Nst november in new york

Options

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,880 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been AWOL for a number of days. We had some bad news about DH's job on Thursday and are struggling to process it all. Looks like being a bleak Christmas :( There is a glimmer of hope for another role within the same company but it's early days. I am trying to remain positive and stick with the challenge. However Friday morning I did succumb to a shop bought coffee (£1.50 at a one-off little shop near work) and I can honestly say I enjoyed every drop. This was money well spent for me.
    The weekly shop was astronomical this week due to DDad popping things into the trolley - says he will reimburse but he's not back with us until Thursday evening, so I will need to remind him.
    With my job being temp until March it's left us feeling very vulnerable (third time we've been in this position). Grateful for my health, lovely children, and my work colleagues who are being very supportive.
    Will read back when I'm on line later. Hope all are doing okay.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your DH job Coxy11. I hope the other role comes off.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    NSD 10/15 AFD No 12

Sorry to hear your news, Coxy11. I hope something turns up.
    I am such an Autumn person. Give me a quiet cosy spot with a view of the changing leaves on a crisp late September day, a warm drink and a good book and I will be all in my glory.

That was made for me, Mothernerd

Following my extreme laziness yesterday I've achieved quite a lot today. Chipping away at the elephants and trying to build a routine so they don't become elephants in the first place. Tidied one of the freezer drawers and I can't believe what we have to be used. We've spent hardly any of the food budget so far this month. So much so that Himself asked me this morning what on earth we usually spend money on. Erm - Him being unable to resist a food bargain and sneaking things that we don't need in to the trolley when I'm not looking? That and not drinking has resulted in hardly spending anything at all! I think the lack of spending has focused his mind. Long may it continue.

So it's another early night with a book.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news, Coxy - we've been there a few times in this household - and it's not fun. However, skills learned on mse can help get you through. Sounds like the coffee was much needed - and worth far more than the £1.50 it cost ((hugs)) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Coxy - sorry to hear that, I hope something comes along quickly, it really does turn your world upside down.

Worked today, no exercise planned except a dog walk this evening. No money spent.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hugs coxy and fingers crossed for finding something else. I agree with greent - that coffee sounds like it was worth every single penny.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    NSDs Now 4 NSD and 2 XSD. Had to pay for dentist, but that's medical :)

ORGANISE your time. - Worked today, straight after dentist appt. Wasn't booked in until Thurs last week. Have 2 other sessions this week - need to make sure I get stuff done around them.

VALUES (Want - If I get to 8K OPs I am starting my 2020 Florida fund early.)

ENJOY yourself. Had a laugh whilst at work :)

MAKE an inventory of food. Yes, done. Supplies going down nicely - and will be depleted even further after the 2 at uni have been home for the weekend! :rotfl:

BUDGETS Donated to homeless mission and foodbank. Keeping track of spends.

EXERCISE Nope. .

RULES

IN case of emergency I STILL need to put details of my breakdown cover in car as backup. WIll also put another blanket in. Pledge to get this sorted in next few days :D

NOW is the right time. Logged food and drink again today. Am impatient to see some results! :rotfl::rotfl::p

NO takeaways etc - None today.

EVERYONEshould know dfd. Only debt is BTL mtge which we are OP-ing. EXTRA - still need to list a couple of bits on fb00k/ flebay.

WINTER proof your home,- Have got a chap later in month to re-hang kitchen radiator and also service the boiler. OH needs to rehang rear lounge curtains.

YOU should cook from scratch. Yes

OUTSIDE Not really - but it's been rather wet here... (again) - hailstones just before school pick up:eek:

REPORT regularly - here :)

KINDNESS costs nothing. Hmm... not really kindness, but donated a small pile of unwanted stationery to work - saving them a few pennies :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Shrewbie
    Shrewbie Posts: 715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hello everyone!

NSD 6 for me.

VALUES

First bite of my spanish learning elephant

Have conversations every lunchtime in Spanish and spend 30-45 min speaking with different people with the aim of being able to understand most of what they say... this is part of a bigger challenge to reach B2 level (high intermediate) by end of Jan.

How I will achieve this:

Spend 1 hour per day in the mornings reviewing and learning grammar points and specific vocab to use in convos at lunchtime DONE
    spend the time to and from work (40 min per day) listening to spanish podcasts. DONE
    watch 30 min of Spanish TV (crap) in the evenings NOT DONE AS HOUSEMATES HOGGING TV
    30-45 min speaking Spanish at lunchtimes DONE
    Start communicating with my company coordinator & HR director in Spanish. NOT YET, WILL START THIS WK
    Keep up attendance at intercambios (2 hours +) at the weekends.
    any spare time during the day will be spent reading news stories/quora in Spanish. MINIMAL TODAY, BUT DONE

in other news,
    Kindness - spent extra time helping a student today.

Hope everyone has a good evening!! :j
    Student loan £5849
    House deposit €18K/€40k
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2nd post today as I try to keep up with the reporting :)

NSDs - 3/10. Not got one today as have been ordering Christmas gifts for DS

ORGANISE your time - Made more lists for Christmas and using my bu-jo

VALUES - I fund DH's CC!!!! Paid off most of the card and will pay another chunk off when receive refund of mortgage payment

ENJOY yourself – planning on reading my book tonight

MAKE an inventory nope

BUDGETS – I am really pleased with the position we will be in as we go in to January after a very tough year. Budget has been set for next year with any bonuses from DH going to debt, savings and a garden makeover

EXERCISE - None, weather is awful

RULES – sticking to 'em

IN case of emergency – still need screenwash and a fleece in car

Stock up with generic painkillers, cold and flu meds – need some lemsip

NOW – Eaten well today

NO takeaways – None

EVERYONE Aiming for June 2021 (while I'm still 50) at the latest

EXTRA income – signed up to a shop n scan thing for £10 if completed

WINTER proof your home – Still need to rehang dining room and breakfast room curtains [STRIKE]and set h1ve schedule[/STRIKE] - BG engineer set it for us today

YOU should cook from scratch - 100% today and prepped for tomorrow

OUTSIDE – only am school run

REPORT – here I am for the 2nd time today! ;)

KINDNESS - offered (insisted) on picking my Mum up if she intends to get the train up to us for Christmas.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coxy11-Sorry to hear your news. Sending hugs.
    Apple Muncher-Thank you.
    Was a spend day. Have added up what I have spent so far.
    Ticked off 2 of the things on my bucket list. Managed to go over the rope bridge and went to the giants causeway. Really enjoyed the day out.
    Managed to have a wonderful sleep last night. Just had a lovely relaxing bath.
    Someone was nervous about going on the rope bridge. Said I would want and watch her cross. She was with her husband and he went ahead of her to take photos. When she crossed we both waved and gave the thumbs up.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport