Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My facial day cream is the Lidl own brand which really suits the skin on my face.

im the same but i use Aldi own brand , Ive tried expensive creams , but these really suit my skin ,and are a fraction of the cost , I read ages ago in one of the magazines , where theyd asked women to trial different brands , no one knew which they was using , some were VERY expensive , and the Aldi one came out top . (Lidl wasnt used for the trial ) I expected the price to sky rocket after the results were announced , but it didnt . which i was really pleased about.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Moll wrote: »
    im the same but i use Aldi own brand , Ive tried expensive creams , but these really suit my skin ,and are a fraction of the cost , I read ages ago in one of the magazines , where theyd asked women to trial different brands , no one knew which they was using , some were VERY expensive , and the Aldi one came out top . (Lidl wasnt used for the trial ) I expected the price to sky rocket after the results were announced , but it didnt . which i was really pleased about.

I used to use the Aldi day cream and I think LL did too.

It's really good but unfortunately it started to make my eyes water. I don't know if it was me or they changed the recipe. :(

Thanks for the description of WW LL . Now that it's been revamped it's very similar to SW. SW has limitless free food too but it's part of the plan to eat at least a third of meals as fruit and veg. As you're not eating carbs then you're probably doing that anyway.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 April 2019 at 11:43PM
    Options
    Yes I came unstuck with Aldi face creams, made my eyes sore but Its true that Aldi cosmetics consistently win beauty industry awards, so if your skin likes them then why Pay more. They contain the same active ingredients found in products that cost much much more.

I think it was the "caviar" range which cost around £6 which had the same ingredients as The Creme de La Mer range. Apparently the Aldi product came out a close 2nd to La Mer

edited to add......

Just spotted on my Facebook feed.......LaMer 50ml £390. Lol.

I haven't tried Lidl products in recent years but when we spent a lot of time in Spain our local Lidl stocked a range of cosmetics which were based on olive oil. 500ml of body lotion SLS free, for 1 Euro, best I've ever used. The range was really good, don't know if U.K. Lidl's stock them.

Humptydumptybits....you are quite right, the best thing you can do for your skin is to refrain from smoking. Smoking and sun damage are the worst things for inflicting damage. Drinking is fine - in moderation of course. The other thing that harms skin is by going on extreme low fat diets. Skin needs some fat because it helps to retain moisture.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Ok here's some science. The skin is protected by the acid mantle, a layer of natural oils, sebum and sweat. It helps skin maintain integrity, retain moisture and repel harmful bacteria.

Using harsh chemicals and/or washing too often will strip the mantle. SLS, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, a foaming agent and surfecant, is found in many products - it is particularly harmful and is best avoided wherever possible.

Long term use can make skin thinner, so it should not be used on elderly people who will be prone to thinner more fragile skin. Nor should it be used on babies or young children. It should not be used where varicose veins are present, and it should never be used on skin ulcers or excema prone skin.

Ideally it should be banned. :o but it's a cheap ingredient so it continues to be used.

At one time it was very difficult to find SLS free products, and they tended to be quite expensive. Luckily they are far more readily available now, even in supermarkets, and although they still cost slightly more, they are well worth the investment.

What really shocks me is that products such as Cetraban are still prescribed, especially for elderly patients with dry fragile skin as an emollient or worse still as a moisturiser where it remains in contact on the skin. It clearly states on the bottle "not for long term use" and not to be used on broken skin.

Maman I know you swear by acqueous cream and you've had no ill effects but it would also be on my banned list. Ok for short term use perhaps but again I wouldn't recommend it for the longer term.

I know they can be messy and take a while to sink in but I think oils are much better for very dry skin.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been reading about under active thyroids and it seems like some foods might make it worse so I am avoiding them now until I get the next blood test at the end of May.

Rainy day here today. My husband is working the late shift this week so I'm going back to bed now.;)
    maman wrote: »
    I used to use the Aldi day cream and I think LL did too.

It's really good but unfortunately it started to make my eyes water. I don't know if it was me or they changed the recipe. :(

Oh, yes, that has started happening to me with my lovely new cream, not from Aldi.:mad: It smells gorgeous as well, like oranges. I have to avoid the eye area now.:(
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LL - when I wear full make up I always remove it - I now use some gel baby oil and facial wipes but I have to wash my face with warm water after! I have never used soap on my face - just a flannel and warm water. My skin looks quite good for early 70's! I do make sure I have some sort of sun protection factor even in winter and I've never smoked. I bought a Lidl BB cream on a whim and it's easily as good as my Est!e Lauder one.
    Aldi used to do a copy of the L'Oreal double firming gel and moisturiser. It was excellent but they haven't had it for a few years now. I wonder if there were issues with LO over it. I didn't know that Aldi's caviar creme was similar to La Mer - may buy some next time I see it - Thank you
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Wednesday. You can definitely boost thyroid function by making dietary changes. I can tell by my nails that my thyroid is healing. Although my eyebrows haven't grown back much at least the hair loss has halted now. Foods containing natural iodine really help. Miso soup is a really quick and easy source.

The other thing to remember is that your thyroid won't function properly if your adrenal glands are stressed or depleted, so it might be worth adding adrenal support supplements to your regime.

Rain here......so not really shed clearing weather :rotfl: will concentrate on a few inside jobs today.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 2 April 2019 at 10:03AM
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    LL - when I wear full make up I always remove it - I now use some gel baby oil and facial wipes but I have to wash my face with warm water after! I have never used soap on my face - just a flannel and warm water. My skin looks quite good for early 70's! I do make sure I have some sort of sun protection factor even in winter and I've never smoked. I bought a Lidl BB cream on a whim and it's easily as good as my Est!e Lauder one.
    Aldi used to do a copy of the L'Oreal double firming gel and moisturiser. It was excellent but they haven't had it for a few years now. I wonder if there were issues with LO over it. I didn't know that Aldi's caviar creme was similar to La Mer - may buy some next time I see it - Thank you

Well at £6 ish, Aldi's caviar creme is a good bet. Definitely worth trying. When I use Aldi creams I just make sure I don't put it anywhere near my eyes and then I'm usually ok. Then I wash my hands immediately to avoid inadvertently transferring product to the eye area.

I'm only using dermoligica at the moment because my skin is going through an especially sensitive phase. And I'm pretty sure that is due to months of central heating. As soon as Summer comes and I can manage without ch my skin improves almost immediately. I am hoping I can use something a little less expensive once skin has calmed down again. I do find vitamin c serum helpful.

I still use water on my face. I don't feel really clean without it, just not soap. Most soaps are really far too harsh for the face. Some cleansing bars are fine.....I used to use a Clinique bar and got on well with that but that was a long time ago and I do think my skin has become more sensitive with age and I don't get on well with Clinique now.

Skin becomes thinner and more delicate with age, especially in areas where there isn't much underlying flesh. That's why shins are especially vulnerable in elderly people and why it so important to keep the legs moisturised to maintain skin integrity and avoid opening it up to ulcers.

The best dry skin products are the ones that contain glycerine which is a humectant, it helps draw moisture from the atmoshere onto the surface of the skin. The problem is glycerine has a horrible texture and it just leaves skin feeling "tacky" to the touch.

Does anyone remember Atrixo hand cream:rotfl: - works like a dream but leaves skin feeling horribly greasy and tacky.

Finding the right products can be like searching for unicorns......:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi all, just catching up on everyone's fabbing posts!

I have been doing little bits here and there, got my nails re-done at the weekend and I've been mainly working on keeping myself hydrated. I drink lots of water as I feel really dehydrated all of the time (thirsty, chapped lips, etc) but I feel like it's a losing battle as where I work the only heaters I have are right by me under my desk, so I need those to keep warm but it means they are constantly blowing onto me.

I'm going to get my hair trimmed in the next week or so, I did debate getting a lot of it chopped so it grows even where I have the breakage at the nape of my neck. However, the only way I could cope with this would be a graduated bob but the hair around my face is too dry for that to look sleek and stylish, so that's a no-go for now. Hopefully by the time my hair needs colouring again, I will have found my dream hairdresser who can work miracles and advise me :rotfl:

A face mask will be in order tonight, I finally managed two in the same week a while back and the difference in my skin was amazing, it definitely needs lots of TLC at the moment

I'm enjoying reading about all the Aldi products you are all recommending, I will be getting more of our food shop from there for a while so I will have to take a look at their beauty things. The only added extra I really use at the minute is an eye cream as I was starting to really notice the skin there looking tired and sorry for itself, which seems to be making a good difference :)
  • Dorothy60
    Dorothy60 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fabbers!! Gosh you all sound lovely and motivated and thoroughly fab! Can I join you please? LL, so interested in your WW journey. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start a WW thread, someone, like the SW one. I have been quietly losing weight, only 6 lbs but I really do need some structure and support as ideally I would like to lose another stone. I am 60 and blimey it's not so easy as you get older to lose the flab, is it Lovely Ladies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure