Warning: Exemplar Education

Options
Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
Exemplar are ruthless.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do hope you get it sorted.

I'm very disappointed to hear that your children's school circulated leaflets for what sounds like a disreputable company. I do hope you've told the school what's happened.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Are there specific situations in which you're able to cancel and does your situation comply with this? Is it a credit arrangement that you're trying to cancel rather than an actual course?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it worth raising this with the school?. As you say they had the leaflets and may, possibly, be able to intervene with Exemplar for you
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    twinsmum08 wrote: »
    I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.

Almost nobody, that's how these sort of people get away with it.
    They have page after page of small print, who has the time and sometimes the legal knowledge to read and understand it all.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    twinsmum08 wrote: »
    Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
    I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
    So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
    Exemplar are ruthless.
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

The Guardian has an excellent consumer column too that often sorts out these sort of issues.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Make sure you inform the school about this, they need to pay more attention to who they're allowing to use them for passing on leaflets. It might also appear that this company are approved of/endorsed by the school.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    “Who doesn’t read the small print”

I know and I’m just the same. With the exception of the cancellation clause. I always read just that.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wow they don't look a good company.

They have had so many company name changes and insolvenies (sp)

I went online chat and asked Sarah for a contact telephone number. After a grilling why I needed it she gave me 0800 048 8692.

Good luck with stopping the contract.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what is your notice period?
    If you have chosen the Exemplar subscription option then, subject to the notice period, you can completely stop using it and then re-start again subject to your requirements, but again we would stress that Exemplar is specifically there to help children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential and erratic study habits would be detrimental to the effects of any tuition provided.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback