Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again - Page 112

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 11:33AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 258.1K views

Replies

• Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dorothy60 wrote: »
    Oh, that was meant to be a quote, but I don't know how to do quotes, can someone educate me please?

You have to click that little orange bubble in the bottom of the post you want to quote. Then when you click post reply the quote will be in your message, if that makes sense.:)
  • Dorothy60Dorothy60 Forumite
    86 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    You have to click that little orange bubble in the bottom of the post you want to quote. Then when you click post reply the quote will be in your message, if that makes sense.:)

Oooh, it works - thankyou
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I just read what he says about it.

I just ordered some Ashwagandha and super strength Vitamin C and B complex vitamins.:)

I'm going to rattle when I walk with the amount of supplements I take.:D

I've got brazil nuts and hazelnuts coming in the shopping as they are supposed to boost your selenium levels.

I'm doing a hair treatment, body brush and then putting on body oil after my shower tonight. I'm planning on having a healthy dinner with a big salad.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday.....yeah that treatment plan sounds about right. Good luck.
  • savingfortomorrowsavingfortomorrow Forumite
    971 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭

BP has hundreds of uses......anything from moisturising to fixing a squeaky door hinge.:rotfl: If I was marooned on a desert island and could only take one product, it would be my 1st choice. Lol

BP in relation to aquous cream stands for british pharmacopoeia- the big recipe book for all things drug related. There are three versions american, russian and english generally used

I have wariness of SLS. It is a cheap ingrediant. It has flared my hair and scalp up. I avoid it like the plague on my scalp.

Aqueous cream is inexpensive and generally the most cost effective item is on a formulary in a given area. (It does not mean best but value for money) This is compounded with the fact that people have the general notion of that it worked for a family member and can be very hostile to change.

I generally am concerned about the fire risk of paraffin creams also. They are very effective but based on oil. There have been warnings regarding burns. I know they are cheap but sometimes with the increased use of stoves in houses accidents occur.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 2 April 2019 at 10:21PM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2019 at 10:21PM
    Thanks for the clarification of BP. And you are right about the link between paraffin wax based products and the risk of burns.

I too now avoid SLS in shampoo, it really upsets my scalp. I also try to wash my hair less frequently than I used to.

I suppose the thing we have to remember is that everyone is different, and what some people may use safely can cause allergic reactions in others. Some people do seem to have skin like "old boots" that can withstand rougher treatment whilst others can have very delicate skin.

I tend to take the view that if something is safe to ingest then it's probably ok to put it on your skin. So if you are allergic to strawberries then maybe it's not a good idea to make a strawberry based face mask, similarly if you have a nut allergy then maybe it would be a good idea to avoid using sweet almond oil on your skin. Luckily, There are usually plenty of viable alternatives.

Having spoken about Cetraben earlier today I noticed they were advertising it on TV. (I hadn't seen the ads before). So I googled it and checked the ingredients and recommended uses, and it is recommended for excema. It is now widely available without prescription. Not sure if that's a good thing but maybe that's me being overcautious. There are so many different types of excema and different triggers for flare ups I think it is probably better to seek medical help.

Whilst cetraben doesn't contain SLS it is paraffin wax based so again personally I wouldn't use it on delicate areas. I would look for a natural alternative but I can appreciate maybe that's just me being rather a "natural product zealot". ;).
  • edited 2 April 2019 at 10:32PM
    silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2019 at 10:32PM
    Dorothy - after 2 thyroid ops mine is virtually non existent so I've been on Thyroxine for over 30 years. As far as I am aware it is naturally derived and I've never had any problems or side effects HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • I'm in desperate need of an overhaul and weight loss programme too! I'm in!
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm finding all the skin care information mind boggling!

Though, funnily enough, my things to add for April are:

Daily skin care routine
    Eyebrow waxing

I wanted to get out walking in the mornings before work but it's dark again since the clocks changed so I'll need to wait a bit longer.

My eyebrows just need a gentle tidying up so I need to find someone who won't think I'm looking to get my money's worth and make them too thin. There's a local beauty place so I'll give them a go and see how I find them.

Now, skin care routines...I'm looking for suggestions and advice. What products do you use daily/weekly?

I've read that I'm supposed to be doing facial scrubs and masks a couple of times a week, but at the moment I use a facial wash in the shower and then the cheapy aldi moisturiser, though like others here, it makes my eyes water so I need to be careful when applying.

I do need an eye cream, though, as they are looking a bit saggy baggy and wrinkly.
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all it has been interesting reading all the skin care posts, our leader's weekly e-mail features some of the potential downshifts in products'

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2018/08/dont-get-duped-by-beauty-dupes/

For anyone looking for new products Superdrug own ranges get a lot of love from the reputable and knowledgeable beauty press, all animal friendly (as are all their own brand products), not expensive, often on offer and contain I believe useful amounts of the beneficial ingredients. Vit E hot cloth cleanser and senstiive skin range well worth looking at.

Frankie - please be careful and don't dive into doing harsh scrubs, certainly not that stuff with nut shells in, perhaps fine for those with a tough skin, but the acid mantle can so easily be damaged and take months/years to recover.

As someone with sensitised skin from a treatment at a reputable salon (not their fault just my skin being awkward), 5 years later I still have areas which will react to many products.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)