PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Drooling over houses I love but can't afford

Options
MrsJam
MrsJam Posts: 134 Forumite
edited 7 April 2017 at 1:07AM in House buying, renting & selling

Comments

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are going to drool, then drool over something more palatial....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46501071.html

I do like the name of the Estate Agent.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • MrsJam
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »

OMG love it!

Love EA's name haha :)
  • MrsJam
    Options
    eggha wrote: »
    ?

do you mean normal houses I can't afford or do you mean houses that everyone would drool over as being lovely but unaffordable unless you are the super rich ?

a 3 bed terraced house up north may of course be unaffordable to some, but hardly drool territory

Hi,

It's all relevant to what you can afford? Be it up North or down South.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    O.P. I'm amazed that some gullible mug has paid anything close to that asking price for that property, it's insanely overpriced!

It's 2-3 times the price of what other comparable nearby properties on Oldham rd have recently sold for.

Someone has massively overpaid for it, to the extent that I even suspect it may possibly be some form of money laundering exercise.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    O.P. I'm amazed that some gullible mug has paid anything close to that asking price for that property, it's insanely overpriced!
    Ha ha, and here I was amazed at how cheap the property was! I think OH and I really need to think of moving up!

I do love the style and the size of rooms, but I wouldn't want it, firstly because of lack of garden and secondly because of lack of second bathroom. Do those in bed 2 need to go through bed 1 to access the only bathroom? The alternative is to make the small bed 3 the other bathroom, but then it becomes a 2 bed house and we would miss that extra bed space, even though it is a tiny one.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I never drool over huge houses with acres of fancy gardens and grounds., mainly because I can't suspend the reality, which is that such properties are almost a full-time job to maintain and a constant drain on resources.

Even the relatively modest property I have requires hundreds of hours input and around £2k/pa spent outdoors. I could double that easily and still not be extravagant.

So, my Rightmove alerts don't bring me houses that cost more than I could afford, except the one for my very local area which I set high, so that I don't miss any sales from people I might know. ;)

The greatest joy, I find, is that among the properties that are affordable, I rarely see one that I'd want more than the one I have. OK, many might be nicer on the inside, but when it comes to situation, there's usually an easy to spot problem,or two, or three....We learned long ago that nice houses are much easier to find than good situations. Ity was the situation and definitely not the house that swung it here.

The down-side of that is I've no idea where we'll go when I'm too old and decrepit to manage here. Occasionally, I see something and think, "Ah, I could live in that." but experience teaches that these places are never around when required!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »

You go ahead and buy it and we (me, OH and cat) will move into the cottage :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • horseymchorseface
    Options
    don't be deterred, you just need a good broker to get you that 4 million pound mortgage. They will find you a lender who can lend x4500 income
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    MrsJam wrote: »
    Easier said than done but it is potentially within reach (unlike the £4m mansion). A couple earning say £20-25k each with a 10% deposit could probably afford something in that price range.

Alternatively, find a similar property that has not had the work carried out and do it yourself over a couple of years?

I have said this a few times on here, but I bought my first house 4 years ago for £86k. I have spent around £10-12k on it in that time and have recently sold it for £155k, which has meant I am now able to get something bigger and in a nicer area.

If you did something similar, you would then need to me earning around £18k each. Sometimes you just need to look at the bigger picture and put a plan together on how you will get there.

Positive thinking!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • firebird082
    firebird082 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsJam wrote: »

Love the style of that one - clearly I need to move north, as our little 2 up 2 down terrace cost more than that :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure