MSE News: Green Deal fund to reopen with an extra £100m

Options

Comments

• captainhindsight_2
    Options
    I called British Gas this morning and paid for a green deal assessor to come next week after reading the info about the deal on the website... They are booked to come next week. My question is, is it worth waiting until after 2nd November to get the assessment as our biggest heat loss is the old double glazed windows? I read somewhere that there are new guidelines being put in place for assessors regarding their recommendations after this date?

Yea postpone the assessment until after the second!!!

If you have your assessment before then you will not get a recommendation for new double glazing!
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Beatsme wrote: »
    Green Deal External Wall Insulation........great if you are a wealthy landlord with lots of small mid terraced houses with tenants on low incomes (free boilers, free loft insulation, free assessments and the bulk of your External Wall Insulation paid by the state).

However if your on a modest or low income forget it.

Quoted £31,000 by the Mark Group to fit External Wall Insulation to 140 m2 of my end terraced house, that was to insulate the end wall only. Would have left me with a £25,000 bill after grant.

Local builder said he could build a solid brick wall with 100mm insulation cheaper which would last several hundred years longer than the 25 yr guarantee for the polystyrene cladding most of these companies are offering.

Doing the insulation internally DIY, no grant, no subsidised loans and no assistance from the state.

Green deal shambles........

That's a very high quote it should have been about half that at most. Ewi is expensive you should have had other quotes really rather than just relying on the British gas equivalent in the insulation industry...

I think doing it without the free money available is a bit silly, you can get it for internal insulation as well the net cost will be less.
  • NikkiSaint
    Options
    My home needs double glazing and a new boiler and radiators. I am on benefits and not sure how this green deal works. I'm concerned that I will be paying a green deal loan back with high interest for at least 10yrs.

I would also like a grant to help reduce the amount I have to pay back?
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Yea postpone the assessment until after the second!!!

If you have your assessment before then you will not get a recommendation for new double glazing!

On Friday DCLG have changed the release date for the updated software from the beginning of November to the 7th December.

So this is going to ruin a lot of people's plans with the new cash back hoping to act quickly and take advantage of this in regards to updating old double glazing.
  • pathsofdarkness
    pathsofdarkness Posts: 63 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2014 at 10:37AM
    Options
    On Friday DCLG have changed the release date for the updated software from the beginning of November to the 7th December.

So this is going to ruin a lot of people's plans with the new cash back hoping to act quickly and take advantage of this in regards to updating old double glazing.

I already had a green deal assessment back in July and had SWI done on the back of it.

I would love to update my old double glazing which was installed by a cowboy 20 years ago and who promptly disappeared when we noticed issues with it (lets lots of draughts in via gaps between the doors and frame, ...). Draft proofing never seems to work properly on it.

As my house is technically "double glazed" (despite not being fit for purpose) I wasn't eligible to replace it. If they do end up offering an option to update it I'm guessing I'll have to folk out for another £132 for a new green deal assessment (not sure if I'll be able to reclaim another £100 for the report itself as it would be my second report). :(
  • odox
    Options
    As the Green Deal fund is going reopen, would I be able to get an assessment now in order to use it when it comes around again?
  • Briezzee
    Briezzee Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    It would probably be worth booking the appointment now, but making it clear you only want the assessment done after the new software is released (7th December?). It would also be worth you shopping around now for Green Deal installers for the work you're hoping to have done. Otherwise you may find the scheme closing before you get your quotes in as happened before. Good luck with it all. Having been there, I'm not sure I'd put myself through it again!
  • Dubito_ergo_sum
    Options
    Hi

As a new homeowner Ive been keeping an eye on any news re the home improvement fund reopening. Someone mentioned a few posts ago that the new EPC guidelines will be released on 7th dec. Are these two linked ie the home improvement plan will now reopen after or on 7 dec ?

Never trust any stats you didn't fudge yourself ;o)

Personality profile: I.N.T.J.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Hi

As a new homeowner Ive been keeping an eye on any news re the home improvement fund reopening. Someone mentioned a few posts ago that the new EPC guidelines will be released on 7th dec. Are these two linked ie the home improvement plan will now reopen after or on 7 dec ?

The new methodology and thus software for EPCs comes out on 7th December.

At this stage we don't know anything about What's happening with the home improvement fund but it would make sense not to open up applications until this update has come out.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    odox wrote: »
    As the Green Deal fund is going reopen, would I be able to get an assessment now in order to use it when it comes around again?

Yes you could, but I would suggest waiting until we know what you can claim Cashback for before having an assessment.

As if it is anything like last time, where you had to have two of twelve measures and If you only really want one. You need to pick the cheapest one to get a net benefit and you have to have both recommended on your report.

During the assessment, you can pick and choose some recommendations to be included on the GDAR or not to be included. So if you don't know you want something you don't know to include it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport