Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• adrianmarchant
    Options
    Firstly, is there a mathematical error on the breakdown of fuel price, the percentage total comes to 103.4%.
    My main grouse now (like everybody else’s) is the oil companies are ripping us off yet again!
    Oil is bought/sold in US dollars / barrel, the price on 26th Jan was $70.51/barrel (heading down, slightly) the dollar/pound exchange rate ($1.41/£1) this makes the price of a barrel a lot cheaper for the uk market. That means the pump price should be falling, NOT RISING. Again it’s a case of the oil companies RIPPING OFF THE UK MOTORIST.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KingGooner wrote: »
    But they hide certain stations under a padlock that cannot be seen unless you subscribe.
    That together with the pageful of adverts they display means that PetrolPrices.com is a complete waste of time as you have no idea where the cheapest station is and is no longer in my favourites bar.
    Basically they have become a scam site as far as I am concerned. Shame really because they were quite useful when they started out.
    #gapinthemarket

The left column shows the cheapest prices, you don't need to look at the map unless you want to know where the station is.

If you use AdBlock Plus it removes most of the ads - they don't like it because they leave messages all over the place asking you to disable it!
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Geoffrey_Coan
    Options
    The PetrolPrices weekly email is also now useless since it doesn't actually contain the petrol prices, just a link to the website.

However the IOS app is still quite useful, easy to find and see what the petrol prices are in the selected area, and no adverts at all.

Advise to use the app !
    I'd be happier on holiday in Brittany than being at work !
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    TBH If the cheapest price in the e-mail is the same as it was yesterday and the day before etc., I presume it is the same garage as when I last looked it up.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are two petrol stations that have gone completely missing on the petrol prices site for my area now, one of which is usually the cheapest. So not sure I'd even bother trusting it for useful info any more, other than just keeping an eye on the general trend of fuel prices.
  • Robert10
    Options
    Further to this article I've just logged into my petrolprices.com account for the first time in ages, and rather frustratingly it's not as good as it used to be as many forecourts are "locked" - you have to "upgrade to plus" to see them. In my area 5 out of 10 are locked. Grrrr!
  • Geoffrey_Coan
    Options
    I wasn't aware of this either. I logged in to my petrolprices account, and same thing, loads of petrol stations are "locked" and require joining as a plus member for £20 a year.

A few months ago I found I had to unsubscribe from the email alerts because they'd been changed to only give the 'highest and lowest in the area' prices rather than giving the detailed prices for my local petrol stations - making the emails pretty much useless.

The iOS mobile app doesn't (yet) have these restrictions, you can do up to 20 searches (a day?) and it gives all the prices for all the stations in your chosen area. I have occasionally used up all these searches when trying to find cheaper petrol on a long journey and doing multiple searches, a search for 10 miles around a point and then 20 miles around the same point unfortunately count as two searches, but at least the app is still entirely free.

I can understand that PP want to encourage people to pay as they have to pay to obtain the data from the petrol card companies and they've got the cost of the website, app, etc, but £20 a year is a bit steep IMHO.

Geoffrey
    I'd be happier on holiday in Brittany than being at work !
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Might aswell just pay the extra 1p per litre than pay £20 to find the cheapest.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could try https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/petrol-prices

From the main article.......

'PetrolPrices.com allows you to do 20 free searches a month, which should be enough unless you're doing some serious mileage. But an alternative if you need more is a similar Confused.com tool - it covers slightly fewer petrol stations and is only updated once a week, but you can get up to 20 searches a week with a free account.'
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    A few months ago I found I had to unsubscribe from the email alerts because they'd been changed to only give the 'highest and lowest in the area' prices rather than giving the detailed prices for my local petrol stations - making the emails pretty much useless.

Surely you only want to know where the cheapest station in your area which is supplied free.

If you have a larger radius then you can see if there a cheaper garage a few miles away, but bear in mind any money you save may be used by making the extra journey, to and from !

Perhaps I am lucky I can drive approx 1 mile and see the two stations nearest to me (Shell and Asda) and check their prices. A little bit further away is Sainsburys/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport