PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    Think I might need some help!
    Got less than £50 left and have 2 weekly shops left!

With the increase in food prices is feeding a family of 4 on £200 a month just too little?

I have this week sorted but not sure then, will be lurking in bottom of freezer and storecupboard.

I have 3 lots of mince in freezer but DS aged 9, threw up last time I gave him mince!! looks like we will be having a something on toast night!

Will have to get tough with fussey children!
  • WendysWorld
    WendysWorld Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Originally Posted by dink1
    Hi GUys,

Feelin under weather today, MIL coming this morning and she is always so critical. I keep saying I dont care but I guess I do. I tripped this morning and looks like I've given myself a blackeye and then its pouring with rain so I cant even excape from MIL with a walk!!!!!

Oh well hope every one is ok, HUGS TO LE FOOT pleased you are a little better.

DInk1

Hi Dink! Hope your MIL wasn't too bad? As someone with a critical MIL I know how it can be! I was never good enough for OH in the beginning (together 16 yrs) but luckily he was very supportive. Over the years I've found that reason MIL was so critical is that she's also afraid of not living up to 'the Jones' herself. As a result I am a bit more patient with her and actually get on better with her.

She also talks about neighbours children, how well they're doing etc. etc. so it's not nice for her own children. but they do have a good way of getting back - they' just go on about how great X's mother is and what a great cook, dresser, and (worst of all for MIL) how young she looks!

That keeps her quiet.....so you could sigh enviously about X's great mother/MIL and how supportive, makes great cakes, dresses well etc. etc.....

BM
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Managed to pop back to Lidl and get 4 more cartons of peach iced tea last night.

Have toffee and marshmallow krispi bars to make for later.Iced buns to ice.Courgettes to grate.

HM fishcake and chips for tea,toasted cheese and ham sandwiches for lunch.

Another NSD for me,turfing out my wardrobe and bathroom cupboards!!!Great.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    morning everyone

just popped in to say weather is horrid its raining cats and dogs and my cats have just gone out to join them ... they will probably come back soaked

well have a good day ,, have to go out later to pick up my specs but no shopping I hope

bye for now
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• savingfortravel
    Options
    dink 1
    I agree with Babymother.
    Remember you're in control in your house and what a fantastic partner you are for her son. After all you could be out frittering away all your hard earned money, instead you show great financial awareness in these hard times and always give support, even to people on this thread!!
    Let us know when she is gone and we'll all toast her departure!!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya guys another NSD for me, luckily this month I have to run down the freezer as it seems to be icing up ? is that cheating? Out yesterday to see my sick friend and will probably go again to day. He is paying a girl to look after him so he could come out of hospital, poor love, but she went out for the day and he had a fall and cut his head open, I'm really worried. so oh got him a cordless phone yesterday and we took him out a cooked meal, so could be adding him to food bill I think, thank god for freezers.
    Last of PYO strawberries used on breakfast cerials this am,(still some in freezer though) I've never frozen them before and expect the will come out runny, any suggestions guys.
    I'm trying hard for no waste days as well, am only throwing out peeling,skins etc but I bet someone out there will tell me there's a use for those as well:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    herewegoagain

I have seen on here somene boiling up peeling to make soup withother usual ingredients - onion,carrot,broccoli,cauli,pepper etc

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Herewegoagain
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    annelouise wrote: »
    herewegoagain

I have seen on here somene boiling up peeling to make soup withother usual ingredients - onion,carrot,broccoli,cauli,pepper etc

annelouise

:T I knew someone would have an answer, also could cut peelings a bit thicker and make healthy sw oven chips or thiner and make sw oven crisps but not certain the later will work:rotfl:
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Herewegoagain
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    dink 1
    I agree with Babymother.
    Remember you're in control in your house and what a fantastic partner you are for her son. After all you could be out frittering away all your hard earned money, instead you show great financial awareness in these hard times and always give support, even to people on this thread!!
    Let us know when she is gone and we'll all toast her departure!!
    SFT

Hear hear, just remember these mean minded people are just sad, my mum allowed her mil to ruin her life and still, even though my mum is 77 she gets upset when she thinks of the terrible things she used to say and mil has been dead for 45yrs.
    Dont let this happen to you, your a very special person in a loving relationship and words can't hurt you. As they say, when she's saying/doing these horrible things just think of her as a tiny baby all inecent (sorry spelling!) Or of course theres always the (she sits on the lou *********** just like the rest of us) but the former is kinder
    :A
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just popped on to catch up and update siggy.
    Dink - hope MIL has gone now and you can enjoy the rest of the weekend...
    Have a really tight week this week - did a meal plan with hubby last night as he knows situation we are in and will be using nearly everything up from the freezer, so no store cupboard stuff left for next week :eek: .
    Good thing is that it should be a good payday next week, but this week was pants and loads of bills to pay!

Spent £30.53 in Mr T's (was going to go to lidl's but couldn't go early and they were shut by 8.30pm!) but now have everything (famous last words) that I should need for the week, although I do have to go out and get some cold capsules as I have a stinker! :mad: (although not sure if it's from hayfever or not?)
    Supposed to be going to my Sisters to day for kids party as it's both my neices birthdays - Emily will be 8 and it's Sophies first, but don't want to pass on my germs...:(
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income