Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    peteywoods wrote: »
    See below, my offer runs for 12 months but I read this as extending my contract period to 18 months!

If you do not currently have a Sky Premium Contract Pack and are adding one to your Option, the minimum term for the Pack is the same as the Sky TV minimum term shown above.

If you have either of the Sky Premium Contract Packs and are adding another;
    a new contract with a new 18 month minimum term applies to your Sky TV services...

The "Sky Premium Contract Packs" seem to be the Sports or Cinema options which were (as far as I'm aware) rolling monthly contracts and didn't affect your core TV subscription. Those T&C's are saying that if you don't have either then your contract length stays the same. If however you already have one and are adding the 2nd then you're agreeing to a new 18 month minimum term. How this applies to current discounts I have no clue.

Must admit to have never having heard of that before but it "only" seems to apply if you joined Sky TV before 18 July 2017 (no idea what the date implies) according to the following:

http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/new/

under the heading of:

Sky TV customers adding Sky Sports/Sky Cinema Premium Packs

Sky are full of (sometimes) contradictory T&C's which are possibly just legacy ones that have not been removed. When I added a talk package last year I was getting emails and messages on My Sky telling me I'd signed up to a new 12/18 month contract which were just plain wrong.

You need to talk to them and preferably get it in writing.
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    Was on a 60% Off offer paying £24.60 for Variety and Sports on a 31 day rolling contract.

Gave 31 days notice to cancel via Live Chat (UK based) yesterday morning.

Best they could offer was Entertainment @ £15 and Sports @ £15 per month on an 18 month contract with a £10 admin fee.

Could have been £29 per month (Entertainment @ £11 and Sports @ £17 and Kids £1 per month) BUT ONLY if I took the Kids Pack which I don't want or need again on an 18 month contract with a £10 admin fee.

Needless to say very poor and definitely not good enough so cancelled.

Found another offer online immediately after cancelling at sky.com/mydeal (basically an accounts pending cancellation choose your pack type offer) and not easily found via their website! This was so well hidden in fact that the Indian based Live Chat at first denied it even existed and said it was not shown as being an offer available on my account. :mad:

Entertainment @ £13.00 per month (£20 less 35% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Sports @ £14.50 per month (£28 less 48.21428% discount on a 31 day rolling contract)
    Effectively a net total discount of 41.60714%

Then tried Live Chat again yesterday afternoon (Indian based this time) and managed to negotiate what I consider to be a decent deal given the deals some people have been offered and accepted recently.

Entertainment @ £11.00 per month (£20 less 45% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Sports @ £14.50 per month (£28 less 48.21428% discount on a 31 day rolling contract)
    Effectively a net discount of 46.60714%

Accepted that and happy with only a £0.90 per month increase for another 12 months with only the loss of the Kids programmes which were never watched anyway.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Entertainment @ £11.00 per month (£20 less 45% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Effectively a net discount of 46.60714%

Accepted that and happy with only a £0.90 per month increase for another 12 months with only the loss of the Kids programmes which were never watched anyway.

thats quite possibly one of the better offers in recent months. Not bad at all. Can you take 'entertainment' off and put 'kids' on instead? Might be interested in this deal, but again, im in no hurry to go back to sky. Netflix is keeping us busy as far as TV is concerned.
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    Can you take 'entertainment' off and put 'kids' on instead?

The Entertainment pack is the basis of all the Sky TV deals and the one pack you must definitely have.

All the other TV packs and HD options including the Kids pack are separately priced and can be added to the Entertainment pack depending on your requirements.
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My last Sky 12 months deal ended at the start of April (£35pm for everything, prior to that was on another deal, an MSE 12 months @ £30pm) so I actually cancelled this time as no offers or incentives to stay were forthcoming.
    Then this week received this in the post:

IMG_20180524_231315.jpghg33AoHIeir9kHIeir9k
    Does anyone think that this is most likely to be the best offer or still hold off for a while yet?

I really only want the Sports in HD so if my maths are correct: Entertainment @ £13pm, HD @ £1pm and Sports @ £14.50pm = £28.50pm
    but this offer ends (for me anyway) on 31 May.

I'm not bothered about boxsets or the movies
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My last Sky 12 months deal ended at the start of April (£35pm for everything, prior to that was on another deal, an MSE 12 months @ £30pm) so I actually cancelled this time as no offers or incentives to stay were forthcoming.
    Then this week received this in the post:

Does anyone think that this is most likely to be the best offer or still hold off for a while yet?

I really only want the Sports in HD so if my maths are correct: Entertainment @ £13pm, HD @ £1pm and Sports @ £14.50pm = £28.50pm
    but this offer ends (for me anyway) on 31 May.

I'm not bothered about boxsets or the movies

That's not Sports HD, it's HD for the Entertainment channels only. Don't know how much Sports HD would add but that's a decent deal.
  • danmanchester
    Options
    Cheers, I didn't know that they charged Sports HD separately although with Sky nothing surprises me.. so I guess that's going to add £5 or so.. I will call them in the next couple of days and see what they say.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My last Sky 12 months deal ended at the start of April (£35pm for everything,

BTW is that for 12 months?
  • danmanchester
    Options
    BTW is that for 12 months?

Yes, I went back to Sky in April/May 2016 on a £30 MSE offer - this one:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70624704#post70624704
    and when that was coming to an end in April 2017 I called up the 31 days notice to cancel and got offered another 12 months for £35.60.

Tried the same this year when the £35.60 deal was coming to end but no offer to stay so actually went through with cancellation. But that was for everything: HD Sports and Entertainment, Boxsets, Movies etc. although I know now that all the packs have changed but if I can get Ent & Sports in HD for around £30ish I'll most likely take it.
  • ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went onto sky to look at deals for my fibre broadband which was ending 13th August

Was on sky fibre max with free line rental = total £25

Went to thinking about cancelling my fibre and was offered £10 off on the site
    Then onto live chat link
    (had to wait a few minutes till it came up available)
    and asked what they could offer similar to my
    Current offer
    Was immediately offered
    Sky fibre max at £14.01
    And line rental at £8.99
    Total for any fibre max £23
    12 month contract

Hope this helps someone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing