Octopus Energy Wheel Of Fortune. Anybody "won"?

Options
ProDave
ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
I am with Octopus for my electricity. When you submit a meter reading on line, you then get a go at spinning their Wheel of fortune.

This is a wheel divided into 12 segments, of which five are £0 and seven have a value, most £1 but there is one £512.

Now I have spun the wheel 12 times now and won nothing. The law of probability suggests of 12 spins, with only five segments being £0 I ought to have won something by now.

So to try and determine if there is any chance of winning something, even just £1, I invite anyone that has won something to please tell us and how much. And how many spins it took before you won?

Comments

• ProDave
    Options
    My point though is to find out if it is really possible to win, or if it is rigged. So it would be interesting to hear for example someone saying I won £1 after 15 spins.
  • ProDave
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that.

Now then, Octopus do say you can submit a meter reading whenever you like. Who is going to send a meter reading every single day to get more spins on the wheel?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining that.

Now then, Octopus do say you can submit a meter reading whenever you like. Who is going to send a meter reading every single day to get more spins on the wheel?

Actually if you'd read the link properly it says "You get one spin per month, per fuel". So you can submit every day if you want, you're still only going to get up to two spins.

Personally I would say that things like this are just a bit of fun, nice if you win, not the end of the world if you don't.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We won on the Octopus Wheel of Fortune a couple of months ago and noticed that the prize had not been credited to our account. When we emailed Octopus Customer Services to enquire after our prize, Adman emailed back saying, "Please be kindly advised that looking at your account we were unable to find any credited prize". Er yes, we already knew that Adnan because we just emailed Octopus to ask where it was.

Adnan asked for a screenshot or photo to prove we had won. Silly us. We trusted that their computer systems would work as designed and pay out, therefore we did not take screenshots. I have asked for an escalation point and for the matter to be referred to their IT department, but Adnan has suddenly gone very quiet. Hopefully this is because he is enjoying a well earned seasonal break and will reply when he is back in the office again.

Lesson learnt. If you do win on the Octopus Wheel of Fortune, take a screenshot like @PeteCBarrett, just in case...
  • rstmart
    rstmart Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    was with Octopus for around 18-months and never had any wins on wheel of fortune, saying that was v.happy with service but left as d/d went up massively and could 'supposedly' get better deal with Scottish Power + cashback.
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    This is a wheel divided into 12 segments, of which five are £0 and seven have a value, most £1 but there is one £512.

Now I have spun the wheel 12 times now and won nothing. The law of probability suggests of 12 spins, with only five segments being £0 I ought to have won something by now.
    You may need to swot up on statistical probabilty.

Just like when you toss a coin 12 times, on the 12th time it's still a 50/50 chance it will be heads, irrespective of the previous 11 results, including if they were all tails.

That is because each event is discrete.

That's true past results don't change the probabilities with the next spin, but presumably the OP was suggesting that the probability of spinning 12 times and winning nothing, is low.

The chance is 5/12 ^ 12, which is 1 in 36,520

Tossing a coin and getting heads a hundred times in a row, has a very low probability, but it doesn't change the fact that on the next toss, the chance is still 50:50

It seems that the OP's low probability outcome is explained in your later post when you point out that, it fact the wheel is just a way of showing the result, rather than an indication of the odds of winning.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    Options
    I haven't won when I do the Wheel of Fortune but super annoyingly when I go through the app (which is what it's designed for) it doesn't offer it to you so I always forget about it!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • M0ney
    M0ney Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll piggy back onto this thread with a question of my own. I'm getting a smart meter from Octopus next month for my electric, will I still get my 2 free spins? Ive never had a smart meter but I'm assuming that I'll no longer need to manually read my meter.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    Options
    M0ney good question - I found they are quick to respond on their contact form though so I'd definitely put the question to them! Why should you miss out!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    M0ney wrote: »
    I'll piggy back onto this thread with a question of my own. I'm getting a smart meter from Octopus next month for my electric, will I still get my 2 free spins? Ive never had a smart meter but I'm assuming that I'll no longer need to manually read my meter.

No, you don't get the free spins if you have a smart meter. We have an Octopus smart meter so we can be on Octopus Go and since it changed their is no need to enter meter readings; so no spin of the wheel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback