The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

rtandon - I'm happy to pay due deference to Remembrance Sunday, but quite frankly, the hoo-har over all hallows eve can be stuck where the sun dunna shine :o I like listening to a commercial radio station that plays classical music, over the ad free BBC alternative. But the promos for W1lks 'party gear' are quite frankly getting on my ***s. And yes, I AM going to come a cropper when BG is older and wants to join in all the gratuitous 'candy gathering'..... ugh! :(

*Passes beanie some smelling salts*........... :kisses3:

Well, we've come to the end of a 3 week stint that has had virtually *everything* in it. Highs, lows, sadness, happiness, tears, laughter, sunshine, rain, giggles and grumps.

I wouldn't change my life :D

I suppose the vein running through the last 3 weeks has been 'people'. Some have let me down very badly, others have lifted me to dizzying heights with their love and support. BG seems to have carried on growing and developing through it all :Ddespite having me as their parent :rotfl:

We're still on course with the housekeeping. Which is good. And we've bought items *as we've gone along* for the FB this month, so that pleases me - although it would please me more if I knew that the blessed stuff was actually getting to the people that need it, more quickly.......

We had pizza and pasta for tea last night, as I did remember to remove the pizza from the freezer to defrost whilst I was out. When I got in, I just cooked some macaroni and then ran some red pepper pesto through it - so not exactly complicated :o But it made a nice change, and was 'convenience' food, when we needed it to be.

I've not yet decided what to 'curry' for this evening's meal. I'll give it some thought just now. There is cardboard box cod and half a bag o' oven chips in the freezer for tomorrow night's tea, and we have mushy peas :D Although unless the weather improves, I slightly doubt we will be doing much adventurising tomorrow :(

Right, I can't think of much else MS to report in with, so best go and do the washing up and get started with Saturday. BG has gone down for a nap. I think they have enjoyed themselves this last few weeks, with new experiences and in new places, but I think they are a little exhausted too :D A period of calm is ahead (hopefully), so we can all rest and recharge.

Ta for popping by, reading and fainting at my words..... don't think I've had that before, :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: But it's all appreciated :D:D:D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...all the gratuitous 'candy gathering'..... ugh! :(

ugh indeed! :D nothing like little ones bouncing off the walls from sugar overdose! :rotfl:

...was thinking more along the lines of celebrating of the end of the harvest, and a preparing for the winter... the start of hibernating,
    warm sweaters, crafting and hot toddies!

So nice to hear that little BG has been enjoying adventuring & new experiences :D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,306 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It never fails to amaze me how some people behave especially in times of crisis. It brings out the very best and the very worst in people.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    My mother always said that we hadn't reached the stage of poverty where we needed to go begging door to door if we mithered about trick or treat which I now see was a cunning plan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon - I think your celebration of the end of harvest, and looking 'forward' to the next season is lovely. I guess it has now been 'marketized' by being branded 'Hygge' though. Interestingly I was chatting with a friend yesterday as to how you 'pronounce' the word 'Hygge' :rotfl: Their grasp of all things Scandi was a dollop better than mine, as you might have guessed :D

Ooof, beanie there are several folk I would definitely run away from in a crisis, not toward. Whatever their given profession :eek:

redofromstart - I like your mother's style! :rotfl:And let's face it - that whilst i will freely admit to being an auld fossil, the whole 'halloween' gubbins has really exploded in the last few years. I really don't know how to avoid it. My parent's had it easy - we lived in the middle of nowhere when I was young :( 'Bobbing' for apples was as kerayzee as it got in our neck of t'woods...................... :rotfl:

I'm currying 'mixed veg' for tea. It'll use up a load of gifted produce :D I have made a rogan josh curry paste, and will chop all the veg up just now and give it a light steam. I'll do some lentil dahl and steamed basmati to accompany. It be nowt like anything you can get from a takeaway............... :rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sliding in to add my view on halloween shinanigans!

I don't allow the little Hinge's to go trick or treating, we spend every other day of the year teaching them no to knock on strangers doors and not take sweets from strangers so why it it ok to do it for halloween?!

Instead we have a family night at home, a picnic buffet that includes hot dog and spagetti spiders, a skull jelly and fruit punch with jelly worms in! We watch a "scary" movie and some play games..... broomstick races, team games of wrapping up the mummy in loo roll, apple bobbling, blindfolded " feel it" box (jelly, cold beans, shaving foam etc......) They dress up and carve pumpkins and sometimes they even answer the door with sweets..... although superman usually gives them a lecture in why trick or treating is wrong :o

Now they are at school they go to the halloween disco too, before that we could usually find a local group hosting a halloween party.

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Ugh. Woke up from a horrible dream :( If I say it featured my premature demise, you'll know it t'weren't pleasant :( All to the bl0ddy soundtrack of Nimrod, too! I'm obviously listening to that radio station too much - or they play it too many times a day!

Anyhoo, I've been productive :D I've got my meal plan sorted for next week :D I've woven in Anjum Anand's Lemony Spinach Hotpot too :j Does life get any better? I've also now cooked my black beans and they are nestling in the freezer, ready to be turned into the Feijoada with the l/o pumpkin which is residing in the freezer too :D

I'm up-to-date with my accounts, and have sufficient money in the kitty, as long as I don't have a haircut this month! I think it will just about be ready to be cut by November - but it's grown so fast this time around! Typical now that the price has gone up! :rotfl:

Tea last night was entirely edible - don't think that I'm going to set the culinary world alight with my creation anytime soon though :D It didn't help that I totally forgot to put the (fresh) coriander in the rogan josh paste - and I even had some in the fridge! :doh: Still, 'mixed veg rogan josh' was quite tasty, very filling with the dhal and rice, used up gifted produce and didn't cost much to make. Not bad properties, eh?

I've got to do something with two - yes, two! - gifted red cabbages :think: I'm not entirely sure why someone would think you could devour two red cabbages in as many weeks, but still. I know that there are many recipes that I could do, it's just trying not to make too much of one thing so that we get sick of it. I've never had much success with braised red cabbage - which I know you can freeze. Mine never stays beautifully red. Reverting to grey/green instead :( I know you can do coleslaw, and I love the Leon recipe for 'mackerel skies salad'. But do I want to eat this all now (no room in the freezer at present, either :(). Ah well, there are worse problems to have in life, eh?

Oh, I had meant to mention that whilst my 'Try Harder Trimester' was a mixed bag of success in terms of achieving things within the specific timeframe, the act of writing it all down is still reaping dividends, as - for example - getting the ExHD was on the list. OK, so I'm several months late, but I've got one, and have started the process of taking pictures off my computer harddrive. DH has embarked on a DIY job that was on the list too. It's a relatively small job, but requires time, patience and skill - and is the sort of thing to take DH out of his comfort zone. OK, it's not finished and there is plenty to yet go wrong potentially, but DH started it, because it was on the list and I nagged................. :rotfl:

mary - thank you for your post about halloween. I do worry a bit about peer pressure, especially when BG is of school age. But you're right - about teaching 'stranger danger' for 99% of the year, and a silly, trumped up 'holiday' unravelling all that. And you have demonstrated that it is possible to weave through these events with a nod to 'organised' things, whilst making fun memories of your own. I am a little worried that it will get a little 'samey' with there only being the 3 of us, but no need to let that stop us, either. eh?

Right, can't think of owt else MS to bore on about. Best go back to waiting for the rest of the household to wake-up I guess.

Toodle pip for now.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,306 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...I've got to do something with two - yes, two! - gifted red cabbages :think: I'm not entirely sure why someone would think you could devour two red cabbages in as many weeks, but still. I know that there are many recipes that I could do, it's just trying not to make too much of one thing so that we get sick of it. I've never had much success with braised red cabbage - which I know you can freeze. Mine never stays beautifully red. Reverting to grey/green instead :( I know you can do coleslaw, and I love the Leon recipe for 'mackerel skies salad'. But do I want to eat this all now (no room in the freezer at present, either :(). Ah well, there are worse problems to have in life, eh?...

Gotta love benefactors who gifts fresh veg!!!
    How about sauerkraut...keeps the bright vibrant colour well!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon - I am only getting given them as I suspect the non-gardening parental doesn't want them/know what to do with them...... ;):D Sauerkraut is a step too far for me I am afraid :( I like the concept of probiotics very much, but daren't risk doing anything like that myself. I'd have my dream come true.... possibly :(:rotfl:

Which would be fortunate for you lot, as finally I would possibly shut up! :cool::rotfl::rotfl:

DH has finished the DIY job. It looks good enough and cost very little money, but quite a bit of time.

Right, lunch calls :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure