Oled tv screen burn

Options

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If Currys returned your TV badly damaged, you need to take that up with them as a separate issue.
  • Alf123
    Alf123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, I have not interrupted any cycle from day one and initiated a full 80 minute cycle before calling currys (I have been an IT techie for a long time and actually read the manuals) so if this has happened to me with normal domestic use then it can happen to anyone... There must be legal recourse on this as even though I was aware of burn in possibilities I was not made aware of warranty exclusions and waited until I thought the technology was 'mature' before diving in...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I can't find the reports of the factry issues that gets seen after a long clean cycle.
    If I doI will try to remember to post.

Anyway in the mean tine there are people getting/refund/replace including from currys on this thread

(recent ones from page 80+)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/oled-screen-burn-permanent-image-retention.2056624
  • Alf123
    Options
    Well currys have stepped up and offered me full original value to get another tv, although this was because of damage not burn in, so I'm looking again but without the previous relish as it took me months to decide on the panny. Knowing what I know now do any manufacturers cover burn in under warranty or do I have to go back to led....? I am looking low to mid range oled prices and I don't think the recent post about Samsung warranties covers the sub £1600 sets...?
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Well currys have stepped up and offered me full original value to get another tv

You don't say what you had but if you want the key features of OLED, deep blacks wide viewing angle and decent HDR then there are not a lot of options.

Last year when I was looking(2017 selloff) the Sony and Samsung LED were the alternatives with 2018 on run out and 2019 coming on line no idea what the current picks are.

If viewing was not a cause of a central square you could go with another OLED and hope that was a manufacturing defect.

Is your problem like the 25% window issue that LG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0AXzWm2cI
  • Alf123
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the link, the central rectangle is exactly what I had! However, mine was a 2018 model so is it really limited to 2017 batches... Still awaiting a response from Panasonic after sending the pictures of it but of course it's a moot point now since currys damaged it...
  • getmore4less
    Options
    You will need to look to see if there are reports of FZ models getting the problem, EZ(what I have) do have the problem.
  • cm004d8137
    cm004d8137 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2019 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Purchased an LG OLED 55" in 2016 at £2299 no problems for 2.5 years and now I see the BBC's "PRESS RED" logo and the BBC NEWS logo burnt in to my screen no matter what its viewing, it has only just occurred and i DO NOT leave it paused for any length of time but I do watch a lot of news. Is this a fault as OLED's get older, it has ruined my viewing experience and wasted a lot of money. Side note my 2011 LG LCD 55" is unaffected and still good!
  • cm004d8137
    cm004d8137 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2019 at 10:04PM
    Options
    OLED burn-in from the comments here there is a distinct lack of support/sympathy from all of those OLED owners who have not YET had the problem, like me it appeared after 2.5 years of 'normal' TV watching, i do not play games I do not pause the screen, just watch TV simples! I have image burn from the PRESS RED (top right) and BBCNews (bottom left) I am not watching this all day every day just 'normal'
  • cm004d8137
    Options
    Mine was manufactured in 2015 purchased in 2016 and has took until middle of 2019 to show burn-in, I am a normal TV viewer with a very expensive ruined LG TV
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback