Wait for Babies?

Options

Comments

• Thank you to everyone who has posted a comment. They are really useful and I will take them on board and have a chat with hubbie to be. I definitely think it's a good idea to draw up a budget so will have a look into that.

I do agree with the fact that there is never a right time but the loan costs me £430 per month (about the same as our mortgage!!) and I can't see how I can pay it off without working and having a monthly wage coming in.

But to be honest I've not got a clue about benefits, maternity pay etc. so think I need to do some research.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again xx
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Something else to consider :

if you didn't have your loan could you take more time off when the baby is born?

Whilst I appreciate that if people waited until they could afford children, the human race would probably have died out, its also horrible to have to go back to work as soon as possible just because you have loans to pay for.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • kinkypixie
    kinkypixie Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    There is a good site that you can go on to work out what you're entitled to benefit wise, I will look it up and post it, someone else might know the one I'm going on about!!
    LBM - March 2007
    Total debt Jan 2008 - 23,535.62 (£7050.74 - Student Loan):eek: [strike]£16,484.88[/strike] £13,762.86 (NOW) total debt :cry:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW NERD No. 457 Weekly budget £21.68
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    HI LMG
    Is the loan your only debt?
    Have you worked out that you can afford it if you were on mat pay?
    Welcome to MSe by the way!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • emmaroids
    emmaroids Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Options
    no point waiting till your debts are paid off cos you will be skint when a baby comes anyway.
    so have your baby now, you wont regret it.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Ciara_2
    Options
    Also, bear in mind that you may not get pregnant straight away, me and OH have been trying for the last 2 and a half years. Hopefully with the aid of fertility treatment theres light at the end of the tunnel.

It takes an average couple 6 to 12 months to conceive.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's right in that there is no right time to have a baby and that you will manage because you have to BUT having a baby and NO longer having any debt to pay back means you can say I can take longer off work, stop work, go part-time, have a fantastic holiday etc.
  • Mindy_2
    Mindy_2 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest the only person who can decide that the time is right is the two of you.

The fact that you are questioning it means that you aren't sure.

You need to sit down and see whether you would be able to afford to give up work for a period of time, before you return, perhaps your employer would let you go back part-time rather than full-time (although of course there will be childcare costs).

The fact that you are thinking about it in terms of your debt shows you are a responsible person, something perhaps your friend isn't?

Just had a look, and don't think you have said how old you are. wouldn't it be great if I could read - have seen it now! :p

I was lucky that when I got married aged 27 we didn't have any debts other than mortgage and we decided to try straight away, at age 28 the tests started, my OH had to have an operation - testicular varicosea (?sp) - and then we still needed help and had my lovely lovely son at age 32 - but we were a lot older when we started the process.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mindy- the OP says she'll be 30/31 in 3 years time making her 27/28 now.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure