Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least you know for the future. I carry a copy of Vauban's guide and the regs on my phone when traveling. :)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • super_saint
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi,

This info is courtesy of The BA Source....

British Airways A320 G-GATJ Overnight Larnaca Delay.
    Aug 17, 2019
    British Airways A320 G-GATJ operated BA2620 London Gatwick – Larnaca with a two hour delay this evening causing the return BA2674 to be delayed overnight due to crew not having sufficient hours to operated back to London Gatwick.

What this shows is that BA knew before the flight departed London that the crew would be out of hours and the return flight would be cancelled as a consequence.

They could have changed crew at London or sent out a new crew to fly the aircraft back,,, but didn't.
    They could have looked at alternative ways of getting you back on alternative airlines,,, but didn't.

BA are on the hook for compensation so try to pursued them via a telephone call to their call centre one more time, suggesting the above and pointing out that their reasoning is not an Extraordinary Circumstance.

If they still won't play ball ask them for a deadlock letter so you can ask their ADR provider, CEDR, to adjudicate on the circumstances of your claim. It is free. Details here...

https://www.cedr.com

Good luck.

Many thanks for your response - I have sent a mail to BA quoting the above. I will let you know outcome
  • super_saint
    Options
    Many thanks for your response - I have sent a mail to BA quoting the above. I will let you know outcome

So BA have again refused - so I guess I need a deadlock letter then take to CEDR?

Although reading reviews of CEDR this appears a waste of time!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CEDR eventually found in my favour.
    But it is a pain in the a... to use.
    The website submission is not very intuitive.
    Basicaly, get ALL of your arguments, legal basis, facts, evidence etc in at the very begining as you never quite know whats happening (if anything) at a later stage.
    And you ned to keep hounding them to keep to the timetables.
    Make your deadlock request also as an NBA/LBA then you can go straight to small claims if CEDR mess it up.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Justice13075
    Options
    My son and his girlfriend had a BA flight cancelled BA 0717 Zurich to Heathrow on Tuesday 1st October 2019. They were told by a customer service agent at the Airport that it was cancelled because of code 96 Anything other than technical. They applied for compensation which was refused siting adverse weather conditions. I haven't access to weather sites could anybody have a look for me.
  • garlieston
    garlieston Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2019 at 9:31PM
    Options
    According to the METAR reports for both Zurich and Heathrow on 1st oct there was no adverse weather at any time of the day.
    the IATA delay code 96 has f all to do with weather ,IATA codes for weather delays start with 7

Code 96 (RO): Operations control, rerouting, diversion, consolidation, aircraft change for reasons other than technical.

As usual the airline are having you over
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Thanks for that but does it show any Cancellations out of Zurich on the at day?
  • garlieston
    Options
    Not got a flight stats subscription at the moment but absolutly no reason for a weather delay ,most things for that delay code should be something within their control so to blame the weather just confirms they are lying and it was a decision within their control
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son and his girlfriend had a BA flight cancelled BA 0717 Zurich to Heathrow on Tuesday 1st October 2019. They were told by a customer service agent at the Airport that it was cancelled because of code 96 Anything other than technical. They applied for compensation which was refused siting adverse weather conditions. I haven't access to weather sites could anybody have a look for me.

Both the flights to and from Zurich were cancelled....

http://thebasource.com/01-10-19-british-airways-flight-cancellations/#more-92060

But there were some thunderstorms in the London area....

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/london/historic?month=10&year=2019

However, it seems that the CAA did sanction some cancellations which means BA cab avoid compensation in those cases....

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/Am-I-entitled-to-compensation-/

Personally, I thought the CAA were there to implement the EU261 rules, not change them or design them for their own (and BA's) convenience.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • garlieston
    garlieston Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2019 at 9:59PM
    Options
    Tyzap ,the BA 717 flight is not on the CAA list of sanctioned cancellations, it only appears on the BA list of flights that did not operate that day ,the Zurich one shown on the CAA list is a Swissair one ,not a code share is it ? ,sounds like the cancellation was on the day, not precancelled the day before,so could still be game on. Thunderstorms were in the area of Heathrow 2:50pm to 6:20pm ,i was thinking it was the Zurich end that was going to be the problem. Could the OP please post the actual scheduled flight time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback