely cocking up the booking process for a quote and the other not following their quote up. I then got a quote from another smaller local company which was considerable lower than that of the larger firm, however he was not green deal accredited and therefore could not deal with the grant. At that point the deal got withdrawn, but if its going to be reintroduced then I'll look into it again.
  • Coughlinfamily
    Options
    I called British Gas this morning and paid for a green deal assessor to come next week after reading the info about the deal on the website... They are booked to come next week. My question is, is it worth waiting until after 2nd November to get the assessment as our biggest heat loss is the old double glazed windows? I read somewhere that there are new guidelines being put in place for assessors regarding their recommendations after this date?
  • Beatsme
    Beatsme Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 October 2014 at 10:38AM
    Options
    Green Deal External Wall Insulation........great if you are a wealthy landlord with lots of small mid terraced houses with tenants on low incomes (free boilers, free loft insulation, free assessments and the bulk of your External Wall Insulation paid by the state).

However if your on a modest or low income forget it.

Quoted £31,000 by the Mark Group to fit External Wall Insulation to 140 m2 of my end terraced house, that was to insulate the end wall only. Would have left me with a £25,000 bill after grant.

Local builder said he could build a solid brick wall with 100mm insulation cheaper which would last several hundred years longer than the 25 yr guarantee for the polystyrene cladding most of these companies are offering.

Doing the insulation internally DIY, no grant, no subsidised loans and no assistance from the state.

Green deal shambles........
  • The_Hornet
    Options
    Oh joy! Even more opportunities for spam phone calls to go along with the solar panels, PPI reclaiming, Accident compensation etc. etc.

Or am I just being an old cynic? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport