What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Options

Comments

• Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've gone from many a named brand in Tescos/Sainsburys to the value products, but still consider that I'm only dipping my toe in the water compared to use Aldi/Lidl/Netto.

I only used to touch Kelloggs Cornflakes or Weetabix or Co-Co Pops..now we have own brand and they're much the same.

I won't compromise on Pepsi/Coke, but then I only buy it once in a blue moon.

I use Sainsburys more because its local, but anyone else noticed how everything has shot up in price in there since 1st April? Something else I wouldn't have noticed 6 months ago..but boy, 17p on this and 9p on that..I counted 8 items that have gone up MORE than 10% in the last week. Including petrol it's now 93.9p around here and it didn't go up in the budget!!

It really is rip-off-Britain in my opinion. And I'm going to try Lidl's out for my next shop.
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    My golf and my football team, if i wanted i could do nothing and pay an extra 150-200 a month of but golf is good exercise for my diet and well Norwich is Norwich!

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    Options
    I won't buy own brand cereal or toothpaste, yuck to both. Also, I will ONLY buy free range eggs.

I wouldn't consider giving up my broadband internet connection for even a millisecond and I couldn't go without a minimum of a one week holiday each year, even if it's just camping in the UK. I tried not going on holiday about three years ago, but I just felt so miserable that I was on holiday from work, but not ON holiday, it just isn't worth it to me to cut it out and I do save in advance for spending money.
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amosworks wrote:
    It's usually themed also, so one week will be discounted seafoods, the next week cleaning products, the next week pet products etc.
    My local Aldi did a special on boltcutters last week. This week, no one in the area has a bike!
  • molesworth
    molesworth Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of people have mentioned free-range chicken and eggs and I agree. But we decided some time ago to buy only free-range pork - including sausages and bacon of course - for the same reasons. I'd rather eat it less often than have to think about how the animals live. It tastes so much better too. I've only just cottoned on to the fact that duck is factory farmed (duh!) so have had to stop buying that.

Other than that, I still buy McVitie's digestives. I've tried cheaper brands but they don't taste the same to me (they seem sweeter).

I have an awful feeling now that someone is going to tell me disgestive biscuits contain fats that come from factory farmed animals...
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote:
    Hope that free range chicken of yours doesnt get bird flu.
    I think it's safe from bird flu, but it does look like it's got a serious case of Mad Chicken Disease! :rotfl:
    Actually I think it's a little too late now.

tesuhoha wrote:
    Oh you mean it made you sick
    Yes, and as the Australians say, I was riding the porcelain bus.

Sleekit wrote:
    My local Aldi did a special on boltcutters last week. This week, no one in the area has a bike!
    Oh dear lol :-\ My local Lidl did a special on pets stuff one week and had cat litter at 99p for 10Kg!! We must have driven home with half a metric ton in the boot :D That is definitely stuff we use so was a fantastic buy. Regular price: £1.69 (which even for 10Kg is good).

molesworth wrote:
    Other than that, I still buy McVitie's digestives. I've tried cheaper brands but they don't taste the same to me (they seem sweeter).
    I have an awful feeling now that someone is going to tell me disgestive biscuits contain fats that come from factory farmed animals...
    Nope (just man-made hydrogenated oils, which can give you heart attacks) but I think you'll find this quite interesting:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=23002
    It's the Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt :)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh dear the poor old thing has caught both viruses at the same time. Hope they dont mutate
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Lydia.42
    Lydia.42 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    Willing to do most things but can't eat anything but Heinz ketchup, and other half wont use value teabags.
    Other than that, not too fussed.
    :rotfl:
    What's he building in there???
    Debt at highest £30,450 (Dec 05)
    Debt at lowest £9, 113 (Jul 07)
    How much did we over spend whilst on maternity leave :mad:
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote:
    Oh dear the poor old thing has caught both viruses at the same time. Hope they dont mutate

Thanks amosworks! I nearly choked on my own-brand coffee laughing at your new avatar!

Loving your work, baby!
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ali-OK wrote:
    I only used to touch Kelloggs Cornflakes or Weetabix or Co-Co Pops..now we have own brand and they're much the same.

Oh Ali, Definitely not true for Kellogg's Cornflakes, nobody, but nobody makes cornflakes as scrummy as Kellogg's & they don't make them for anybody else. :)
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure