Urchhhh's new diary :)

Options

Comments

• Urchhhh
    Urchhhh Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Getting married 7th October 2017 and then off to Mexico for 10 days afterwards!

Should be going on our holiday we won in this October... also to Mexico! Just trying to figure out a date that works with us around the flights they offer!

Originally was going to put the cats in the cattery which would be £210 and then I would have to get their injections done before going, so another £120. Asked my granddad and he's going to look after them for the three weeks we're away in July so its going to save us £330! Very happy

I've planned out my wedding invitations and they are working out to around 75p each to make (going to make my own) so I'm very happy about it. So tempted to buy them now though but its probably too early to do this!

Also remembered car is due it's MOT next month. Yay... Hopefully the car will pass!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ah that will be amazing!!!!

How did you manage to win a holiday, I need to start entering some of these competitions ;-)

Excellent with the money saving by your Grandad taking the cats.

Dxxx
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also think it is something lovely to remember and applaud the fact that you are still putting money in savings. Hurrah for nice hols and wedding. Yay.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Yeah we didn't want to halt the house saving completely so as long as something goes into our house deposit account every month I will be happy. Even if its a penny!
    I have overestimated our budget for the wedding as my parents are contributing to the wedding but aren't sure what they can afford yet. They want to get our holiday out the way first. In total 13 of us going (my grans paid for all our flights and accommodation), my parents have themselves and 3 teenage children to pay for. Their park tickets alone are costing £3000. They still have all food money, spending and 5 days in NYC to pay for. Crazy, me and D's park tickets are costing £180 total as we aren't going to many parks as M has only just turned one and we want to have a relaxing holiday that she can do things with us. So sadly not universal for us (I'm really gutted I can't go to Harry Potter world) but the other 10 are, so jealous but needs must when you have a wedding to pay for!
    the £6000 will cover our budget if we soley pay for it which won't be the case so any extra after the wedding will get chucked over to the house deposit fund!

I entered a win your honeymoon competition on Brides magazine website and won wooo. Never won anything like that before. It has to be taken by the end of March 2017 which is before the wedding so they agreed I could have a 'pre- wedding moon' sorta thing! I'm also discussing with them paying the extra for M to come with us, she'll still be under 2 so shouldn't cost much as the competition was for 2 adults.
    7 nights all inclusive in Mexico for two.... surely beats my last biggest prize I won which was £40 on a scratchcard haha!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That is brilliant!

I cannot see that there would be any issue taking M with you to be honest.

Oh I don't blame you for being gutted about missing Harry Potter world - I love HP & it is amazing in there we spent a whole day.

In fact we are going to HP world & to see the HP play next month in London, so excited!

Dxxx
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    We're seeing cursed child in October! I've been to the studios twice and trying to convince OH to get an earlier flight with me so I can go again before the play! I love Harry Potter so much, I'm a huge fan. I can't believe I'm going all the way to Orlando and not even going to Harry Potter World. I think I'll end up going in a huff when everyone else comes home from there!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Haha you will definitely be in a huff.

We are going down on the Friday to go to HP world then the play on the Saturday - literally cannot wait!!!!!

It is costing quite a bit for the weekend but I don't even care.

Gonna save up a wee bit so I can buy myself some HP goodies when I am down there too ;-)

Dxxx
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow it sounds great. I haven't been abroad for 10 years now everything goes on my house. I am sooo envious. I wish I could go to the USA. It would be a holiday of a lifetime. I am buying W*lkers Crisps as I am desperate to go. lol.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Don't buy too many packets of crisps, end up spending more money than the holiday will cost! haha

Just heard back from Thomas Cook for the competition prize, to add on M will be £59. As long as the hotels have rooms available to the days we asked for the plan is..

London on the Tuesday through Thursday (Cursed child on the Wed) travel up to Manchester on the Thursday (mum will meet us with M at airport or we may get my friend from London to babysit her, not sure yet) then fly to Mexico on the Friday for a week!

London is costing so much. So far spent £200 on theatre tickets and £150 on hotel. The cheapest but nicest hotel in a good area I could find. its very basic but its a place to sleep! Still need to get there!

I'm stuck between two options...
    1. Fly from Edinburgh to London then train to Manchester and fly back to Edinburgh. There seems to only be one flight option daily from Manchester to Edinburgh and its early morning so we are more likely to miss it and have to get the one the next day so added hotel costs. Train seems cheapest option (except for bus) from London to manchester
    2. Drive to Manchester and leave the car there, train to London and back and then drive home after mexico. Just not sure what we would do with our luggage, I don't want to cart it all the way down to London and back and normally you can't go back to your car in the airport parking until you are leaving.

I want to figure out the cheapest method of travelling that is also practical. Obviously the cheapest option would be to get the megabus but its not practical and adds on time we don't have

So things to pay for:
    - travel to London and Manchester
    -parking
    - hotel night before mexico flight in Manchester
    -mums travel to drop off M in Manchester

If I could get all of this for under £300 it would be great!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck with the budget.

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business