Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• wbamattyd
    Options
    I have given them every opportunity and have categorically 'not' missed points out. I have called Sky again tonight, spoke to the same cancellations team who cannot match the £92.00 from yesterday. Indeed they quoted my £96.00 today....
  • wbamattyd
    Options
    I have given them every opportunity and have categorically 'not' missed points out. I have called Sky again tonight, spoke to the same cancellations team who cannot match the £92.00 from yesterday. Indeed they quoted me £96.00 today....

At no point was I offered a 50% reduction as quoted on here, even mentioned this website to them. The chap I spoke to was working on the Cancellations team but who also said he deals with incoming / outgoing subscription cost complaints. He advised they could not get anywhere near yesterday's offer and certainly no way near BT's price.

Trust me, I have been playing this game for 20 years....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    isitenough wrote: »
    Where do the offers show up when you've cancelled? Just cancelled today but obviously want to keep checking of any good offers coming through.

Cancelled today, so closes beginning Feb. Only take the TV package but still have the basic original box so can't even record stuff! £28 a month for that is steep! Sky Chat only offered 40% for 10 months (12 month term). Kept saying I didn't want a contract but he kept ignoring that!

Either on your Sky box (given the age of yours maybe not?), from an email or via the Sky Service App on iOS (presumably) and Android.

We had a small HD box a couple of years back which we'd paid for from Amazon, I simply called them up and told them I thought it was failing and pointed out that we'd not had a box off them since our original white box. They happily sold us a 2TB one for £50. Just be brave and hold out until you're happy with the offer.
  • isitenough
    isitenough Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Either on your Sky box (given the age of yours maybe not?), from an email or via the Sky Service App on iOS (presumably) and Android.

We had a small HD box a couple of years back which we'd paid for from Amazon, I simply called them up and told them I thought it was failing and pointed out that we'd not had a box off them since our original white box. They happily sold us a 2TB one for £50. Just be brave and hold out until you're happy with the offer.

Our box is 16 yrs old so maybe not on there!
    Will keep an eye out on the App. Thanks. At this point we're not bothered if we don't get deals even after it's cancelled. Given we can't even record on our box for what we're paying it's way too much!
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    isitenough wrote: »
    Our box is 16 yrs old so maybe not on there!
    Will keep an eye out on the App. Thanks. At this point we're not bothered if we don't get deals even after it's cancelled. Given we can't even record on our box for what we're paying it's way too much!

They will offer you a deal and given the age of your box I'm 100% certain (yes, 100%) that you'll get a new recordable box off them. probably a Sky Q 1TB one at that unless they have HD+ box's lying about still.
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    quoit wrote: »
    I cancelled last month - due to be switched off in a few days time.

Offers timeline thus far...
    My Sky - 50% off for 12 months offered immediately.

A couple of phone calls from Sky retentions dept missed a week after cancellation.

Follow up text message received with an online link offering 60% off for 12 months.

Follow up letter received offering 60% off for 12 months. Expiy date of 27th December 2016.

Offer of 60% off for 12 months via Services button on Sky remote.

Last few days - online links to 50% and 60% offers now removed and replaced with a message saying "Unable to proceed with offers... please ring this number". However, offer of 60% off still there via Sky remote.

I'll update this thread with details of any further offers after I've been switched off later on this week.

UPDATE:
    Been switched off for a few days now after cancellation last month.

No phone calls. texts or offers by mail... YET.

Offer of 60% discount for 12 months via Services on Sky remote has been removed.

Link to sky.com/reviewmyoptions (another 60% discount offer) now also removed.

My Sky link to "Left within 12 months?" which appeared within 24 hours of being switched off (offering 60% discount) was removed the following day :T

My Sky link currently fluctuating between offers of 50% discount for 10 months and 60% discount for 12 months each time I log in.

The waiting game continues... :beer:
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    quoit wrote: »
    UPDATE:
    Been switched off for a few days now after cancellation last month.

No phone calls. texts or offers by mail... YET.

Offer of 60% discount for 12 months via Services on Sky remote has been removed.

Link to sky.com/reviewmyoptions (another 60% discount offer) now also removed.

My Sky link to "Left within 12 months?" which appeared within 24 hours of being switched off (offering 60% discount) was removed the following day :T

My Sky link currently fluctuating between offers of 50% discount for 10 months and 60% discount for 12 months each time I log in.

The waiting game continues... :beer:

Why wait? Just contact them and tell them you want the 75% off and £100 credit to come back. I got this deal for myself after being off one day and for my in laws the same day they were cut off. They never offered me it, I had to ask.
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    wbamattyd wrote: »
    It is very nice to see a number of customers of Sky have been rewarded for their loyalty but I have not. This is the second time as an existing customer of Sky that I have them unwilling to retain my custom and offer a better deal. Starting to get a bit self conscious lol, is my cash a different value to others? :-) First time I was with Sky for over 10 years, looked for new customer comparable deal but was advised not available to existing customers, looked at Virgin and got a fantastic deal which I was happy with. This was approximately 3 years ago. I then moved house, signed up with Sky for one of their new customer deals, this deal came to an end yesterday. I had everything through them, TV / Broadband and phone. This time (yesterday), I was on 36mb fibre broadband, anytime calls and full tv package. During my 12 months I had this all at a discounted rate of £85.00, which was about to increase in next month to £135.00. Although my DD was for £85.00, I spent nearer to £130.00 each month (calls). I consequently visited BT's website first. Priced up their Total Entertainment, BT Sports UHD package, Multi room / BT Infinity 2 (80mb as I work from home) and call anytime plus they have a tasty sim offer of £10.00, I am very interested in this as one of my mobile contracts is coming to an end next month. BT presented me with a price of £70.00 and this is with their new UHD tv boxes (Sky Q equivalent) and hub. I called Sky as I was armed with a price now and thought my loyalty and persuasion would work, I also advised them to remove the Cinema / Movies element I had, I asked for Sky Q, top broadband and Sky Sports and basic tv with multi room, they have gave me a price of £92.00. I then advised of BT price of £70.00 for the equivalent. Requested they match or improve, they advised no, the £92.00 was the best they could offer. I then said you have had almost £1600 of value out of me this year, never missed a payment, surely you can do a bit better, she said no, £92.00 is the best we can offer. Consequently I have advised to cancel my package, which she did there and then, I received an email literally 2 mins later confirming my cancellation. No retention skills whatsoever or reward for loyalty, I have now signed for BT, however, am still in my 14 day cooling period. However, I am not holding my breath for Sky to call me during this time.

Sadly no one is being rewarded for their loyalty. People who get good deals (50% / 60% off TV) actually cancel and then rejoin before they get cut off. Those who get great TV deals (£75 plus credit), actually wait until they get cut off, then rejoin. Now you've cancelled, you hold the power.

Have you contacted them to ask for a deal since you put your cancellation in? If not Its worth a couple of phone calls, one to the broadband/phone team and another to the TV department to see what they can offer you now. Hope you get something sorted.
  • Liberty1577
    Liberty1577 Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    wbamattyd wrote: »
    I have given them every opportunity and have categorically 'not' missed points out. I have called Sky again tonight, spoke to the same cancellations team who cannot match the £92.00 from yesterday. Indeed they quoted me £96.00 today....

At no point was I offered a 50% reduction as quoted on here, even mentioned this website to them. The chap I spoke to was working on the Cancellations team but who also said he deals with incoming / outgoing subscription cost complaints. He advised they could not get anywhere near yesterday's offer and certainly no way near BT's price.

Trust me, I have been playing this game for 20 years....

Just seen your updated post. The cancellation team have very limited offers. As soon as you actually cancel you deal with the retentions/win back team who have much better offers available. Definitely worth a call, especially since you've got your BT deal to use as a negotiating tool.

Just as a bench mark for you, a friend of mine recently got 60% off and £100 credit. He got this after cancelling but before being cut off. Obviously this was just the TV, not sure what current deals they have for BB/phone once you've actual cancelled. I'd be interested to hear what they offer if you do contact them. Good luck.
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Why wait? Just contact them and tell them you want the 75% off and £100 credit to come back. I got this deal for myself after being off one day and for my in laws the same day they were cut off. They never offered me it, I had to ask.

Several reasons for waiting.

1. I don't regard having Sky as one of life's necessities.

2. I'm in no hurry and happy to pay precisely £0 for the time being.

3. The best deals I've been offered have been when Sky contact me and not the other way around. It provides a better and more productive haggling starting point and potentially beneficial outcome when Sky make the move for your custom instead.

4. I prefer discounted offers also applied to Multiroom and HD content as this works out cheaper for me. For example, 60% discounts also applied to Multiroom and HD works out cheaper for me than 75% off just a viewing package. When Sky do make contact, I'll be haggling for discounted Multiroom, HD content and a credit applied.

5. There are other ways of viewing Sky channels (and lots more content from other providers) at no extra cost. Not as convenient as a subscription but still accessible via streaming.

6. I enjoy playing the annual discount game with Sky :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure