Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 12:33PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 257.7K views

Replies

• Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did a face scrub, rose water toner and then a mud face pack last night. I layered on some serum and then some almond oil afterwards.

I'm using those slippers that get all the dead skin off your feet as well.:D
    chanie wrote: »
    Lovely day here in London.

DD started throwing up during the early hours of the morning - firstly in her bed and then twice in mine and OH's bed. I couldn't go into work today, but I have been doing some work from home (whilst tackling the mountain of bedding I have needed to wash from DD throwing up).

I think I might have a nap now... been up since 3am.

Oh no!:(

It is a gorgeous day here.:)
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chanie wrote: »
    Lovely day here in London.

DD started throwing up during the early hours of the morning - firstly in her bed and then twice in mine and OH's bed. I couldn't go into work today, but I have been doing some work from home (whilst tackling the mountain of bedding I have needed to wash from DD throwing up).

I think I might have a nap now... been up since 3am.

Ouch.....you must be shattered. Hope she's ok now.

Maman.....I used to get my Clarins from Debenhams, or better still at the airport. I wonder why Boots are being cagey.......I think the beauty flash stuff is fabulous. Hope you track it down soon. I'll let you know if I see any good offers. I don't know If they still do it but Superdrug did their own version, which was ok but I still prefer the real thing.

I'm with you about the politicians looking scruffy and down at heel. Sheesh they earn enough.......And they are representing our country so they ought to make an effort.

I have a penchant for suede rather than leather. As well as the improved quality of fake leather, I think some faux suedes are really good now.

I have just ordered a tan faux suede trench coat online. M&S. My last faux suede trench coat was cream, it lasted years, and you could just fling it in The washing machine. I wore it to death, it literally fell apart in the end. I always felt like a million dollars in it and it always got loads of compliments. Hopefully the new one will be as good.

Lovely to see my friend, Had a mooch round the shops but didn't buy anything today. Nothing took my fancy so no point buying for the sake of it,

Going to sit out in the sun now and then toddle off to WW later. I didn't think it was going to be this warm today so going to make the most of it because the forecast isnt great.
  • MollMoll Forumite
    421 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    DD started throwing up during the early hours of the morning -

aww hope she feels better soon x
  • MollMoll Forumite
    421 posts
    ✭✭
    Just had to come and share.......

If my scales are right then this morning I have smashed through the 12 stone barrier.....wahoo. :rotfl: so pleased.

wow well done , you are doing amazing xxx
  • edited 1 April 2019 at 6:02PM
    MollMoll Forumite
    421 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 1 April 2019 at 6:02PM
    ive been doind Slimming World ( At home ) to lose the weight , but MANY years ago i used to go to Weight Watchers, and have to admit i lost more weight there. Im sure it was because they control portion sizes better. BUT it was before they changed to ...was it pro points? anyway it was different , and i didnt like it , For the people who do WW, how does it work now ? im wondering if id be better going to a WW group , ? How does it work now , is there a lot of variety of foods i can eat? and can you still claim points back with exersize? I CAN do it at home , i dont need the support of a WW group to stick to it like some do , but its been so many years that i dont have any of the books now so wouldnt have a clue what i could or couldnt eat
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chanie I hope she is feeling better and you've been able to get a rest. Dealing with vomit in the middle of the night is a nightmare, I should know I've done enough of it!

Well I've bitten the bullet and have a consultation with a hairdresser on Wednesday to talk through options and what they recommend. Phoned up and they wanted to know what sort of colour I wanted, foil, whole head or whatever, I said I haven't a clue as I've never had it done before so she said better come in and have a chat and a patch test. Hoping to get it done Friday but couldn't book a definite appointment as they didn't know what sort of time to book. Why is everything so complicated. They do olaplex which a glamorous young friend told me to get, who am I to argue with the wisdom of a beautiful 21 year old? So I will be discussing that as well. Apparently it stops the colour damaging your hair, well I think that is what it does. I've got some work on Thursday (good job to pay for all this glamourising) and then a facial on Saturday. I won't know myself, well I hope I will look different after spending all this money.

I feel very reckless, I've never spent much on myself, not a martyr but I don't like shopping or getting my hair done so I don't do either unless I have to. I have been blessed with good skin so never spent much on that either, I don't drink or smoke and I think that helps with skin. Maybe I'll get a taste for self indulgence. Up to now my idea of spoiling myself was a Danish pastry or a bar of chocolate. I'm off to the garage to pick car up after MOT so this is going to be a very expensive week.
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Ladies,

LL congratulations on dropping below 12 stones :D

Chanie I hope your daughter is feeling a whole lot better by tomorrow

My priority is to take care of the skin on my face and my body. I love to dress in a way that makes the best of my flawed body. I buy my clothes and accessories like shoes, sandals and handbags from eBay. I save so much money buying the brands that I prefer from eBay. I am not averse to buying used clothing or a pair of shoes or sandals that have been worn once. Mostly everything I buy is new. I buy almost all of the gifts for my family and friends from eBay. :D

My facial day cream is the Lidl own brand which really suits the skin on my face. :D I used to buy No7 Protect and Perfect day cream which cost £25. Even though I only used to buy the No7 cream when it was on 3 for 2 offer, I am making huge financial savings with the Lidl day cream as it only costs £1.47 for 50ml. :D

I am currently treating myself to lots of new items of clothing and new shoes and sandals from eBay. I know I am worth it. I pay cash for all of my purchases on eBay via PayPal. As I had savings available from selling items on eBay and some gold to Hatton Garden Metals, then I have not felt guilty adding to my large wardrobe of existing clothing. ;)

I love leather and although I had a Phase Eight leather black with cream edging jacket and a Red Kaleidoscope leather jacket I bought myself a used Navy blue and white Kaleidoscope leather jacket from eBay last week.

I do not buy from any of the local charity shops as they do not stock quality items of clothing. They have far too many Primark items of clothing that are over priced. I prefer not to buy Primark clothing even when it is new, although I will buy socks and night wear from Primark for my 2 younger children.
  • edited 1 April 2019 at 6:42PM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2019 at 6:42PM
    Moll wrote: »
    ive been doind Slimming World ( At home ) to lose the weight , but MANY yerars ago i used to go to Weight Watchers, and have to admit i lost more weight there. Im sure it was because they control portion sizes better. BUT it was before they changed to ...was it pro points? anyway it was different , and i didnt like it , For the people who do WW, how does it work now ? im wondering if id be better going to a WW group , ? How does it work now , is there a lot of variety of foods i can eat? and can you still claim points back with exersize? I CAN do it at home , i dont need the support of a WW group to stick to it like some do , but its been so many years that i dont have any of the books now so wouldnt have a clue what i could or couldnt eat

There is a Sw support group on here, perhaps we need a WW one. :rotfl:

They don't actually call it Weight Watchers anymore, they have a had a total rebrand. It's just WW (Wellness that Works) and the focus is definitely on healthy eating,

There are 200 foods (at least) which are classed as Freestyle......in other words - fill yer boots. So that's fruit, veg, salads etc and surprisingly skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, unsmoked fish and eggs. Everything else has a points value.

I am sure you could do it by yourself......you would just need an up to date points guide.

I have a daily points allowance of 23, and a further weekly allowance of 35. You can save 4 points max per day to put towards your weekly allowance for special outings (that's what I did for yesterday). And yes you can earn bonus points for exercise, eg 30 minutes of brisk walking will give you 1 extra point. You cannot save unused weekly points for the next week.

It sounds complicated but it really is very simple once you get your head round it.

They don't call them meetings now, they call them Workshops. :rotfl:

I think they are now more in line with SW, in that the focus is much more on health and well-being, not just weight loss and trying to flog you ready meals. They do sell a range of confectionery and biscuit type things at their workshops but I don't even look at them. I don't need them.

Would joining online suit you if you don't fancy the workshops. And of course there are the magazine, cookbooks etc. I bought myself an eating out guide and a shopping guide and I think that's all I need. I don't think I need bother with cookery books.

I think if you can cook and enjoy being creative in the kitchen then you can adapt your favourite recipes to suit. I find having lots of spices and herbs helps jazz things up a bit and stops me getting bored.

I do save points by not eating potatoes or grains. I eat things like butter bean mash, cauliflower or carrot mash, cauliflower "rice" and spiralised veg instead of pasta. All freestyle, nil point.:rotfl:

I now eat around 10 portions of fruit, veg or salads most days and have introduced some vegetarian meals, such as shepherds pie using lentils and veg curry. I eat plenty of chicken and fish and I now eat red meat just once or twice a week.

I really don't feel remotely deprived, hungry or bored. And definitely no sugar or carb cravings. In fact I can't stand the smell of the bread aisle in the supermarket now. It just smells of chemicals to me and if I eat shop bought cakes and biscuits they seem to have a really unpleasant aftertaste. My palate has really changed.

I have to say I feel great, no stomach problems or headaches so it's definitely suiting me. And of course losing weight at long last is just fab-u-Lous.:D

Just edited to add......apparently they have decided to call themselves WeightWatchers again......lol.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought, Moll. If you don't want to join and want a points guide, I could buy a copy of the shopping guide and post it to you. I think that's probably all you need.

Just let me know.......
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up for anyone that likes No7 from Boots. It maybe on the site somewhere. I heard Martin on the radio explaining that if you buy 2 products you can have a spring gift set 'free'. He suggested buying 2 nail polishes quite cheaply and then the gift set has about £26 of products. I haven't looked at what's in there but could be useful for someone.