The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take 'em back and demand a refund? You weren't in the market for compost! The sale of goods act could be invoked. The goods were not of merchandisable quality and not fit for purpose.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Verbatim - you did make me laugh :D You're quite, quite right.

I know that I don't have my receipt still, although they are FF's 'own branded product, so there's no reason they should be dificult. But the combination of it being frozen food, out of the way and I have no receipt, makes me unwilling to chase it up with them. I'll try the other bag, if its the same, I'll make expensive compost :o and remember in future that the product quality is not up to standard. I won't shop there again. I only bought the leeks to purchase some spinach on the 5 for £4 deal. It's no longer convenient, as it takes up too much freezer space anyway. I'll buy my spinach from elsewhere and buy one bag at a time.

I doubt they care that they've lost a customer. Our local store isn't the best place to shop at the best of times. And FF is no longer as bargainacious as it once was, so it's no loss to me.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    I've done my bits of banking, and purchased the TV mag :D

I also called into h3ron f00ds and got some frozen veg. I got some 'easy peelers' and lemons from HB too. Shows how unwordly I am, the easy peelers are produce of Croatia. Whilst I know the weather can be gorgeous there, I didn't realise they had a citrus industry. You learn a new thing every day :D

I ordered some craft materials online and remembered to use a coupon! :j so got 10% off :j

The bank my CPP claim is in with/been dismissed with are now writing to tell me again that I've no grounds and would I hurry up and accept the amount they've offered (commission payment %age?) or take it to the ombudsman, because I've only got 6 months...... Aye, I've got a life to lead and a family to look after too....... ;)

Right, best crack on with a bit more :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,464 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree FF not the best :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Getting a little later with my waking up - go me :rotfl:Still awoke from a dream, but can't remember it, and I don't think it was scary/sad. So improvement there :D

Unfortunately, as expected, the 'new' bag of leeks was as dire as the first. Honestly, I think the manufacturer must have used every part of the leek. The contents were 70% very, very dark green - there were even very obvious leek leaf 'tips' in there :( Now, I'm not one for waste, and I use much, much more of a HG leek than would ever be in a supermarket 'trimmed' leek package. But usually HG leeks are young and fresh - and edible. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought these leeks had been around a-while and it was actually the 'trimmings' that were bagged up over the leek shanks themselves :(:rotfl: My compost heap is definitely going to be 80p 'richer' :o The last splodge of cream did make the soup more palatable, but stringy roughage is stringy roughage, and not a pleasure to eat. I may well have put DH off leek and tattie soup for a while - t'was his favourite :(

Anyway, enough complaining. I'm voting with my feet and won't buy the product again.

Tea this evening will be Lemony Spinach hot pot, with brown rice. I don't have aubergine though, so it won't quite be as per the recipe.

I don't think that we need anything today. DH did a top up shop of 'basics' yesterday. I'm a bit saddened that mrL have changed the packaging of the cheese we buy - I know that it doesn't necessarily translate to the contents being different - I have yet to open it. But they have taken a perfectly ok brand 'valley spire' and 'down-graded' it to 'simply'. Just to copy mrAl's 'Everyday Essentials'. I really do realise that it is no bother if the product inside is still made in the same manner, it just seems so..........pointless? I suppose I need to remain grateful that the price point and packet grammage have remained the same and have done with it :D All the other supermarkets are 'ugrading' and dispensing with the 'valoo' brands, the discounters are going back to them.

I was reading in the press yesterday about the predicted call on FB's leading to shortages. I do so hope that my donations have finally got to where they were meant to be over a month ago :( I do also hope I will have some grocery money left over this month, maybe to enhance my giving over the next couple of months. Although I may have to rethink where I donate.......

Right, there is snap to be prepped. Coffee has been drunk :D Best get along tuit.

Ta for popping in. Always appreciated. Always.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you slept a bit better.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • beanielou
    Options
    If I was you I would call FF's head office & let them know that the leeks were inedible. Really not on.
    I dont let things like that go now.
    I get meaner by the day.

As an aside you would be amazed how many seriously out of date things our local food bank are given.
    Why cant people just put them in the bin :eek:

Enjoy your day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Thanks apple :D
    beanielou wrote: »
    If I was you I would call FF's head office & let them know that the leeks were inedible. Really not on.
    I dont let things like that go now.
    I get meaner by the day.

As an aside you would be amazed how many seriously out of date things our local food bank are given.
    Why cant people just put them in the bin :eek:

Enjoy your day.

Now see beanie I wouldn't class your actions as meaness. I think you are a marshaller of resources - and when one of your resources (money in this instance) is abused because of someone else's lack of care, or oversight, or profiteering or whatever; you call them out on it. That is admirable. Not mean.

I have just thrown out the bags (the leeks are in the compost), but if I can fish the bags out of the bin easily and get hold of any 'production' codes - I know that the leeks were still 'in date' - then I'll explore how easy it is to send my observations along to FF.

Sadly I am not surprised about the 'out of date' stuff that gets donated to the FB. And whilst the food is probably OK, and many an MSE'r would use it, why should folk expect clients to want to eat it? It's about respect for your fellow human. Ah well, all we can do is keep swimming against the tide and give what we can, using our budgetary skills, open hearts and open minds.

The cheese from mrL does seem a little more 'bland' - but i'm willing to accept it may just be perception on my part. It's probably made in the same factory as it always was, packed on the same line....... it's just I choose mature cheddar for the taste. This was nearer to mild...... although the packet is quite clearly labelled 'mature'.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    Options
    What we do at our FB is we have a shelf that things go on if they are not to out of date & clients can choose to take them if they want but are not given them as part of their allocation if that makes sense?
    Depending on what it is of course.

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    What we do at our FB is we have a shelf that things go on if they are not to out of date & clients can choose to take them if they want but are not given them as part of their allocation if that makes sense? Yes, it does :D
    Depending on what it is of course.

You are a true marshaller of resources beanie - both of your own and of others :T:T:T

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure