Munchin's moseying out of debt diary....again

Options
Munchin
Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
edited 6 August 2019 at 9:57AM in Debt free diaries
Afternoon :wave:

I've decided to start a new diary because I just wanted a clean slate and I aim to be debt free by December 2020 if not before.

A little bit about myself - I'm single after the end of a very long term relationship but I'm a happier person now. I kept custody of the furbaby (dog) and now live at home with my Mum (at my age :o).

I am such a fritterer...oh shiny bauble ...must buy. I know that each time I get debt free my habits don’t change. I hope they will but I’m quite impulsive and I know I have a good enough salary to cover the frittering but I don’t want to owe anyone any money from now on ‘neither a borrower nor lender be’.

I would so like this to be my final diary of climbing out of the debt pit and to change the bad habits that keep dragging me back into debt.

[STRIKE]I have the following goals for 19/20 -
[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]Debt free by end of 2020[[/STRIKE]/FONT].
  • [STRIKE]An Emergency fund for a rainy day - target £6,000.
    [/STRIKE]
  • A dream trip - Sri Lanka as I have friends there.
  • [STRIKE]Start savings towards a 'new to me' car.
    [/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]Start savings towards rewiring house.
    [/STRIKE]

Reviewed in July 2020

So the new plan is -
- clear my debt by July 2020
- start building my nest egg with £650 per month from Aug 2020

As I said in previous diaries, in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinching….probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my debt cleared.

Debts @ 20th May 2019

Bathroom loan - total £4,255. I pay £240 to this per month and have 17 months to go, so it should be gone by Dec 2020 (if not before.) At least I have something to show for it.

Credit card - £1472.50. The CC is 0% and I have no real excuse for it creeping up again. We are having a family holiday in August and I paid a bit extra on the card towards flights and hotel for my Mum & sister's kids. I'm going to pay £150 pm which gives me 10 months to clear (March 2020) but fairly confident it will be cleared sooner.

Very - £324 - new bed - (pay nothing for 6 months.)

Total - £6,051.50.

Can't wait until I'm debt free again.

Comments

• Munchin
    edited 25 May 2019 at 3:36PM
    Options
    May budget ….very squeaky

Groceries - £30/£1.09
    Dining out/fun - £40/£
    Everything else - £26/£
    Diesel - £40/£

Weekly spends - w/c 19th May

Mon - £1.09 milk
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - NSD
    Thurs - £4 Tesco groceries & £35 diesel
    Fri - NSD
    Sat - £23 Asda groceries

Total - £63.09
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck :D I'd been toying with a spending log and this has tipped me over into being convinced xx
  • Munchin
    Options
    Thanks SSDD - just found your diary :)

So I thought an NSD was in the bag today but got text message to pick up milk on way home. It might be Wed before I can catch an NSD.

Knee really playing up today and I have signed up to a 5k race on Friday, hopefully everything will settle down before then.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy new diary :D
  • Choccygirl123
    Choccygirl123 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary! I love 'em especially when DFD only a few months away! Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it x
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Munchin
    Options
    Thanks Choccygirl - I have a fair few months to wait but I will get there :).

I was looking at how I made money before and I'm going back to the surveys...sometimes they really annoy me as I get sifted out quite a few times and now it is coming into summer the Prolific surveys will dry up for a bit.

Surveys or extra money measures

Swagbuck - 361SB
    Prolific - £5.29
    Topcashback - £11.12
    Pick my postcode (free).

I'm sure there are a lot more sites that I can visit but will check round the boards for ideas later.

• Munchin
    Options
    Morning,

Yesterday finished with me taking nephew to his gaelic training and just enjoying the bit of sunshine between the clouds. It didn't cost any money and it gave Mum a break as she normally drives him to practice.

I managed to also work closer to home and popped in to see my old colleagues. I had hoped to finish at 3 yesterday but the training course ran on to 4.30...it was so boring and the speaker was incredibly monotonous - how do people like that get training roles????

Money front - I managed 2 Prolific surveys and have earned £1.63 (if it pays out). Swagbucks hasn't changed and continues to throw me out of surveys on a regular basis. On the positive side I think I'm on for an NSD today. Tomorrow I have a meeting in the city centre and will have to pay for carparking which I can claim back. Hopefully 3 NSDs in a row.

Volunteering tonight and expect it to be a very late night. Slowly creeping towards the bank holiday weekend :D
  • Munchin
    Options
    This post is just me tinkering with possible debt clearance dates -

Debts @ 22nd May 2019

Bathroom loan - £4,255 - DFD - Dec 2020
    Credit card - £1472.50 - DFD - March 2020
    Very - £324 - DFD - Oct 2019

Total - £6,051.50.
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi all,

Mini update as I haven’t really done much today, I ventured out once and that was enough :). I went to volunteer thing and then spent £23 on groceries.

Money front - I managed 3 NSDs this week but it it hasn’t been easy. I did complete 3 Prolific surveys but still hate Swagbucks.

Pup got his stitches out yesterday and is a totally different dog ...no longer restricted by the cone of shame so we are heading to the forest tomorrow.
  • Munchin
    edited 31 May 2019 at 8:39AM
    Options
    May budget ….very squeaky

Groceries - [STRIKE]£40/[/STRIKE]£39.19 spent
    Dining out/fun - £30/£11.80 spent
    Everything else - £0/£
    Diesel - [STRIKE]£40[/STRIKE]/£65 spent:o

Weekly spends - w/c 26th May

Sun - NSD
    Mon - £11.10 Lidl
    Tues - £30 diesel, 59p milk & £1.80 lunch
    Wed - £10 lunch