Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 22nd Mar 09, 7:48 PM
    • 5,791Posts
    • 37,638Thanks
    Kaz2904
    RAF Waddington?
    • 22nd Mar 09, 7:48 PM
    RAF Waddington? 22nd Mar 09 at 7:48 PM
    This is a really really long shot!
    I've been up to RAF Waddington for the weekend to see my sons Godfather. Unfortunately on Saturday my son left his scruffy looking yellow (grey) teddy bear in the park (The one nearest the front gate). When we realised it was there we went back but it had gone. I have been round and round the camp looking for Owen (The teddy) but couldn't find it. I think one of the children who were playing in the park may have taken it home and then it been slung in the bin.
    My son is devastated- he's not spent a night apart from this blasted teddy in 5.5 years. They aren't made any more so I can't replace it either. I've just put him to bed in tears again because he's lost his friend.

If anyone lives or works (or knows anyone who does) on camp please could you keep your eyes peeled. If you find him then please pm me or look in the spar shop for the notice which will give you our friends phone number.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and if we manage to find Owen then I think I will love you forever!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Laura; 31-03-2009 at 6:31 PM.
Page 2
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 23rd Mar 09, 10:09 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    The spar shop is outside of the main camp, this is on the edge of the married patch, so its more likely to of been returned.

Any other camp where the spar shop is inside the fence, then it would of probably been thrown in the bin.

Im glad he is on his way home..

Regards,

Alias

• jacand
    • By jacand 24th Mar 09, 8:23 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    jacand
    So glad you've got him back. Nice to see a happy ending.
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 24th Mar 09, 12:57 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Teahfc
    Not sure why i picked this thread and topic but so pleased I have.

Great news to hear and now I am 47 still rememebr how distraught I was losing my 'friend' a monkey on a zebra (dont ask )( hand knitted) that was with me for my firsdt 6 years in this world .
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 24th Mar 09, 3:53 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Brilliant news, Kaz - really glad the teddy is being re-united with his owner!
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Mar 09, 8:30 PM
    • 13,102 Posts
    • 49,274 Thanks
    Nelski
    Great news Kaz
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Mar 09, 11:11 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Wow this is lovely

Glad you got the teddy back - hope its not traumatised by its absense.

Did you actually get it back via the help from this board, or was it more the suggestions? It's such a nice feelgood tale in current times.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 25th Mar 09, 8:11 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Oh swoon! The man himself posted on my thread!

Owen was returned by an anonymous person. I don't know whether they had read this thread or not. Even so, I still feel all warm and fluffly because of the help everyone on here has given.
    We've decided not to have Owen sent through the post. I don't think my nerves could stand it. To this day my sister and I remember a house move where a tea chest full of stuff went missing. It contained her precious panda.
    Not a clue what else was in it but we remember that panda going missing! We were tiny then too (DS's age).
    • EmmEve
    • By EmmEve 27th Mar 09, 9:30 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    EmmEve
    aww yay glad your lo and his teddy were reunited
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 30th Mar 09, 11:00 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Well whether this thread helped or not... how lovely...
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 31st Mar 09, 10:39 PM
    • 8,586 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    aww great story! found the link in this weeks email ! Thank god Owen is saved!

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

• vaio
    • By vaio 31st Mar 09, 11:27 PM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    vaio
    I’m surprised the RAF don’t divert a training flight past your house and drop him off for you. I’ve seen aircraft used for less important things.
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Apr 09, 12:31 AM
    • 23,906 Posts
    • 155,618 Thanks
    Aesop
    so pleased teddy being returned x
    Make upto 10 a day - September 2019 0.00

Make upto 10 a day - best thread ever.
    • CAE
    • By CAE 1st Apr 09, 1:15 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    CAE
    That just goes to show the power of MSE. I knew it was wonderful!
  • Pooky23
    What a wonderful story!

My DS who is almost 10 has a special teddy who has been his companion since he was born. He has been lost on more than one occasion but luckily has always been found. I am so happy that this was a happy ending for you and your son too.
    • tiamai_d
    • By tiamai_d 1st Apr 09, 11:43 AM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 71,135 Thanks
    tiamai_d
    Awwww!!!!! How lovely that Owen is comiong home
  • katthehat
    A Happy Ending, your DS will sleep soundly at night now!

My twin daughters (adults now!) used to have a 'sniffy cush each' (normal sofa cushions) i had to prise them from under thier heads whilest sleeping and wash n dry the covers and put them back for when they awoke, but they always knew they'd been laundered, they prefered them when they smelt of 'home!'
    Kat
  • Baron Veryhardup
    RAF Waddington
    So very pleased to learn of the safe return from Ops of Grp/Capt Owen (well he did capture a lot of interest from a group of arctophiles didn't he?) and it was heartening to learn that today's children do care for some of their teddies. Lady Hardup, my wife, and I call at the local recycling centre once a month to purchase some 25 -35 thrown away bears. We take them home and her ladyship washes them in the machine even though the labels say surface washable only (on a low temp. delicates wash - and she has never lost one yet) repair with ribbon and buttons and take them to charity shop and events where they are returned to children who do care at the same time as enhancing the funds of the charity concerned. It would be nice to think that they are rehomed to such caring folk as Owen's. Her ladyship's oldest bear will be 70 years young this Christmas, in his younger days he was known as Teddy but as he matured Edward seemed more apt.
  • nunnygirl
    Absolutely fab that Owen's coming home!

I remember reading this thread when it was first started and feeling a little sad that a little boy had lost a teddy he'd had for so long, but to hear he's coming back........wow!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
    2011 Total - 526.62

2012 Total - 503.87
    • alliboy03
    • By alliboy03 1st Apr 09, 12:15 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    alliboy03
    you've made my day!! but we found a bear please read !
    I've sent a message to the big man himself. I always tell the kids that this site is really important and they'll be thankfull for it one day. Now they are!
    Originally posted by Kaz2904

Can I just say me and my son found a very bedraggled looking bear in the Red cross shop in Grantham Lincolnshire last year, the lady out the counter didnt know who he belonged to, so we took him home. My 5year old loves him but it would be nice if he was reunited with its owner! As he look's very loved!! He's blue and has marks on him that wont come off! I know this is a long shot, Thanks for reading
    • janeymates
    • By janeymates 1st Apr 09, 12:16 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    janeymates
    What a lovely heart warming story, especially with the happy ending!

Takes me back to the day when we were travelling back from Cornwall or somewhere and my brother threw my Hollie Hobby doll (anyone remember them?!) in the car, it flew passed my Dads head and out the drivers window onto the motorway!! I have to say at this point that my brother was nearly as distressed as me, as he didn't mean it to go out the window!! .. I was so upset, my Dad said 'we'll get you another one' and I was crying 'it's not the same' , in the end poor Dad had to double back, pull up on the hard shoulder and RUN (!) across the motorway and pick it up! I must stress at this point that I am 37 now and the motorways were a lot quieter in those days!! .. she had a black tyre mark on her face where someone had ran over her! but fortunately it came out when Mum washed it!

I still have the doll, and it is a favourite tale of my Nephews 'do you remember when my Dad threw your doll out the window' he's always saying!! lol.

So these things are important (i have mental scars!)
    Best read i've had in ages! Welcome Home Owen
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,518Users online

Martin's Twitter