Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2018 at 12:52PM
    Options
    OK pixie,
    can we have flight number, which airline were you actually flying with (although to some extent this irrelvent in respect of EU as you were flying out of Southhampton? ) Or was your return flight from Guernsey delayed/cancelled?

Is Guernsey exempt from EU reg 261/2004 as they are (voluntarily) bound by some EU legislation?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2018 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Hi Pixiepants,

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news about your father, what a miserable trip you had.

Unfortunately I'm the bearer of more bad news....

According to Article 355 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU), EU law does not apply to the countries and territories listed in Annex II to the TFEU16. Instead, those countries and territories are subject to the special association arrangements laid down in accordance with Part Four of the TFEU. Moreover, it does not apply to the Faeroe Islands, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands according to the act of accession of Denmark and the United Kingdom. Therefore, these territories are to be considered as third countries within the meaning of the Regulation17.

So the Channel Islands are treated a special case by the EU and your delay falls between the cracks!

Even more bad news in this Wiki article too....

Franchise deal with Flybe[edit]
    In January 2016, Blue Islands revealed their franchise deal with Flybe, which allowed Blue Islands to operate their flights in Flybe branded aircraft. Flybe branded flights began 6 June 2016.[21]

In July 2016, Blue Islands was heavily criticized by the States of Jersey and Guernsey after several aircraft were found to have technical problems, causing high numbers of delays and cancellations. This caused weeks of disruption to Blue Islands' services and meetings with States officials to put measures into place to prevent events like this to occur again.[22] CICRA (the Channel Islands competition watchdog) wrote a letter to the airline, asking them to address the measures and the benefits of the franchise deal with Flybe.[23]

In December 2016, CICRA accused Blue Islands of contravening and potentally breaking the Channel Islands' competition laws through the Flybe franchise deal. The watchdog says that the deal "...may have restricted competitive choices, including schedules and which routes the competitors can fly." They say that the airline's response to its letter was not satisfactory and has now started a full investigation into the airline and the franchise.[24]

Unfortunately I really cannot see you getting anywhere with this, sorry.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    Options
    As you can only book through the flybe website and the aircraft are in flybe livery, surely this is misleading to the consumer. Bordering on deception in my mind.
    I think the man in the street, when using this service would think they are flying with flybe, not some second rate offshore operation...

• glenmcl
    glenmcl Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I received confirmation Fromm FlyBe that my flight was delayed due to a technical issue with the plane and was offered the following:

In recognition of the disruption experienced and by way of compensation, I would like to offer you a credit note to the sum of £75.00 for redemption against a future Flybe flights.

Is this acceptable? I really don!!!8217;t want credit for another FlyBe flight I want the compensation and be able to choose what I spend it on and where!

Thanks
    Glen
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 9:35AM
    Options
    glenmcl wrote: »
    I received confirmation Fromm FlyBe that my flight was delayed due to a technical issue with the plane and was offered the following:

In recognition of the disruption experienced and by way of compensation, I would like to offer you a credit note to the sum of £75.00 for redemption against a future Flybe flights.

Is this acceptable? I really don!!!8217;t want credit for another FlyBe flight I want the compensation and be able to choose what I spend it on and where!

Thanks
    Glen

You don’t have to accept a credit for a flight delay and you may be entitled to much more. Depends on the length of the delay, the exact reason and where you were flying to and from. Start by reading Vaubans guide and take things from there.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • elle1980
    Options
    We flew with Air France from Curitiba in Brazil to Manchester on 10 and 11 April. All went to plan with the first two flights in the journey from Curitiba to Sao Paulo, and then Sao Paulo to Paris. The flight from Paris to Manchester, operated by FlyBe, was delayed almost 9 hours due to a technical fault.

I'm not clear when claiming compensation if I should be asking for the short-haul or long-haul compensation. Obviously, our overall journey is classified as long-haul, but the affected flight would be termed a short-haul flight. Please can someone advise me? I've tried finding an answer through Google search with no success.
  • JPears
    edited 10 May 2018 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Hi,
    Unfortunately there is no clear definition here and there are arguments for both sides.
    IMHO, as the cause of the delay is on your last leg, which is <1500km you are due Euro250 and the claim is against Flybe, not Air France.
    There is an argument that the regulation allows a claim for a single ticket journey claim so the full amount would be due?

• NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    I can see what you’re saying JP, I think it would all get over complicated if Elle tried to claim anything more than the €250 per person, that’s what I’d go for.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mike_romeo
    Options
    Hi All,

I have a quick query please.

My Flybe domestic flight from Glasgow was cancelled 1 hour before departure. After queuing at the ticket desk, the alternative flight offered was from Edinburgh, and scheduled to arrive at my destination at 1455, exactly 3 hours after my original scheduled time. They were going to provide ground transport across to Edinburgh.

Due to it being a short business trip, I decided not to travel and requested a refund. Am I correct in that because I took a refund and didn't travel, I'm not eligible for any compensation given their alternative arrangement had me arriving 3 hours late.

Thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mike_romeo wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a quick query please.

My Flybe domestic flight from Glasgow was cancelled 1 hour before departure. After queuing at the ticket desk, the alternative flight offered was from Edinburgh, and scheduled to arrive at my destination at 1455, exactly 3 hours after my original scheduled time. They were going to provide ground transport across to Edinburgh.

Due to it being a short business trip, I decided not to travel and requested a refund. Am I correct in that because I took a refund and didn't travel, I'm not eligible for any compensation given their alternative arrangement had me arriving 3 hours late.

Thanks

Hi mike_romeo,

Have a read of this article, it should answer all your questions.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-cancellation-compensation

You can also always give their delay calculator a try too.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure